Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why are syndicated episodes so bad?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#21 of 32 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,545 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Star Trek TOS or Star Trek TNG dvd collections are uncut, original episodes? I assume DS9 and Voyager would be the same since they are later shows, though DS9 has overlap with the last two seasons of TNG.

I think Voyager had some music replacement on one of the seasons; I'm not sure which, though. I didn't watch Voyager much. However, it seems weird; by the time they got to Voyager, Star Trek already had a history with more than one video format, so you'd think they would have acquired the rights for any future format.

Actually, I think in the original series episode, "The City On the Edge of Forever," there was a song that was replaced in the VHS and LD versions, but was actually restored for both DVD incarnations.

I agree, though; Trek fans (especially TOS fans) would have been up in arms if the episodes had been cut.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#22 of 32 OFFLINE   BradleyK

BradleyK

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 10:50 AM

Although obviously I would vastly prefer the original, uncut versions, there are occasions where I would consider purchasing sets that included syndicated episodes.

For me, it comes down to this: would I be able to watch this show on television currently (or am I likely to be able to) in generally the same format as the DVD set? If so, then I will not buy the set. I can watch cut episodes of Roseanne anytime I want in syndication, and that coupled with the lackluster extras on that particular set means that I have no reason to purchase it. I might reconsider if I felt the series was not likely to be a good seller, and I was concerned about poor sales affecting the possibility of future sets. As well, if the extras were phenomenal, I might also consider buying sets with cut episodes.

However, if I know I will have little chance of seeing a show in syndication ever again, and especially if it is a show that I haven't seen for a long time (or maybe not at all), I may be willing to overlook the inclusion of syndicated episodes. I purchased The Doris Day Show Season 1 after hearing that the episodes were cut. I had never seen the show before and had always wanted to, and figured this might be my only chance. That factor, plus the great job done with extras on the set, made it a worthwhile purchase for me. (Later, on this forum, I learned that the DDS episodes had actually not been cut, but just sped up so that the running time was shorter by a minute. Now that I know that, I believe I can hear it in some of the music, but before knowing, I never noticed it.)

#23 of 32 OFFLINE   ChadKo

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 04:44 PM

The bottom line for me is- I want the original episodes but I will take what I can. However- the corporations need to realize what we REALLY want and, even though I will purchase syndicated episodes if only they are avaiable, many people wont.

Chad

#24 of 32 OFFLINE   Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 04:49 PM

Quote:
I can watch cut episodes of Roseanne anytime I want in syndication

That is the main point for me. It would be nice to be able to watch whatever episode I want at any given time, but I'm not going to shell out money for versions that are already on Nick at Nite and a local station. I wouldn't buy a syndicated version of a movie, so why would I buy an syndicated version of a TV show?

#25 of 32 OFFLINE   Allen_Kir

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 06:11 PM

I love Lucy, Thank god, is uncut or else we would have lost more that a few seconds of the original.

Does anyone know if Fresh prince of bell air was cut on DVD??

#26 of 32 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 06:54 PM

Even recently made shows like BUFFY get chopped in syndication on FX and Buffy only runs about 43 minutes uncut! So 17 minutes of commericals per hour is not enough for these channels! They have to have more. I've never timed a Buffy ep. as I refuse to watch it edited but I'm curious how much they do chop out...

#27 of 32 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted August 31 2005 - 05:42 AM

No one has mentioned Canadian versions. The Canadian stations are allowed to show more commercials than the US ones (about 1/2 minute more per 1/2 hour in prime time, I believe)

This means that those of us who originally saw the Friends, The Cosby Show, Roseanne or Seinfeld on Canadian channels have NEVER seen the complete episodes.

I used to seek out the US airings wherever possible, but once the Canadian stations started aligning their programming schedules to the US networks, the cable companies were then in a position to air the Canadian signal on the US channel (in order to make us watch the Canadian ads) therefore effectively screwing us out of
a) part of the show
b) the US network promo spots

I always wondered if the 30 seconds cut out of the Canadian airings were the same as the syndication cuts.

I think, based on the 'feel' of the show, they usually just cut the first 30 seconds off the third act (coming back from the second commercial break) because they always cut back in while the audience was laughing their heads off.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#28 of 32 OFFLINE   Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted August 31 2005 - 05:50 AM

Quote:
No one has mentioned Canadian versions. The Canadian stations are allowed to show more commercials than the US ones (about 1/2 minute more per 1/2 hour in prime time, I believe)

Interesting, and ironic, as I've read that the Canadian Comedy Channel runs older US sitcoms, such as the Bob Newhart Show, uncut.

#29 of 32 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted August 31 2005 - 09:01 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if Fresh prince of bell air was cut on DVD??

It's uncut.

#30 of 32 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted August 31 2005 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
I have seen Simpsons episodes that have a set up to a joke and then the joke is gone in syndication..
Here's another...

(I'm paraphrasing since I don't remember the lines exactly):
Lisa looks at her permanent record where it mentions she's "difficult". Millhouse tears the page out and says "Well, let's get rid of the permanent record" and throws the torn page on the book.

This is where the scene ends in syndication...

the uncut episode shows the result of the setup, where the page magically 'heals' itself back into the book and becomes permanent again. Posted Image

They even mention syndication cuts on the Simpson commentary and about the fact that some of the best jokes are the ones to get cut since the best jokes are the real goofy/stand alone jokes, which are easiest to cut and not affect plot.

So this is why I want 'uncut' episodes.

Also, there's a Simpsons episode (from an early season) where Bart crashes a rocket on the school's roof. The syndication version cuts that scene out, but you always see the crashed rocket on the roof. I never saw that epsiode originally aired and it always bugged me what the rocket was doing on the roof.

And as far as purchasing 'cut' episodes, I posted this in the Roseanne thread (as well as on Amazon's site) and it pretty much covers my anger over cut DVD's:
Quote:
Syndicated episodes are deisgned to gain more advertising for a TV station that is giving away it's programming (basically) for "Free". Now why would I want to BUY something that was designed for paid advertising? If they were to give me the DVD's for free, I'd be fine with that, but they aren't. When we are paying for these sets, it is extremely insulting to offer us a product that (by it's very nature) was designed to make the TV stations more money.

This would be like future DVD sets adding commercials inbetween epsiodes. Commercials should NOT be paid for by the consumer! And nor should we be paying for anything that is the RESULT of advertising.

To the studios: Unless we are getting a 'cut' on the advertising, you shouldn't be selling us your hacked up/"money making" versions...

To the Amazon buyers: Is that something YOU really want to pay for????

#31 of 32 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted August 31 2005 - 11:46 AM

Quote:
I buy DVD sets of my favorite television shows because I want to see them again, exactly as they were shown originally: uncut and complete.

This quote sums up my feelings pretty well.

If I want to watch Roseanne the syndicated version, I can turn on Nick at Nite. If I want to watch the Cosby channel in syndicated form, I can pick a ton of different channels.

So if I can watch those for nothing but the cost of my cable bill, which may not even be a factor if its a network channel, why would I want to pay money for those same things?

I will buy a syndicated set on DVD, but the situation has to be exactly right, and one major factor is that if I can find the show on TV, I won't buy it syndicated no chance.

Third Rock from the Sun is not syndicated around here, so I don't mind it as much, although the fact that it was syndicated was not something that I was aware of until after I bought the DVD which also pisses me off.

#32 of 32 OFFLINE   Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted August 31 2005 - 03:48 PM

for the simpsons, on the season 2 episode with dustin hoffman, don't they cut out a scene when he goes in Magge's room (or am i thinking of the episode where Homer eats the bad fish and supposingly will die.
Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of...

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow