What's new

Iron Maiden egged at Ozzfest. Osbourne to blame (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Taken from ironmaiden.com:

Undoubtedly, Iron Maiden was the highlight of the entire event at Glen Helen Pavilion in Devore and one of the few - and I mean few - bands on the bill that has a singer. Bruce Dickinson, who along with Ronny James Dio, Rob Halford of Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne, is among the few frontmen in metal who can keep an audience on its feet for the entire set. And with an incredible band that includes Steve Harris (bass), Dave Murray (guitar), Adrian Smith (guitar), Janick Gers (guitar) and Nicko McBrain (drums), Maiden is the consummate metal act.

Unfortunately for Maiden, and its fans, things were not rosy in metal land. During the day, each band that performed was introduced by an emcee. However, Iron Maiden was the only band that did not have an intro. Instead, the only thing that could be heard over the P.A. system before the band came on was a loud, obnoxious voice screaming 'Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy.'

And when the band members opened up the set with 'Murders in the Rue Morgue,' they were pelted with eggs, bottle caps and ice that came from one specific area of the pit. And from there, the evening got worse.

In the next song, 'Trooper,' Dickinson came onstage with the British flag, as he has always done when the group performs this number. But near the end of the song, someone walked out from stage left and started to wave an American flag. On his back was written 'Don't (mess) with Ozzy.' After being hustled off stage, the man appeared again with the flag, waving it again near the front of the stage. Besides this incident, there were power outages, in which the P.A. system was switched off in key moments of three of the band's songs. In addition, while Dickinson was speaking to the audience at the end of the band's encore, that same voice came on the P.A. yelling for Ozzy. But Maiden fans drowned it with chants of 'Maiden.'

Frustrating? Yes. And it was apparent in Dickinson and the band's demeanor. At one point, Dickinson exclaimed, 'You'll never hear Maiden on U.S. radio, MTV and certainly never see them in a reality show.'

Nevertheless, Iron Maiden kept its cool the best it could, and delivered an outstanding 60-minute set, which apparently the Ozzfest organizers had told the band to keep to 55 minutes. Despite all these distractions and problems, what stuck out the most was Sharon Osbourne's appearance on stage after Maiden finished its set.

One might have thought Osbourne was going to apologize to Iron Maiden and do some damage control, but instead, the moment took on some heavy metal drama. She told the audience that Ozzfest organizers 'absolutely loved Iron Maiden and their crew and they are all wonderful, but their singer, Bruce Dickinson was a (jerk) and had disrespected Ozzfest since they began their stint with the tour.'

At this, many in the audience started to boo Sharon Osbourne. While the shenanigans were very weird, one has to wonder how anybody could have sneaked in the approximately two dozen eggs that were hurled at the band. And how someone can gain access to the back stage is anybody's guess.

After the incident, tour officials would not comment on the events, or on whether there was any bad blood between the two camps. Saturday's performance was Iron Maiden's last gig on Ozzfest. From this point on, Velvet Revolver will finish the last seven stops of the tour.

Statement from Ron Smallwood (Maidens manager)

Maiden are currently returning from America and preparing for UK festivals this weekend and don't wish to waste time giving Sharon Osbourne's statement the dignity of a reply. Considering the disgraceful nature of the events that occurred they feel it's a pretty dismal effort at self justification and they don't think Metal fans are at all gullible and that they will easily see through it. They want no more to do with this sorry incident and are very much looking forward to headlining Reading and Leeds Festivals this weekend.

I would however like to add my own comment on this.

In 30 years in this business and after attending hundreds of gigs l have never seen anything anywhere near as disgusting and unprofessional as what went on that night. I was standing on our sound desk out front as usual but ran to the stage as soon as the hail of missiles began and from then on watched from the front of the stage right next to Bruce's walkway. The scale, viciousness and concentration of the throwing made it obvious that this was a premeditated and co-ordinated attack. Assaulting musicians while performing by throwing bottle tops, lighters and eggs at them from just a few yards away is vile, dangerous, criminal and cowardly. It is incredible that Ozzfest security apparently did nothing about it - aren't they there to protect the bands too? Especially when the band is concentrating on a performance in front of 45,000 people and the missiles are coming out of the glare of the spotlights. And to spit at a band on stage is unforgivable.

Iron Maiden, like all the bands on Ozzfest, had to sign quite onerous legal documents part of which was promising not to throw anything into the audience, even wristbands!!! Ironic isn't it.

It is well documented on the web who was responsible for planning and participating in this attack and for musicians to join in this assault on other musicians is a shocking disgrace akin to treachery. You should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

We know who authorised the making of the 'ozzy - ozzy' chant tape the day before and how it was played secretly through the PA at the very beginning and end of our set.

We also know who continually turned off the power interrupting our set at crucial moments. It is a good thing that the power was turned back on before there was a riot as you could sense on stage a lot of the huge audience were getting totally pissed off at this continual onslaught on the band.

The great majority of the Ozzfest crew throughout the tour were terrific and we thank them. Those who participated or stood idly by and watched as this all went down should also be ashamed of themselves and l would certainly hope they never come near a tour with which we are involved.

There is little point in my commenting on the chap with the flag or their trying to hold up Eddie or Sharon's speech as the audience made their feelings very clear on each occasion.

And in the end what was all this about?? If l had any sort of problem or misunderstanding with a band working on a tour we were involved in l would go and talk to them or their manager - not wait until the end of a tour and assault and ambush them. Or was that really it?

I find it staggering that this ambush would take place in front of any audience, let alone in San Bernardino, the biggest audience of the tour. Didn't that audience merit any consideration? They pay an awful lot to be there in terms of prices for tickets, parking, food, beer etc. Surely if they spend this sort of money they deserve to watch the bands they paid to see be able to put in a full unhindered performance. Free of danger and intimidation. If I had paid I would ask for my money back!

And this audience really were outstanding, giving the band incredible support and many voting with their feet in disgust after the set and the speech, which to many was the final insult.

I have to say l was immensely proud of Maiden who stood up to it all and showed great courage and just got better and better through the adversity. Their heads never dropped, instead they went on the offensive. It was a truly memorable moment when Bruce went to the very front of the stage during Trooper - something which he never normally does as he is usually on the ramps - waving the flag whilst avoiding the hail of missiles and yelling 'This is a fucking British flag, and these colours don't fucking run!'. The imperturbable attitude and ability of the band shone through and in the end made this a truly remarkable rock and roll event, even if for all the wrong reasons.

We will have no more to say on this matter except that l do think the band deserve an apology from a number of people, and you know who you are.

ROD SMALLWOOD
MANAGER, IRON MAIDEN
CHAIRMAN, SANCTUARY ARTIST MANAGEMENT

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I read about this yesterday, and the events that happened are simply inexcusable. I will never, ever do anything to support Ozzy, Black Label Society or any other group that participated in the attacks on Iron Maiden, and I hope more people feel the same way. This will stand out as an infamous event in heavy metal and the music business in general, and it will NOT be forgotten. :angry:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I heard about this right after it happened. Now these new details are getting around about exactly who was responsible. What an embarassment.

Up the irons!!!

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

I really hope you were joking. Its not so much being physical act of being hit by eggs; but the symbolism and disrespect and immaturity behind the act. Did you read also that they were spit on also? Would you want me spitting at you? I dint think so.

Rob_D

Agent
Arthur,

I have no problem NOT supporting anything Ozzy related or Black Label Society as Ozzy, aside from some great reunion shows with Black Sabbath, hasn't done anything even remotely interesting since 1982 and I have zero interest in BLS's knucklehead metal.

Sharon is total white trash, anyone who's seen her on TV for 3 seconds can pick up on that.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Looks like VH-1 has a new "Number 1" for Metal's Most Embarrassing Moments. I believe Ozzy already rated pretty high in their countdown by doing a Pepsi commercial with (gasp) Florence Henderson. What will he and his family hawk next ? Feminine hygiene products ? And this was a guy who supposedly bit the head off a bat ?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Rich,
Sorry about my above post if you were really joking. Even with smileys; it can sometimes be hard to know what you mean.

Dave>h

Second Unit
I was at the Ozzfest at the PNC at Camden, several weeks before this incident occured, and while I disagree with Sharon's handling of the situation, I personally think Bruce Dickheadson deserved it.

Never, in all my years of concert going, have I seen a lead singer berate a paying audience or insult the host of the event like BD did. He was an absolute ass. If that behaviour had been going on for the entire time Iron Maiden was on the tour, and I have to believe it was from the notes on the Ozzfest message board, then BD got what he deserved.

I do not believe the attack, if you want to call it that, was directed at the other members of the band, I personally believe it was directed solely at Dickinson.

Have to add, I am a fan of Iron Maiden, and despite BD's actions, I enjoyed their show but certainly could have done without being name called and insulted by their lead singer.

Long live Ozzy.

Dave

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It's cool, Matt. I was trying to make funny, but I really wasn't joking! Sharon Osbourne is a beeyotch, and everyone in the world knows it, but juvenile shenanigans from inter/intra-band rivalries have been part of rock-and-roll since forever. This is one of the funnier stories I've heard in awhile, and Maiden would do well to take it in stride. So they got egged by Kellie Osbourne... big fucking deal! An eggy counterattack on a preening Sharon and witless Ozzy would have been in the spirit of the thing (and probably proof that Sharon can't take what she dishes out).

I remember back around "Number of the Beast" when Bruce Dickinson would get all self-righteous about how Maiden didn't use synthesizers (as though this were some badge of honor and not simply painfully clueless reactionary conservatism). Hell, I remember Bruce Dickinson getting all self-righteous about every damn little thing that came along. The dude's had a stick up his ass for as long as he's been in the public eye, and his endlessly sophomoric, Spinal Tapish yammering just about caused me stop listening to every post-"Killers" Maiden album... you know, before I grew out of it. The dude could use a sense of humor, or at least a whittling down of that humongous ego, and barring that a bit of yolk on his face will certainly suffice.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
In response to Daves post re: Dickinson:

While I agree that Bruce can be arrogant and a bit too outspoken sometimes, I do agree with his opinion of concerts and some fans in the US. Im a longtime concert-goer who gets sick of the "moshing" and throwing crap onstage and the corporations who get involved in tours. Also why the hell is 90% of venues named after a major company?! ie: Coors field, Pac Bell Park, Sleeptrain Amp etc? That is another thing that Ive heard him bitch about.

Ive seen Maiden a couple times and will see them again. I skipped Ozzfest due to money and the fact I didnt want to put up with the other crap bands just to see Maiden for only 45-60 min at that price.

Again Im not knocking your opinion of Bruce but Sharons actions were not deserved.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Rich,
I replied to Daves post before I read your reply. As I said to Dave; I agree that BD can be outspoken and arrogant as hell, but it never really got to me cause I agree with some of what hes saying.

Now from what I read the band is moving on and ignoring what happened. Ive heard a boot of the infamous Ozzfest show and they knew it was a setup but kept on trucking for the fans.

No one should have to put up with that crap. Now re: rivalries, most can laugh off an egging. But cutting off the PA during solos and atand calling Bruce a "prick" in front of thousands of Maiden fans is very uncool.

Dave>h

Second Unit
The following letter was posted over on Blabbermouth.net, and is supposedly Sharon's rebutle to Iron Maiden manager Rod Smallwood. It sounds legit, however, I am unable to confirm the source from where it originated:

Rod,

I found your statement to be completely void of the facts that led up to Saturday's show. Your press release was written like an old-time '80s manager, trying to use every opportunity to try and sell the record and the upcoming shows instead of just dealing with the truth.

These are the facts:

You claim to have been in the business for 30 years and have been to hundreds of gigs, but can you tell me how many times you have heard of an opening band talking sh*t about the headliner during their set and getting away with it? Not only is Ozzy the headliner, but he is also the man who is paying your band $185,000 a night. We gave IRON MAIDEN a chance to play to the biggest audiences they have ever played to in the U.S.A. We accommodated them with their stage set and at the band's request we even scoured the audience for people wearing IRON MAIDEN t-shirts and brought them down front during their set to make them feel more comfortable. Tell me, what other headliner would do that? Unfortunately those gestures were completely lost on Bruce Dickinson who for over 20 shows continually berated Ozzy and Ozzfest during his set.

Over the last 10 years of Ozzfest, we have worked with over 200 bands. None of them were ever disrespectful to Ozzy or any of the other bands on the tour. But for 20 shows we were forced to hear Dickinson's nightly outbursts from the stage: 'When we come back to America, we'll be back with a proper sound system,' or "We won't be playing the same old songs every night (like SABBATH),' 'We don't need a teleprompter (like Ozzy)' and 'We don't need a reality show to be legit (again, like Ozzy).' Night after night we heard his complaints from the stage about how 'corporate' the venues were and how 'outrageous' the ticket prices were. Strangely enough, if you want to get a general admission ticket to stand in a field to see IRON MAIDEN at Reading this weekend it's going to cost you over $120. I would say that's very pricey, wouldn't you?

When an artist comes on stage and says he's not playing the 55 minutes that he was allotted and that he is going to play for as long as he wants (cutting into SABBATH's set), I'm not going to let that happen. Dickinson was under the delusion that the 46,000 people in San Bernardino had come only to see IRON MAIDEN. He even proclaimed 'This is not the Ozzfest, This is Maidenfest.' I guess no one told him that we have an audience of 45,000 to 53,000 people every year in San Bernardino.

Here's another fact for you. Bruce Dickinson's own band was embarrassed by him. IRON MAIDEN leader, Steve Harris, even came to Ozzy's dressing room to apologize to Ozzy for Bruce's behavior before MAIDEN took the stage in San Bernardino.

It's shameful that Dickinson felt he had the right to air his issues publicly onstage every night as a way to boost his own ego. Dickinson never once came up to Ozzy and me to voice any concerns. He certainly had the opportunity to do so every night. If he wasn't able to show us that courtesy then why should I give him the respect to air my grievances with him in private? Ozzy's only interaction with Dickinson was on the first night of the tour. Ozzy, being the true gentleman that he is, passed Bruce in the hall and said 'Good luck and have a great show.' Unfortunately Dickinson felt the need to turn his back to Ozzy and walked away. Frankly, Dickinson got what he deserved. We had to listen to his bullsh*t for five straight weeks. He only had to suffer a couple of eggs on the head.

On closing, yes, I did cut IRON MAIDEN's sound. This is the way I look at it: Ozzfest is our tour. We built it into something that's lasted 10 years now. We've been responsible for breaking many new bands and resurrecting the careers of former superstars. Part of our success stems from the fact that when a band is on Ozzfest we treat them with nothing but kindness and respect just as if we had invited them into our home. You can ask all of the bands who have been on the tour. They all describe it as the 'ultimate summer camp.' It's like one big family. Unfortunately Dickinson doesn't have the manners to realize that when you are invited into someone's home, are seated at their dinner table, are eating their food and drinking their wine, you shouldn't talk disrespectfully about them (Ozzy, BLACK SABBATH and Ozzfest), otherwise you just might get your ass handed to you. Every action has a reaction. Was Dickinson so naïve to think that I was going to let him get away with talking sh*t about my family night after night? I don't think he realizes who he's dealing with. I will not endure behavior like this from anyone.

I know you would love to keep talking about this because this is the most press that IRON MAIDEN has had in the U.S. in twenty years, but let's move on, shall we?

Sincerely,
The 'Real' Iron Maiden
Sharon Osbourne

...additionally, RockConfidential.com recently asked Zakk Wylde what his views were on the whole incident. He had the following to say:

This is fact and this is reality. It's not the guys in MAIDEN and their crew. They're a beautiful bunch of guys. Bruce Dickinson every night would be saying 'Ozzy sucks,' 'Ozzfest blows,' 'Corporate America sucks,' 'America sucks,' and all this other crap. He was bagging on America and bagging on Ozz. Ozzy's the godfather of my son. It wasn't like Bruce said those things one night. This happened every night on the 'fest. If you got signed by George Steinbrenner to play for the Yankees and every day you say, 'Steinbrenner sucks,' 'Yankee Stadium blows,' 'I can't stand playing for this team — it sucks ass,' then why are you playing for the Yankees? Shut your fuckin' pie hole. All he had to do was go up there, play for an hour, whoop some ass and go home. The only thing Ozzy's ever done was given MAIDEN a stage to come over and play to the biggest audience in the summer. Ozzy would give you the shirt off his back. He'd never do a bad thing to anybody. Sharon didn't like him talking about her husband like that and talking about Ozzfest like that. It's just not kosher. The bottom line is Bruce was being a wad! You act like a cunt, you get treated like a cunt! That's what happened. He's definitely not one of the guys. Everybody in their band and crew are cool. I love MAIDEN but he's talking about the godfather of my son, he's bagging America and all the troops are fighting overseas defending our way of life and freedom and fighting terrorism. This dickwad's taking American money and then he's gonna go home. At the same time he thinks he can badmouth America. It's not cool. He got pelted with a batch of eggs and they turned the power off on him! Go home!

Max F

Second Unit

It's one thing to do these thing back stage, but totally uncalled for to do it one stage IN FRONT OF THOUSANDS OF FANS WHO PAID GOOD, HARD EARNED CASH TO SEE THEM.

If i was in the audience that night, i would have been livid. I've never got to see Iron Maiden when i was a teenager (and loved them). I couldn't see them this year in Florida since they had other engagments.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Excellent point. Regardless of Dickinson's behavior, the response was totally out of line. Heck, I could even handle Sharon coming onstage to complain about what he'd been doing, but to throw things and cut the PA system during their set was an insult to the rest of Maiden (whom they keep saying were perfect gentlemen) and to the paying audience.

BD was talking crap -- Sharon had every right to talk crap right back. Taking it as far as she did simply made her into the bad guy.

Max, I never got to see Maiden as a teenager either, but I did see them once with Blaze Bailey and twice since Dickinson rejoined, and they've still got it! Try to catch 'em next time they come around.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
What Aaron said.

Bruce is not an angel but I still love and respect him and the rest of Maiden and I will always be a true fan. Funny thing is; I never really got into Maiden (or Priest for that matter ) till the last few years. (Im almost 32; better late than never :))

Maiden is incredible live. Ive seen them twice with Bruce.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks