-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Led Zeppelin....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 David Hobbes

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 11:37 AM

spent some of this weekend watching the DVD of Led Zep....

Simply the greatest rock band of all!!

Jimmy Page is a musical genius and other than Hendrix the greatest rock guitarist of all...his playing, particularly in the early shows (Royal Albert hall footage) is phenomenal....the amount of incredible riffs he created for Zep are unmatched by any other band....

and what separates Zep from the rest is that not only could they play as fast and as loud as any other band, they grooved like no other rock band...thanks to the best bass/drums combo in rock history...

and the variety of music: rock, blues, country, folk, metal...

what a band...

#2 of 17 Max F

Max F

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 11:54 AM

I actually enjoy the second disc the most cause it rocks harder. Seeing Jimi Page give it everything he's got on Achillis Last Stand is an awsome experience. Totally blows the studio version away.

I really like the first disc too! I especially like John B. on the first show. He had it all there right from the beginning. Very tight.

#3 of 17 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 01:00 PM

When I watch their DVD, and the Song Remains the Same, I get very depressed. I doubt very much if we'll ever see another band quite like them that combined musical ability along with excellent and creative writing, and their incredible live performances all together. They were so freaking good! 'Course, I also feel that way about the Who, Deep Purple, Cream, the Allman Bros Band with Duane, Yes, Genesis, mid 70's King Crimson, etc. Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#4 of 17 Max F

Max F

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 01:37 PM

Thats why if i were to time travel, i would go to 1969 and just go to concerts - all the damn time. That is my dream Posted Image

#5 of 17 Chet_F

Chet_F

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 05:23 PM

I think I'll have to watch those 2 again. On a related note I picked up Led Zep - Physical Graffiti and Allman Bros - Live At The Fillmore for a total of $4(both are 2-disc sets). I was as giddy as a little school girl.Posted Image

A big Posted Image to Zep and the Allmans.
"If you’re lucky, people like something you do early and something you do just before you drop dead. That’s as many pats on the back as you should expect." - Warren Zevon 1993, R.I.P.

#6 of 17 Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 07:50 AM

We were really spoiled in those days , weren't we ?
Watched the Who at Royal albert Hall recently too, and they still had it then. The unplugged section gets me every time.
And Travelling Riverside Blues ...Posted Image

M
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#7 of 17 Rob_D

Rob_D

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 11:27 AM

Unlike many other bands, Led Zeppelin is timeless and their music never grows old. Indeed, there will never be another Led Zeppelin, or The Who, Beatles, Stones.............

#8 of 17 JordanS

JordanS

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 04:08 PM

the live version of "Trampled Underfoot" on 'HTWWW' DVD is otherworldly..
Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you.

-Darth....

#9 of 17 Rob_D

Rob_D

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted August 31 2005 - 10:48 AM

HTWWW is the cd, the dvd doesn't actually have a name. I do agree though that Trampled.. from Earl's Court '75 is mindblowing.

#10 of 17 Jan H

Jan H

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 03:31 PM

When The Levee Breaks

an underrated and all-too-topical masterpiece.

Here's hoping our Southern brethren and mademoiselles bounce back.

PEACE

#11 of 17 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,466 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted September 01 2005 - 04:49 PM

Since someone's already started a Zep thread...

I have most of their albums in the original CD releases. I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the remasters. Anybody out there have any opinions on this??

Quote:
They were so freaking good! 'Course, I also feel that way about the Who, Deep Purple, Cream, the Allman Bros Band with Duane, Yes, Genesis, mid 70's King Crimson, etc.
Amen. I just can't see folks 30-40 years from now listening to today's bands the same way we listen to the great bands of the 60s & 70s today.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#12 of 17 Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 01:29 AM

i didn't know there was a new remaster? Unless you mean the 92 remaster. I'd wait, since the 92 one isn't too great on the first 4 albums
Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of...

#13 of 17 Elizabeth_S

Elizabeth_S

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 01:33 AM

one of my favorites of all times.

#14 of 17 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 12:46 PM

I like the remasters. They include most of the original lp artwork, and on Physical Graffiti for example, they put back in the inter-song chatter that was missing from the original CD releases.

I'd really like to see them all remastered for DVD-A or SACD (or Blu-Ray), but we might all be waiting a long time for that. Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#15 of 17 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,466 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 06:16 PM

Yeah, I know the remasters are over a decade old. I bought most of my Zep CDs in the late 80s. I'm just in a period of updating and completing my CD collection and I'm wondering if I should upgrade. DVD-A or SACD would be nice, but there's been nary a hint of that so, like Kevin, I'm not holding my breath.
Quote:
I'd wait, since the 92 one isn't too great on the first 4 albums
Would you consider the 92 remasters of the first four inferior to the original CD releases??

#16 of 17 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 07:07 PM

I wouldn't. You do have to realize that the first 4 lps were all recorded before 1971. There are other limitations than just CD mastering. Posted Image

I had all of the original CDs, and then I got the remasters. I preferred the remasters pretty much across the board.

Here is a really good thread. Make sure to read the whole thing though. A bunch of different opinions in there. Posted Image

http://www.stevehoff....t=led zeppelin

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#17 of 17 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,466 posts

Posted September 03 2005 - 05:04 AM

Quote:
You do have to realize that the first 4 lps were all recorded before 1971. There are other limitations than just CD mastering.
I hear you. I'm not expecting miracles... Posted Image

Thanks for the thread link. I'll check it out.

Forum Nav Content I Follow