-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

i orange habanero peppers that i grew, now what do i do with them?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,758 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 25 2005 - 10:43 AM

ok, so i have a bunch of these orange habaneros. i cut a couple up and just from that my eyes were wATERing and fingers burning. besides that, what do i do with them? i just notice the title is missing a word. it should read "i have habanero...."

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg_R

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted August 25 2005 - 11:48 AM

Eat and enjoy! They are a good marinate ingredient since they have a slightly fruity flavor (habanero shrimp... mmmm). You could also make salsa or hot sauce. I like the following: - carrots - habaneros - garlic - salt Grind all of these ingredients up to taste. It makes for a sweet tasting sauce. Another favorite of mine is habanero brownies. Get a brownie recipie that has lots of fudge chunks (i.e. very sweet). The taste will be sweet, followed by a nice heat toward the end. Chocolate chip cookies are also good with habaneros in the mix. You should get some latex gloves to do the cutting.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 8,428 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted August 25 2005 - 12:18 PM

Just make sure you wash your hands with soap before touching your face and, especially, near your eyes.

Chopped up small they can be tossed into chili....or make great seasoning for kung pao chicken. Posted Image
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

• 1,313 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 03:08 PM

Excellent also if you put them in some vinegar, and then use the vinegar on greens or salads for extra pep. Watch out for the seeds though, those things are HOT. Also if you cook with chiles, make sure you ventilate well or you'll be in a world of hurt Posted Image.

and a second on the gloves. in fact, you might want to wash your hands every time you even put the sauce/whatnot on food, just in case some gets on your fingers. Habanero in the eye hurts bad.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

• 3,219 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 03:18 PM

Funny, I just made some chili today, used two habenaros, two anaheim and 3T of chili powder (among other spices) to flavour 1 lb of pork and 5 lb of tomatoes. I did roast the peppers beforehand, and I did remove the seeds--so either my extensive preparations did the trick or perhaps safeway was selling duds. But wear gloves when preparing them.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

• 1,723 posts

Posted August 26 2005 - 12:11 AM

You can also pickle, then jar them. Heat up a nice brine, load op the jar with peppers, fill up with the brine, seal the jar and let it sit for 6 months to a year. They look pretty and when they are ready - have lots of fluids nearby. A friend of mine did this with his - we opened a jar up a bit too early. I had a bite of one and I swear it hurt so bad it temporarily affected my hearing! mmmmmmmm
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   John Alvarez

John Alvarez

• 1,129 posts

Posted August 26 2005 - 12:18 AM

My Mother in law does this and adds small pickles, small onions, bell peppers etc...when you want to add flavor to some Arro con frijoles negro Y picadillo you just add some juice and cut up some of the veggies.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted August 26 2005 - 02:40 AM

Not to mention before using the rest room and touching...well you know. Speaking from experience here (I still have nightmares about it). Posted Image

My suggestion for the habeneros - Get some allspice and jerk some pork (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted August 26 2005 - 03:46 AM

Wear gloves when working with hot peppers - do not think that washing will remove the oils. It can stay on your skin for DAYS.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   BrianW

• 2,561 posts

Posted August 26 2005 - 01:20 PM

Threads about hot peppers make me drool. Is that a bad thing?
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

• 4,769 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 04:03 AM

I hear you brother. I remember preparing a particularly hot chilli, going to the bathroom, then sitting down to watch a James Bond film on the TV. At first I had a panic about my sexuality - I wondered why Roger Moore was giving me a warm glow somewhere that Roger Moore hadn't previously affected me. Then the warm glow got hotter and hotter ... The moral of this tale is - when dealing with chillis, wash before as well as after going to the bathroom.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 04:19 AM

??!! This is a new one for me. -- H

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

• 3,219 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 04:44 AM

Never prepared hot peppers before? The habanero rates 200-300 kiloScoviles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users