Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone buying the new Outlaw receiver 1070?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted August 29 2005 - 06:23 PM

I put in for the registration list, but am not sure if I should lay down the cash. Plus, the added import costs to Canada would kill me.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 02:17 AM

It's so good in so many ways - and I suspect the quality will be top notch for the price - but without an HDMI/DVI input/switcher it's already less than optimal right out of the gate, if not exactly obsolete on arrival.

Why do I think this is so important? Obviously, it is the future standard for Blue-ray/HD-DVD, but at present I'd love a way to switch between the HDMI/DVI digital inputs from my HD-cable box and my upscaling DVD via HDMI player. At present, I'm limited to only one digital-in (and the improvement over component is quite obvious on my monitor). And, more than that, an HDMI input provides much more flexibility for audio, and will pass hi-res DVD-A tracks digitally so that 6 analog cables are no longer necessary (or you can preserve that single set of multichannel inputs for an SACD player).
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 08:43 AM

I ordered mine yesterday. I only have Component inputs on my display so the HDMI issue is meaningless for me. I'll post my impressions once it is all set up - might be a while.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 03 2005 - 03:10 AM

The Outlaw 1070 DOES have a DVI switcher. They also have detailed their reasons for excluding HDMI from their products under the 990 FAQ.

Quote:
Q. Why does the Model 990 have DVI switching instead of HDMI?

A. At this time we believe that the more stable DVI format is a more appropriate choice, since it is well established and totally compatible with HDMI from a video standpoint. Unfortunately, HDMI is still a moving target, with the 1.2 specifications still awaiting final release. More importantly, there is a big unknown regarding the specifications of the ñnextî version of HDMI that will allow transport of Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD data streams. (Indeed, the actual specs for the two codecs, themselves, have not been released either.) At this time it is impossible for the Outlaws or anyone else to know if a hardware, rather than software upgrade will be required to accommodate those two new formats on HDMI and with existing DSP engines. Quite frankly, we preferred to select a viable digital video format that is useable today rather than risk a high-cost solution that appears not to be ready for prime time.

Q. What about 1394/iLink?

A. While 1394 is available on a small number of current DVD-Audio/SACD players, the best information we have points to some form of HDMI as the carrier of choice for the audio portion of either of the forthcoming high definition optical formats, or any consolidated format that may emerge. To include 1394 on the Model 990 would cost-penalized the vast majority of customers by adding expensive parts that would be used by only a small percentage of users.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark M. Smith

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted September 06 2005 - 07:06 AM

I have ordered one, but it's still shipping. I should have it tommorrow or so and I'll try to get my impressions up later this week. The first batch have just been trickling out recently. I'd say good information on how the receiver works in a variety of real world settings should be readily available in about 2 weeks or so once more people have received them.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted September 12 2005 - 04:19 AM

Got mine - not hooked up though as I'm in the process of moving...will hopefully post my review next week

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark M. Smith

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted September 12 2005 - 10:59 AM

I've had mine, but the weekend involved setting everything up, buying a new TV stand and then tearing everything back down again and moving it all. I'm still getting the speakers set up optimally and tweaking, but so far I've been very happy with it. The biggest complaint that I've heard so far is that it defaults to Dolby PLIIx-C for digital sources and most people find this rather irritating. The advantage is that it does have an RS-232 port so software updates can fix potential problems and possibly even minor quibbles like this.

I'd suggest checking in at the Outlaw forums to get a more representative view of how people feel about them.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 12:26 AM

Quote:
Plus, the added import costs to Canada would kill me.

I am thinking about looking into this model as well.

Paul, what was your total cost with import to Canada? I live in the Toronto/GTA area.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted September 19 2005 - 08:52 AM

I was able to set up the 1070 yesterday and I'd have to say the sounds is pretty great. I also added the LFM-1 to my setup so that has to be taken into account. Still lots of tweaking to get it sounding perfectly, but overall I'm impressed.

A couple issues:
Not sure if this is a cabling or receiver issue, but the Auto turn on for the LFM seems not to be able to detect a signal.

As noted elsewhere, the defaulting to Dolby Pro Logic II when switching sources is annoying. It should remember the last surround scheme I was using when last using that source. I'm looking for a software update on that one.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 12:21 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what the cost is to import it into Canada.

I'm looking at a number of receivers for a big purchase in the new year, but don't really have a clue what price range this is going to fall into.

Forum Nav Content I Follow