What's new

Maximum hole size for counduit (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know what's usually the maximum size hole you can drill in a load barring wall and for a non load bearing wall?

I was wondering what's an economical conduit to run for structured wireing. I saw a blue plastic conduit at the home depot that was about $30 per 100ft for 3/4" and there's also a 1/2" 200ft roll. Is it easy to fish cable trough these conduits or should I get 1" PVC.

Can I put boxes only accessible in the attic so that I can pull cables through less turns.

Thanks for your time.

I want to run counduit so I can upgrade my wires later on or if I want to run different outputs to a location. My sisters do not want to be wired for ethernet now but maybe later they can use it with a flat screen t.v. Some people install a put tape to run their wires later on but I feel like it's safer through conduit.

My load bearing walls on the first floor are 2x6 and the rest of the house is 2x4's.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Conduit makes sense if you are talking about wiring up a projector. If you are thinking to all equipment locations, then I think extra wire will be cheaper. When it comes to holes in studs for a non bearing wall you can have a hole that is 60% of the width of the stud (assuming it is centered). A notch can take up to 40% of the width of a stud. For bearing walls the hold size is 40% and the notch size is 25%. You should verify these numbers with your local building official or builder as they may be different in your area.

TimG

Second Unit
I agree with the others. Pull everything you think you will need now. No sense in doing it all over again when she decides to add data wiring later. The slight added expense now will more than make up for having to do it again later, pull string or not.

TimG

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Unless you are thinking about specialty cables wire is cheaper than the conduit (not counting the projector locations).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks