What's new

Edward Scissorhands: Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This was brought to my attention this morning by a friend so I had to pass it
along, being my favorite movie and all.

From thedigitalbits.com

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So apart from a repackaging, what's the difference between this release and what we have now?

Im pretty sure all those features were present on the last DVD and wasn't that also an Anniversary Edition?

I'm quite happy with the quality on my current disc. If the tin is really something special or if a significantly improved transfer is offered (or DTS!) I'll consider, but otherwise I see no reason to upgrade.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Looks like the interview clips are new, the previous release has audio interview clips only (if I remember correctly) aside from that I'm not sure. I would hope more is included but there's not much info out yet. Being my favorite film I'll upgrade just for the tin alone.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The original disc had a 4.0 soundtrack, but I've seen some sites listing a 5.1 track on the new release. I think it'll be the same 4.0 track. This is just a repromotion in a new package to capitalize on Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride.

DJ

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Could be. I would imagine that Charlie will be streeting about that same time and it's around the same time Corpse Bride hits theaters.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think Damien is right.

And there are no new interviews listed, they just mention more cast members who garner some screen time in the extras but based on the existing disc specs this looks to be identical and as Damien suggested, probably nothing more than a promotional reissue.

I'm still interested to see what the tin looks like though... :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Like I said, I don't remember, but I do not believe the previous release has interviews with the cast just audio interviews with Burton and Elfman that can be played during the film.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What I meant, was that I assume that they left out a "with" in that blurb; ie. a short featurette on the making-of the film with interview clips bla bla...

As for the new releases, listings are already up on Amazon which is almost a sure indicator that these are simply reissues with a marketing slant and nothing more. Surprisingly though, the current WS version of the film is selling for only $7.99 while the FS sports an msrp of $13.48. The new tin packaging is listing a retail price of $14.98 while the new FS version indicates it will sell for $13.48 which is almost double the cost of the current WS release. I haven't even noticed whether this title has been phased out of retail yet? I can't really see this new FS transfer moving too many uints though. Coincidentally, I see no new listings for a regular WS version of the film sans-tin...

They are all up for pre-order though.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

There were very short interview pieces on the disc. A question would pop up written on the screen like "What was it like working with Tim Burton?" and then they'd cut to Johnny Depp giving the answer.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
What the hell is that butterfly doing on the artwork? Don't remember seeing any in the movie. Even if there were, it had nothing to do with the movie. Looks like "Edward Scissorhands and The Butterfly".

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Regardless of what's inside, I'll be buying this just for the Tin. Looks great!

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
What's the point of this? Unless they had Burton re-record his truly terrible commentary or offered remastered trailers than this is just unneeded. The current dvd already offers a great transfer and a nice isolated music score with Elfman. The featurette might be interesting if it's a new one and not the one taken from a press kit but give me a break, a piece of tin isn't a good excuse to rebuy the same disc. ::cough::

mikey ra

Stunt Coordinator
It sounds to me that all of the special features listed are the EXACT same ones from the 10th Anniversay Edition. Below is the description of the 10th Annv. Edition features I cut and pasted from the DVDFile.com review:

To celebrate EDWARD SCISSORHANDS 10th anniversary, Fox has created a special edition worthy of the film without going overboard. First off you'll find a screen-specific audio commentary with director Tim Burton."

"The second track contains Danny Elfman's isolated score in stereo with the composer sitting down for commentary to fill in the gaps."

"A ten-year-old promotional featurette is included which is fairly superficial but does offer some interesting glimpses of the location filming. It runs less than five minutes and will probably be something you never watch again. There's a section called soundbites where the disc houses original interview segments with five of the principal cast members, the director, writer and composer. They're set up with questions that a TV or radio station would ask along with the prerecorded response. They're short clips and you'll probably have no need for them. Two theatrical trailers are included along with three TV spots."

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, maybe it is the exact same dvd but being a collector of Edward Scissorhands memorabilia I must have the tin ::cough::

Besides, I own 2 copies of my favorite films and this is a great excuse to get that second copy.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Very cool Dave. I'm a big Burton fan (favorite director) and a huge Edward Scissorhands fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks