What's new

Florescent lights causing waving patter on TV (1 Viewer)

Hi Guys! Haven't been here for while, so if I'm posting in the wrong forum feel free to move it.

I recently moved into a new apartment and connected all my HT goodies and have noticed a problem. For a while I couldn't figure out what it was.

I tried different cordless phones, adaptors, surge protectors, etc.

I finally figured out is that the wavy red (faint) lines run across my screen only at night. Finally put two and two together and shut off my lights.

Wavey lines gone. I'm using those lights that draw 25W and put out the light of a standard 100W bulb.

Except for a power conditioner (don't know if even this would help) is there anything I can do to help eliminate these lines?

The lights are on a different circuit on the breaker, so I don't know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys! :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Connect digitally to the display?

That may not help.. The problem sounds as if it is RF type interference. Not AC line condition.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
This may sound stuppppid, but why not replace those flourescent lamps with incandescent ones?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I agree chuckg, if they were causing anything on my system, they'd be out in a heart beat. But others wanting to save electricity as a priority may not agree.

rob-h

Second Unit
There use to be a similar problem with computer monitors. What the MFG's ended up doing was packing in a snap on ferrite "thingy" to stop it. Now they come built in. If you look at your monitor (especially if its LCD)where the power and signal cables connect, you will see a plastic cylinder near the end. Some MFG's put them on the power and signal and some just one one or the other.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Can you reverse the plug? Miswiring the hot and neutral makes no difference for incandescent bulbs but might for the electronics in a fluorescent replacement lamp. This was a common problem with miswired light dimmers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks