What's new

Looking for New TV, please advice (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
Hello everyone!
Back in this area after quite a while. Me and the Mrs are looking to get a good flat screen plasma for the bedroom and have been looking around. I liked the Samsung 42" 4232 plasma at first which goes for around 1700$ at Costco. But upon looking closely i found the model they had wasnt true HD, it was 800 something rez. Theres another Samsung namely 4252 which is around 2500 bucks at BB which is true HD. Theres a Panasonic in that range too.. We really like the 42" display size since its neither too big nor too small to our liking.
We want something unobstrusive which can be hung on the wall and not occupy much space so plasma seems to be the right choice. Budget wise we can go upto the 2500$ thing but less would be better. Also i know i can get probably better deals online.. so if you know of someplace please please PM me if you cant post on the forum. Looking forward to all your inputs.. Really appreciate all the advice.
Regards
Daman

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
For you application, I'd go with the consumer plasma version...one that incorporates tuner, speakers and inputs....unless you have a bedroom audio system in place. Many of the lesser expensive units sold on line are commercial displays which do not have as many inputs (standard) nor speakers. Panasonic would be my choice over Samsung..largely for quality reasons.

Hanging a plasma display on the wall is not as easy as putting up a picture. If you don't want to see wires (inputs and power) running down the wall, it will require opening up the wall to route things. To me, that would also be a benefit as then you'd be sure that the mount would have an adequate supporting structure in the wall at the same time.

Mort

Daman

Second Unit
Mort,
Firstly thanks for replying. I do have a bedroom HT but i havent hooked it up yet since i moved to the new place i am in right now. I probably wont hook it up either because the room would be too messy with all the wires(stay in an rented apt now so can afford to run wires inside the walls). I searched around on cnet and found Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY to have favourable reviews. Do you think that would be a good buy?
Regarding the mount and openings in wall.. i wont be able to do make the opening in the wall for wires but want to mount the unit on the wall neverthless. Wont mind the wires running outside for now. Let me know what you think and thanks again for replying!
Daman

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
IIRC, the PHD7UY is a commercial display (nice one too). The problem will be is that it does not have any speakers, tuners and has somewhat limited inputs (which can be enhanced at an additional cost by buying "blades") If you want to hook it up to an AVR, then you're set....if not, you're SOL ;) The 42PX50, I believe, is the consumer model that comes with speakers, etc.

My plasma sits on a stand, but I've read some real horror stories about people (inexperienced) wall mounting the things and having them pull loose. I'm sure if you followed the mounting hardware directions (making sure to screw into the center of the studs and the like) you'd be OK. You're looking in the neighborhood of 80 pounds and you only get one try. You might want to see if your landlord will have any objections too.

Twere me, and I was renting, I'd just put it on a stand (included with the consumer models) and sit it on a low dresser or hutch.

Mort

Daman

Second Unit
The 42Px50 is another one i was looking at but from the reviews it seems the PHD7UY has better pQ than the former? Im not sure whether it has HDMI input or not(would check on that one) I could hook up the AVR but would prefer not to.. Also the stand seems to be the way to go if its gonna be that tricky.. would hate to see the Unit fall off the wall ;) Thanks once again Mort!
Daman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks