What's new

what to do in Portland? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I'm going to Portland for the weekend and was wondering what to do? I've already got some stores picked out, like Rejeuvination Lighting, Williams Sonoma, Paradise Pen, etc. but was wondering if there are any interesting and unique places to go or things to do that I may not know about.

jeremy

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This place is pretty awesome:
http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?...ion%20Homepage

An old school renovated into one humongous bar and restaurant. Different classrooms have been converted into minibars, the old swimming pool and gymnasium are intact, and there's even a movie theater/pub that shows second run shows while you have your dinner and drink. It was recently highlighted in Entertainment Weekly as one of the best theaters in the country.

If you're a bookworm or bibliophile you must stop by Powell's:
http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/01...-of-books.html

You can't go wrong just strolling around that area around Powells too - Pearl District has a lot of art galleries and the NW 23rd is a major shopping area with boutiques and such.

There's also a Todai in downtown Portland if you're into all-you-can-eat sushi. :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Two of the three stores he mentioned also are based in Portland, OR.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
If you like books, Powell's is the the best bookstore in the country, IMO, and well worth visiting even if you're not a big reader. Only Foyles in London approaches that selection.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Well I live here and let me tell you those are all ok places. There are better places to eat than McMenamins though, but if you are into "crowded and long waits" for a micro beer and burger, check it out.
If you prefer more upscale shopping you might wanna check out the new Bridgeport shopping outdoor shopping center

Are you only interested in shopping? Or sightseeing too? What are your tastes?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Portland is known for the number of microbreweries, bridges, and strip clubs per capita. I'll wait for your response to Chris's question before I give more details...

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
It is indeed Portland, Oregon and I have updated my profile to reflect my move to B.C.

We are definitely going to go to Powell's. We're definitely going to do some shopping because we're going to specialty stores that sell things we're specifically interested in (Rejeuvination Lighting, Williams Sonoma, Paradise Pen) but we would also like to do some relaxing and sight seeing. We like older houses and buildings, photography, nice parks, stip clubs and maybe the zoo if time permits. We're also looking for a restaurant that is nice but not too expensive.

jeremy

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I agree McMenamin's is nothing extraordinary in the food department, but you should at least spend an hour and hang out/walk around the Kennedy School.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Yes, the Kennedy School is pretty interesting (have a drink in the principal office, etc.).

Older Homes: Drive or walk around downtown near the waterfront and up through the Pearl district on up to 21st/Burnside area. Check out the Pittock mansion as well.

Photography: The Japanese gardens are very popular as well as the various parks along the west hills. Take a drive along Skyline Blvd or visit Council Crest Park... there will be some great views. If you have more time, definitely go visit Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood (where The Shining was filmed) or go see Mt.St.Helens (miles of incredible devastation, etc.).

Strip Clubs: I'd suggest going to one with a Portland flavor (not the typical Vegas/LA style club). The Acropolis (which has decent $4 steaks) and maybe Union Jacks or the Magic Garden would be my suggestion. (BTW, I'm assuming you're looking for females stripping)

Zoo: Ehh, it's OK.

Restaurants: There are a lot of good surf & turf places as well as Asian-pacific cuisines. What price range are you looking at?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've only been to one club in my life (not in Portland). What's the distinction?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I actually just finished working on a show for the Travel Channel about Oregon that focused on Portland...

Of course I've been there once or twice too.

One place they mentioned that sounded cool is VooDoo Donuts. Stumptown Coffee looked kind of cool too. The again, I was a teenager of the 90's so punk-rock donuts and grunge-esque coffee bars are my bag.

They also talked about a restaurant that sounded wonderful called Le Marché, but I think it was in Eugene.

\V

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The Museum of Science and Industry is cool and you can tour the last diesel submarine that was used by the U.S. Navy.

Portland has a lot of fantastic restaurants that are to numerous to mention.

I'm not sure what the difference between Canadian and Oregoneon strip clubs are. I know in Oregon it's full nudity and you can drink, as opposed to Washington where you can't havce alchohol and nudity (except at home).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Hmmm, it's tough to quantify.

Typical Club (Dolphin II in Portland, etc.):
- typical dancer = bleached blond
- very loud music
- clubs are large
- Expensive cover
- DJ introduces each dancer / yells things

Typical Portland Club:
- Laid back
- typical dancer = dreadlocks & tattoos (not really but a more diverse mix)
- you can talk over the music
- smaller clubs (some are a bar with a pole in the corner)
- cheap cover
- dancer pops in a CD and off she goes...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks