Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Emergency! Coming To DVD Tuesday- Whos Buying?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
75 replies to this topic

#1 of 76 OFFLINE   Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted August 20 2005 - 11:54 AM

I've been waiting for Emergency to come to dvd for quite a while. I'm extremely excited about buying this. I'm a little afraid it wont be as good as I remember from when I was a little kid. Anyone else buying it? I just noticed its ranked #55 on Amazon's sales list.

#2 of 76 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 20 2005 - 12:18 PM

I'm hoping to get a review copy so I can post something... but it may not ship until street date or later. I am very interested in seeing how this turns out--I also watched the show as a kid.

- Steve

#3 of 76 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 20 2005 - 01:19 PM

I say it on just about every thread. I've been waiting literally years for this. I think it was originally "announced" in 2002.

Anyway, I have seen it in recent years, and I don't think there's any need to worry about it holding up from your childhood. It's very good. I can't wait to hang out with Johnny, Roy, Marco, Chet, Capt. Stanley, Mike Stoker, etc. again.

#4 of 76 OFFLINE   SteveVM

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted August 20 2005 - 01:27 PM

I'm buying it

#5 of 76 OFFLINE   Barbara,G

Barbara,G

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted August 20 2005 - 01:31 PM

I pre ordered it along with adam12 and they have already been shipped.Posted Image
Politicians are like baby diapers.. They should be changed often and for the same reason....Harold Reed

#6 of 76 OFFLINE   Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted August 20 2005 - 02:06 PM

About 5 or so years ago, I saw it on local channel 22 in LA. Thats a spanish channel and I dont speak spanish. I watched a few minutes of it anyway because it had been so long since I'd sean it. It looked good.

Steve- I'm looking forward to reading your review.

#7 of 76 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 20 2005 - 02:52 PM

It's been literally 25-30+ years since watching Emergency! and Emergency One!, so these shows will be a real blast from the past.

I was checking out one of the fan sites, and I see the crossover show with Adam-12... I remember watching that! (I am looking forward to the Adam-12 DVD, too.)

- Steve

#8 of 76 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted August 20 2005 - 03:18 PM

This was one of my absolute favorite shows when I was growing up, and one of my most-wanted on DVD. Pre-ordered, of course! Posted Image

#9 of 76 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 20 2005 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, the crossovers were funny. In one episode of Emergency, Reed and Malloy showed up. In another, Johnny was desperate to get to a TV to watch Adam-12! I remember that from the show, but it seems I also read about it real recently. I'm thinking it was probably in one of David's updates about one of the shows.

I hope we'll get the cartoon at some point, and I wouldn't mind seeing the short-lived (13 episodes) "Sierra." It was another Jack Webb show, and it crossed over with Emergency once.

#10 of 76 OFFLINE   SteveVM

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted August 21 2005 - 12:27 AM

Weird thing...

In the Sunday ads...no one lists this.

#11 of 76 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 21 2005 - 06:20 AM

Greg_S_H, you read that on one of my news stories. :wink: SteveVM: Not surprising, since it's such a catalog title, but I think stores will be shocked at the popularity of it. This is the ONE thing I MUST get this week, no matter how broke I am (partially due to gas prices and back-to-school spending); plus it's my birthday coming up next week (the big 4-0!) so I deserve it, right? But I'm torn between ordering it cheaper on Amazon for $27.99 and getting the affiliate fee for TSoD, and walking into BB and getting it for $33.99 - $5 Reward Zone coupon ($28.99) and having it immediately. The appeal of starting to watch it instantaneously will almost certainly win out, esp. if any more RZ coupons show up in the meantime. Posted Image

As I said, it's the ONE thing I GOTTA have, despite also "needing" Adam-12, Life As We Know It, Once & Again S2, The Ring 2, Kung Fu S3, 1st & Ten (assuming it makes it out and there's decent quality), Witness SE, Truman Show SE...

...there is SO much I plan to pass on this week just to get Emergency!, it's ridiculous! Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#12 of 76 OFFLINE   SteveVM

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted August 21 2005 - 07:00 AM

I saw on walmart.com-they have it for #27.88
the price on walmart.com is usually the non-sale price
in the stores. So if my walmart has it, I think it will be $27.88

#13 of 76 OFFLINE   Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted August 21 2005 - 07:07 AM

Happy birthday, Dave!

#14 of 76 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 21 2005 - 08:21 AM

I guess I'll try Wal-Mart, then. I wonder if their Adam-12 price will be the same, since I can't find it on their site.

#15 of 76 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 21 2005 - 10:45 AM

I want this title so bad that it hurt, but being DVD-18, I'll take a pass and rent it some time. I'm tired of buying DVD-18s from Universal that don't play.

#16 of 76 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted August 21 2005 - 06:36 PM

I will be picking up both Emergency! and Adam-12 on Tuesday. I guess I'll have to check the local Wal-Mart to see what their prices are on these.

I was a huge fan of Emergency! as a kid back in the 70's and I don't think I've seen it since the 80's. I also watched Adam-12 as a kid and I don't think I've seen that since the late 70's. As much as I have been enjoying the Dragnet 67 set, I just know I'll love both Emergency and Adam-12 once I see the shows again.

#17 of 76 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,138 posts

Posted August 22 2005 - 05:17 AM

I will definately be getting this. I loved this show. I'm only worrried about the discs being double sided and from Universal. I've had so many problems with Universal discs.

#18 of 76 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted August 22 2005 - 05:22 AM

You're not the only person who hates the DVD-18 format. I wouldn't care if I had to pay extra money ... but these dual sided format DVD's are too easily to get damaged and I've already had one of my Magnum PI DVD's damaged because of this.

#19 of 76 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted August 23 2005 - 02:32 PM

Universal Strikes again my First disk side 1 of the Botchalism episode (Damn Strogonoff !) Freezes and what appears to be a Layer break at 19:17 sec until 19:57. Anyone else. I'm so Damn sick and Tired with universal I'm almost ready to Netflix only and do something not on the up and up. Can't they abandon the stupid DVD-18's (Which are produced in Mexico, and not well might I add)

There's almost no point in returning it since the replacement will undoubtedly crap the bed in another spot. It makes me sad for Night Stalker.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#20 of 76 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 23 2005 - 10:20 PM

Dave, what I tend to do in those situations (which are very rare for me; everyone on HTF talks like it happens with every DVD-18, but my DVD-18's rarely screw up) is go through all the discs once, then take the set back to the store, explain that I had trouble with a particular disc but I know the others work, and INSIST (get a manager involved if necessary) that the store exchange only the one defective disc, not the entire set of discs to include ones that are known to work. Impress upon the store that you will be very dissatisfied if they insist on exchanging the entire set as a group, since you would be gambling that known-to-work discs are being exchanged for something unknown and possible bad. Remind them politely that this helps them to know that you won't be back for future exchanges on the other discs, and that you'll re-test the one new disc immediately so that you can quickly come back if you find a problem with it, but that it won't drag on forever.

Most stores see the logic in this approach, especially when you remind them that there is no benefit to them exchanging out only entire sets, since they tend to open the new package they are exchanging for you anyway (to prevent exchanging an open item for an unopened item, which would otherwise pave the way for an unopen item return). If they get insistant that they have to exchange only the entire set of discs, ask them what your "scam" could possibly be in this disc-by-disc approach? If they won't do it your way, just look them in the eye and say, "I'm not happy with this. Can you please give me the phone number of your store's district manager?"

Just don't let them hustle you into exchanging discs that are known to work, and you won't "crap out in another spot".
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?