What's new

DVDs with overtures, intermissions, entractes and exit music - help me out (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to get a complete list of DVDs that have overtures, intermissions, entractes and exit music. They don't have to have all of them, just one or more. I know the knowledgeable film buffs of the HTF will be able to help. Alas, many DVds combine the intermission with the entracte music so it's confusing. Also, if there are any DVDs that SHOULD have one of the above but were eliminated from the DVD version (like Exodus) that would be helpful too. Thanks in advance and corrections appreciated. Here is what I have so far but if you could add to it:

1. The Adventurers: intermission
2. Agony And The Ecstasy: intermission, entracte, exit music
3. Around The World In 80 Days: intermission, entracte, exit music
4. Barry Lyndon intermission
5. Battle Of The Bulge: overture, intermission, exit music
6. Ben-Hur: overture, intermission, entracte
7. The Bible: intermission
8. Billy Rose's Jumbo: overture
9. Black Hole: overture
10 Blue Max: intermission, entracte
11 Camelot: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
12 The Cardinal: intermission, entracte
13 Cleopatra: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
14 Dial M For Murder: intermission
15 Diary Of Anne Frank: overture, exit music (intermission and entracte eliminated from DVD)
16 Doctor Dolittle (1967): overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
17 Doctor Zhivago: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
18 Duel In The Sun: overture, exit music
19 East Of Eden: overture
20 Fiddler On The Roof: entracte
21 Finian's Rainbow: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
22 Funny Girl: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
23 Gone With The Wind: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
24 Great Race: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
25 Greatest Story Ever Told: intermission, entracte, exit music
26 Happiest Millionaire: overture, intermission
27 Helen Of Troy: overture
28 Hello Dolly: intermission, entracte, exit music
29 Hell's Angels: intermission, entracte
30 High Society: overture
31 House Of Wax: intermission
32 How The West Was Won: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
33 Ice Station Zebra: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
34 Is Paris Burning?: overture, intermission
35 Judgement At Nuremburg: overture, exit music
36 Khartoum: overture, intermission, exit music
37 King And I: overture, intermission, exit music
38 King Of Kings (1961): overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
39 Lagaan: intermission
40 Lawrence Of Arabia: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
41 Man Of La Mancha: overture (intermission eliminated for DVD)
42 My Fair Lady: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
43 Oklahoma!: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
44 Paint Your Wagon: intermission, entracte, exit music
45 Patton: intermission, entracte
46 Red Beard: intermission, entracte, exit music
47 Sand Pebbles: overture, intermission, entracte
48 Scrooge: overture
49 Sound Of Music: intermission, entracte, exit music
50 South Pacific: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
51 Spartacus: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
52 Sweet Charity: overture, intermission
53 Ten Commandments: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
54 That's Entertainment: overture
55 That's Entertainment III: overture
56 Thoroughly Modern Millie: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
57 Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines: intermission, entracte
58 Tora Tora Tora: intermission, entracte
59 2001 A Space Odyssey: overture, intermission, entracte, exit music
60 Unsinkable Molly Brown: overture, exit music
61 West Side Story: overture, intermission (optional), entracte (optional)
62 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?: exit music

John Gido

Second Unit
The 2-Disc Special Edition of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang contains the Overture, Intermission, & Exit Music.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
On the 2-disc SE of Dances With Wolves, there is an "intermission" of sorts at the end of Side 1 on the first disc. On screen it tells you to flip the disc over to Side 2, while the original album version of "The Buffalo Hunt" plays as the intermission music.

Charles H

Screenwriter
HAWAII has an Overture, but I believe they omitted the intermission and exit music. STAR has a literal Overture, intermission, and the closing credits function as exit music. Selznick was a nut on the pomp and circumstances of Overtures, Entr'actes, Intermissions, and Exit Music. Even the 82-minute THE WILD HEART has an elaborate Overture (but it is not available on dvd and the extended original version GONE TO EARTH omits it on the foreign dvd.) SPELLBOUND has an overture. SINCE YOU WENT AWAY has an Overture, Intermission, and Exit Music. The earliest film with an Overture (available on VHS but not dvd) that I can recall is A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (1935). I can't recall if SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN--coming out Xmas--has an Overture.

Charles H

Screenwriter
FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLL has an Overture. The dvd of IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD omits the Overture, Entr'acte, and exit music.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Star! (Starring Julie Andrews - 1968) has an overture (performed lived by an orchestra on screen!) and intermission.

**EDIT** Ooops! Sorry. Charles has already posted such above.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"Oliver!" has an overture, intermission, entr'acte and exit music.
"Sweet Charity" had exit music on the Laserdisc
"Man of La Mancha" never had an intermission.
"Exodus" never had an overture or exit music.
"Half a Sixpence" has an intermission and entr'acte

Most of these films are "Roadshow" releases. Movies planned as big event films with reserved seats and higher ticket prices. I believe there is an existing tread on the subject which goes into great detail.

Other films to have an overture, intermission or exits music when finally released to DVD include:

Mutiny On the Bounty
Grand Prix
The Fall of the Roman Empire
55 Days At Peking
Can-Can
The Boy Friend
Porgy and Bess
Song of Norway
Ryan's Daughter
Far From the Madding Crowd
Becket
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm
Reds

Charles H

Screenwriter
Add THE COWBOYS (Overture) and THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL (Overture and Entr'Act). The laserdisc by Image of THE CARDINAL had an Overture that was omitted from the dvd. The Jerome Moross score is my all-time favorite, but it might have been generated just for the ld. The ld of 1776 created a bogus overture. (I wonder if THE BIG COUNTRY had an Overture?)

This is a fascinating topic and I hope that FilmScoreMonthly.com takes note and maybe does a poll or more historical investigations into the matter. It was about a time when movies were deliberate "events" and moviegoers made conscious, deliberate, adult decisions about going to movies. Movie-going today is a passive experience (just look what's out there and what is #1 at the box office) and the "product" is inert and instantly disposable.

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Edwards
The Song Remains The Same uses the studio version of Stairway to Heaven as exit music. The DVD has the Swan Song Records logo, while the theatrical version had black screen.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the assistance, guys. I'm really interested in what's on the DVDs but I appreciate the heads up on the theatrical presentations.

Charles H: My Anchor Bay DVD of Spellbound contains no overture. Is it on the Criterion DVD? I have the Hawaii laser disc and have avoided the DVD not only because it eliminates the intermission, entracte and exit music replicated on the laser disc but because it's not the uncut version. I have the laser discs of Since You Went Away which contains the intermission and the 1935 Midsummer Night Dream which contains the overture and exit music. The laser disc of Shoes Of The Fisherman contains the overture, intermission, entracte and exit music which I assume will be ported over to the upcoming DVD. I heard the Star intermission had been eliminated from the DVD. Was this information incorrect?

Harold: Where's the intermission on Schindler's List? The theatrical presentation didn't have one and the current disc is a flipper with no intermission card.

Greg: I know Exodus didn't have an overture, entracte or exit music but it did have an intermission. As regards Man Of La Mancha, I saw it in its roadshow opening in San Francisco and it did indeed have an intermission. Of course, quite possibly (like West Side Story), it was never intended to have an intermission but the option was given to theatre owners.

Charles H: Does the Cowboys DVD also include the intermission card and entracte that was on the laser disc?

Thanks again and keep them coming, folks.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Great topic. Adding to Greg's list of films which should have an overture and exit music when finally released to DVD is Ziegfeld Follies. The CAV laser disc box set has both.

However neither piece of music appeared on the soundtrack cd released by Rhino a few years ago.

GregK

Screenwriter
Given you had mentioned the brief music & title card intermissions used in the original dual strip 3-D presentations of HOUSE OF WAX and DIAL M FOR MURDER, don't forget to also include KISS ME KATE (provided in the special features section of the repressed DVD). A large number of the 1950's 3-D features had customized intermission cards, but may not have had music along with these cards. IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE had a customized intermission card, but I don't remember if it had a music track or not. The original intermission for IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE is not offered on the current DVD.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Great topic.

Dances with Wolves did not have an intermission in the theater, nor did Schindler's List.

- Steve

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As soon as Greg used the word "roadshow" it reminded me that the Anchor Bay release of Disney's The Happiest Millionaire has an overture and an intermission. Not sure about the more recent Disney (Buena Vista) release. But I think I remember reading they were basically the same release.

BTW, Thomas, you are correct. Star! has an overture only. No intermission.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The SPELLBOUND Overture is on later pressings of the Anchor Bay release and is also on the Criterion issue. I believe I read a review of JOAN OF ARC (1948) which said it had an Overture but I don't have the DVD myself.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Douglas, I do have the Joan Of Arc DVD and it doesn't contain an overture.

BTW, Charles mentions that For Whom The Bells Toll DVD has an overture. Does it also have the intermission card and entracte that's on the laser disc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks