What's new

Which time period should HBO tackle next? (1 Viewer)

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
HBO seem to have proven themselves the masters of the period drama TV show, with the Old West in Deadwood and the Depression in Carnivale, and what looks to be another winner in Rome. So, what should they do next? The middle ages? Revolutionary War? Personally, I think a World War One mini-series would be absolutely incredible.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Civil War or Revolutionary War wouldn't be too bad. Salem Witch trial period or the first group of colonials coming to america.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I also think they should tackle the future. A sci-fi series on HBO could break all the rules of television science fiction (or movie sci-fi, for that matter) and could, finally, present an uncompromising, mature look at the genre -- which could go a long way to changing the perception of science fiction as roller coaster or matinee fare.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Pirates!

Arrrrrr Matey!

(Or maybe a Patrick O'Brien-esque deal about the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars.)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
They should go back to the Depression, and bloody well bring back Carnivale. (We start getting season 2 next week here in NZ, and it's going to be hard watching knowing that this is it.)

Otherwise, Victorian England would be quite interesting. Look at some of Dickens' writing to see where you could get some great dark HBO-friendly material out of the period.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Middle Ages!

I would like to see the black plague in all of its brutal glory...call me weird. :D

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to see something that would have some relevance to what's going on today...kind of like, how more things change, they just stay the same. That type of deal I could go for. Something with some balls though, like revealing a part of history nobody wants to talk about, or outright does not believe in, but it's still true and the drama riveting. I think there are some rather large secrets still being kept in this world, like secret societies, that could be explored. That's what I'm always interested in, the secret history of the world not recorded in the history books.

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator

My suggestion of a World War I mini-series would fit this nicely, I think. It's a war that hardly gets any attention (at least in comparison to the other wars of the 20th century), and it's probably the bloodiest, most horrifying and hellish war the world has ever seen. A Band Of Brothers-esque (and by that I mean pure gritty, in-your-face-ness and production values) version of World War I would be truly amazing.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
World War I is an excellent suggestion, and I agree that it gets little attention. I think part of the reason for that, though, is that WWII is largely seen now as the culmination of all the carnage of the 1st war, and with a clear resolution, the rise of the Iron Curtain notwithstanding. Anyway, if HBO produces a WWI series, I'd be pretty excited.

I really like the idea of a Revolutionary War series. Casting directors take note: The story of Washington (Tim Robbins), Jefferson (Eric Stoltz), Adams (Philip Seymour Hoffman), Hamilton (Ralph Fiennes), and Franklin (Anthony Hopkins), would be both enlightening and entertaining, though not exactly sexy like Rome or the Sopranos would be. Still, knowing how faithful to a period HBO likes to be, it would certainly show us all how, for better or worse, this country has changed in 230 years.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think how well Rome does will determine if HBO makes any more series that are period pieces. If it doesn't attract viewers, I think we'll be seeing more HBO shows that are set in the early 21st century:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks