Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Which time period should HBO tackle next?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Alex F

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted August 21 2005 - 04:01 PM

HBO seem to have proven themselves the masters of the period drama TV show, with the Old West in Deadwood and the Depression in Carnivale, and what looks to be another winner in Rome. So, what should they do next? The middle ages? Revolutionary War? Personally, I think a World War One mini-series would be absolutely incredible.

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   RickGr

RickGr

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted August 21 2005 - 09:45 PM

The future?
Rick

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted August 22 2005 - 02:11 AM

Civil War or Revolutionary War wouldn't be too bad. Salem Witch trial period or the first group of colonials coming to america.
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,947 posts

Posted August 22 2005 - 04:20 AM

I also think they should tackle the future. A sci-fi series on HBO could break all the rules of television science fiction (or movie sci-fi, for that matter) and could, finally, present an uncompromising, mature look at the genre -- which could go a long way to changing the perception of science fiction as roller coaster or matinee fare.

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted August 22 2005 - 05:28 PM

Pirates!

Arrrrrr Matey!

(Or maybe a Patrick O'Brien-esque deal about the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars.)

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted August 23 2005 - 02:07 AM

Quote:
A sci-fi series on HBO could break all the rules of television science fiction (or movie sci-fi, for that matter) and could, finally, present an uncompromising, mature look at the genre

Sounds like Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi...
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted August 23 2005 - 03:58 AM

HBO's definition of "uncompromising" would be to add swearing and more T&A.

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted August 26 2005 - 04:00 PM

Medieval or The american Revolution would be perfect.
We're Texas.

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   BobSmith

BobSmith

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted August 26 2005 - 05:08 PM

Feudal Japan

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 12:28 AM

They should go back to the Depression, and bloody well bring back Carnivale. (We start getting season 2 next week here in NZ, and it's going to be hard watching knowing that this is it.)

Otherwise, Victorian England would be quite interesting. Look at some of Dickens' writing to see where you could get some great dark HBO-friendly material out of the period.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 06:54 AM

I think they should go with modern day Baltimore.......like maybe a season 4 of The Wire.

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 07:30 AM

Last week. Posted Image

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 03:23 PM

Middle Ages!

I would like to see the black plague in all of its brutal glory...call me weird. Posted Image

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 04:45 PM

How about the days of King Arthur? Or maybe Charlamagne? Sometime in the dark ages.

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Lloyd White

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 12:34 AM

I'd like to see something that would have some relevance to what's going on today...kind of like, how more things change, they just stay the same. That type of deal I could go for. Something with some balls though, like revealing a part of history nobody wants to talk about, or outright does not believe in, but it's still true and the drama riveting. I think there are some rather large secrets still being kept in this world, like secret societies, that could be explored. That's what I'm always interested in, the secret history of the world not recorded in the history books.
My DVD Owned List
My DVD Wish List
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,424 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted August 28 2005 - 04:22 AM

How about the Christian Crusades?

That would be interesting TV plus it would be pretty topical in a sense.

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Alex F

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
Something with some balls though, like revealing a part of history nobody wants to talk about, or outright does not believe in, but it's still true and the drama riveting.

My suggestion of a World War I mini-series would fit this nicely, I think. It's a war that hardly gets any attention (at least in comparison to the other wars of the 20th century), and it's probably the bloodiest, most horrifying and hellish war the world has ever seen. A Band Of Brothers-esque (and by that I mean pure gritty, in-your-face-ness and production values) version of World War I would be truly amazing.

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Jan H

Jan H

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 11:38 AM

World War I is an excellent suggestion, and I agree that it gets little attention. I think part of the reason for that, though, is that WWII is largely seen now as the culmination of all the carnage of the 1st war, and with a clear resolution, the rise of the Iron Curtain notwithstanding. Anyway, if HBO produces a WWI series, I'd be pretty excited.

I really like the idea of a Revolutionary War series. Casting directors take note: The story of Washington (Tim Robbins), Jefferson (Eric Stoltz), Adams (Philip Seymour Hoffman), Hamilton (Ralph Fiennes), and Franklin (Anthony Hopkins), would be both enlightening and entertaining, though not exactly sexy like Rome or the Sopranos would be. Still, knowing how faithful to a period HBO likes to be, it would certainly show us all how, for better or worse, this country has changed in 230 years.

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 28 2005 - 11:55 AM

I think how well Rome does will determine if HBO makes any more series that are period pieces. If it doesn't attract viewers, I think we'll be seeing more HBO shows that are set in the early 21st centuryPosted Image

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Jan H

Jan H

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 12:05 PM

Very true. One more hour before Rome. Can't wait!

Forum Nav Content I Follow