What's new

2005- a Disappointing Year For DVD (1 Viewer)

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Before I begin, do let me say that this comes of my personal experience and is not meant as an objective criticism of the year. Many people probably did find 2005 to be as fulfilling a year for them in DVD acquisition as I, but in terms of what I want most of all on DVD toward completing my collection, 2005 has been the most disappointing year since I started enbracing the shiny disc format.

Where to begin? Well, firstly I'm including this in the TV section, though my disappointment with 2005 extends almost as much into the DVD releases of feature films. It's been a year of repeated personal disappointment as some of my most anticipated releases were delayed, indefinitely, in particular Star Trek- The Animated Series, The Marvel Superheroes Collection, and The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection (I'm making do with the R2 release of that for the time being), while others in which episodes or components are being released scattershot covered scarcely any of what I was hoping would make it to shiny disc this year. For instance, although I promised to hold my tongue about what I was glumly certain would be happening, I will nonetheless mention that Looney Tunes Golden Collection 3 has relegated (whether they were due to be so-treated or not) the cartoons that I grew up with and am most fond and aesthetically appreciative of (i.e. those of the post-1948 period) to "also ran" status, a mere smattering on each of the four discs. And the Doctor Who DVDs released this year, bar "City of Death" (the only one I'm really excited about), have left me rather underwhelmed (I was so hoping for a Hinchcliffe era classic like "The Seeds of Doom"). The much-anticipated Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman season releases still won't hit DVD in R1 this year, and the episodes I'm most desirous of still aren't anywhere on the radar in any region. Huckleberry Hound Volume 1 won't contain any of my favorite cartoons with the blue dog (e.g. "Piccadilly Dilly", "Science Friction", "Spud Dud"), though I understand why this is so, with them not being in the first season of The Huckleberry Hound Show. No Charlie Brown releases this year. And there will remain almost as many theatrical films still on my want list at this year's end as there were at its beginning. But that's another forum...

It is true that I have about 70 percent of all desired material on DVD. A tremendous development in itself, certainly. But what's left, and some of it quite substantially beloved, remains as elusive as it was preceding 2005. The glacial pace of releases of Looney Tunes and Doctor Who remains quite contentious for me, particularly when so little of what I most desire made it to DVD this year. That said, I did buy every Doctor Who release and will be purchasing LTGC 3.

Ah, well, at least it's been a year when I've augmented my savings account in the bank. But it's not been a banner year for me where DVD is concerned, and I'm feeling really downbeat right now about improvement, really, in 2006.

Then again, who knows. Maybe I'll finally get Rocket Robin Hood, a post-1948-Warner Bros.-cartoon-heavy DVD set, copious early Pertwee and T. Baker Doctor Who stories, an end at last to my wait to have the "Kill Oscar", "Death Probe", and "Doomsday is Tomorrow" episodes with the bionic duo, and maybe a full collection of Inspector cartoons to go with the Pink Panther Cartoon Collecction. Think positive, even though mid-life crisis is very close... :b

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
You might be lucky in a way. I think I've already doubled my TV DVD collection this year, with at least 12 more titles to purchase by year's end. While it's good from a release standard, I probably could've saved for a lot of other things if I weren't buying DVDs. Oh, well. Maybe 2006 will be better for you.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
For me, 2005 has been a good year for TV releases, in general.

My biggest disappointment, however, has been the so-called 50th anniversary of Warner's television. I had high hopes that we would see a lot of WB classic shows from the Fifties and Sixties. Instead, what we have ended up getting are a few single volume "TV Favorites" of shows like Cheyenne, Maverick, F-Troop, and Welcome Back Kotter (most of which I will get). To be fair, Warner's is releasing season 1 of The Adventures of Superman in October, but I had higher expectations for a broader array of classic/vintage releases from Warner's this year.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well as someone with over 1000 dvds, I didn't think it would be possible for them to keep putting out stuff I'd want to buy. But almost every week this year, there's been something, and often a lot. And looking at the rest of this year, there are 65 more dvds I want that are slated to be released (though not all of them might make it).

Yes, there are disappointments (many classic films still MIA, screwed up dvds, especially tv sets non-OAR or edited), but overall this has been a damned expensive year, which means a good one.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
I'm close to the point, I guess, where there's nothing to my tastes that's realistically left to release, outside of the snail's pace of Doctor Who and Looney Tunes (and I'll be dead or too old to care by the time those are ever completely released). The other items on my want list are, I guess, long shots anyway. But I still had my hopes up for some tentatively announced releases this year that ended up getting indefinitely pulled from the docket.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
True, no one can ever be fully satisfied, and I would also love to see the Bionic shows or the Marvel set--- but they are coming... sometime. However, it's still been a great year in many ways. The studios have flooded the market with too many releases for any one person to ever hope to collect. As it is, I have years' worth of shows to watch, already sitting on my shelves. I cannot blame one for being disappointed in what is still missing, but this year saw or will see great releases for Twilight Zone, Adventures of Superman,Yogi Bear,Farscape, Greatest American Hero, Batman TAS, Gatchaman, Muppet Show, and many more.

And collecting wouldn't be any fun ,if there was nothing left to look forward to! (Still, I'm dying to get Steve Austin and Jamie Sommers on DVD. :) )

Elena S

Supporting Actor
You guys are lucky. This year has seen about 10% released of what I'd like to have on DVD. Hardly any of my favorites are even being considered. :frowning:

DanMel

Second Unit
I can not compalin at all this with this year's release as almost all of my favorite shows are being released.

Gilligan's Island 3 seasons
Bewithced 2 seasons
Bob Newhart 2 seasons
Seinfeld
Hogan's Heroes 2 seasons
Twilight Zone original 5 seasons
Twilight zone 80's complete
New outer limits season 1 and best of box set
News Radio Season's one and two
Andy Griffith Seasons 1-3 with hopes of gettiny Gomer Pyle soon
Night Gallery season 1
Beverly Hillbillies
Quantium Leap
3rd Rock from the sun

I may have missed a few but most happy with this year the best for me by far. Hopefully season 3 of Green Acres will be released the beginning of next year.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
2005 has been a mixed year for me. A lot of great releases and a lot of disappointments.

I love how Paramount is finally releasing some of Nickelodeon's classic shows. The two Pete and Pete releases I'll have by years end are great. But I wish that in the second wave, they would have issued a few more titles rather than just Pete and Pete and Clarissa...particularly Are You Afraid of the Dark? In addition, while I'm excited that there are two Amazing Race sets coming later this year, I'm disappointed that we only got one Survivor set.

Only one complaint for WB--releasing one episode of Growing Pains and that's it. I didn't buy the Full House set since it's not worth it just for the bonus disc. However, I really would like to see Growing Pains in the near future. On the plus side, thanks for giving us two Fresh Prince releases.

If Fox does release The Simpsons season 7 by the end of the year, then I will be very satisfied with them. Actually, I'm satisfied with them even if they don't, because aside from the packaging, season 6 was very well-done.

But the biggest disappointment, by far, was The Cosby Show set including syndicated episodes. I can't begin to say how long and how much I have wanted this show on DVD so it was a huge disappointment for me.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
It's hard for me to use the term disappointment when this whole tv-dvd trend has enabled me to really enjoy the whole viewing experience moreso than I had in years and years (thanks to the dvds' lack of logos, pop-ups, cuts, and abrasive commercial interruptions). True, the type of shows I crave most are oldies that are quite unlikely candidates (Sea Hunt, Route 66, Father Knows Best, Highway Patrol, and such) for now. I have to put that in perspective, of course.

But, as long as I have maybe two sets per month, I'm fairly satisfied. August is even one up on this for me, with "Adam-12," "Combat," and "Petticoat Junction" all coming out. Even in weak months, there are usually a few interesting oddball releases, like Image's "Tales of Tomorrow," VCI's "Littlest Hobo," or Critics Choice' "Dangerous Assignment."

If I DO have a mild complaint for 2005, it's been the absence of vintage hour-long drama/adventure shows, in the vein of "The Fugitive," "Mission: Impossible," "The Invaders," "The Untouchables," and such. There's been a wealth of releases for 70s/80s series of this nature, but not much for the 60s. That's been a very noticeable and annoying vacuum in my tv-dvd purchases this year. I thought surely one or two items fitting that bill would come out this year, and add a bit of balance to my viewing rotation. But, nope.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I find it hard to call 2005 a disappointment given that it's given me:

ER S3
West Wing S4
Wonder Woman S2 and S3
Earth 2
L&O S3
The Lone Gunmen
Pretender S1

And in the next few months will give me:

Space: Above and Beyond
L&O SVU S2
Pretender S2
Stargate SG1 S8
Stargate Atlantis S1 (the fan community believes this is coming in November, but there is no confirmation)

And not TV on DVD but still...

Star Wars Episode III
The Interpreter

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Just in 2005 titles alone, I've bought:

Batman: TAS V2
Batman: TAS V3
The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air S1
Friends S9
Law & Order S3
Lois & Clark S1
The Mary Tyler Moore Show S2
Monk S2
Monk S3
Murphy Brown S1
The Nanny S1
Scrubs S1
Star Wars: Clone Wars V1
Superman: TAS V1
Will & Grace S4

Those are in addition to the first three seasons of 24, Volume 1 of BTAS, Season 2 of Mad About You and Season 1 of Monk.

Including three titles from previous years, the rest of the year leaves for me:

The West Wing Seasons 1-4 (next up - I'll be ordering sometime in the next week or so)
Smallville S4
Desperate Housewives S1
Law & Order: SVU S2
Alias S4
Friends S10
Scrubs S2
24 S4
The West Wing S5 (I'm hoping by year's end)

Jamie Middleton

Stunt Coordinator
Personally 2005 has been a great year so far. So far in 2005 I have bought:

Popular Season 2
3rd Rock Season 1
Cheers Season 4 and 5
Friends Season 9
I Love Lucy Season 4
I Love Lucy Season 5
Charmed Season 1
Fat Actress Season 1
Bewitched Season 1
God The Devil and Bob The Complete Series
Seinfeld Season 4

and promises to be even better this fall and the first half of winter. September, October and November are looking to be very expensive months for me already with:

Cheers Season 6 (September)
Cheers Season 7 (November)
Charmed Season 2 (September)
Charmed Season 3 (November)
Thrid Rock From The Sun Season 2 (October)
Bewitched Season 2 (October 25)
Lost (gonna blind buy this one I guess)
Friends Season 10 (November)

and im sure there will be more announced before its all said and done!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I was starting to think that I was the only one out there waiting for the 2 bionic series :D

Thanks, since it makes the waiting a lot easier to know there are others out there that like these 2 as much as I do.

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
^^^Every year since 2001 has had at least 1 Simpsons release.
I am personally very satisfied with this year. I have purchased 24 season sets so far.

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator
2005 has been pretty good for me.

2005 Releases that I have purchased

Simpsons S6
Muppet Show S1
Dukes of Hazzard S2 Thru S4
Greatest American Hero S1 Thru S3
Gilligan's Island S2 & S3
Earth 2
Tales from the Crypt S1
Fantastic Four 94-95
Father of the Pride
Lois & Clark S1
Sopranos S5
Wonder Woman S2 & S3
Ba Ba Black Sheep V1
Superfriends V2
MASH S8
American Chopper S1 & S2
Monster Garage S1 & S2
Scrubs S1
Seinfeld S1-S4
Partridge Family S1
Land of the Lost S3
Wildboyz S2
Magnum PI S2
Sledgehammer S2
Viva La Bam S2 & S3
Lone Gunmen
Doogie Howser S1
Hardy Boys S1
SW Clone Wars V1
Wild Kingdom
Hogan's Heroes
South Park S5
Night Court S1
Lidsville
Soap S3

46 Season Sets so far in 05

Plus coming soon that I will be buying

Alf S2
Emergency S1
Lost S1-can't wait
Doogie Howser S2
American Chopper S3
Sigmund & the Sea Monster S1
New battlestar Galactica S1
Hogan's Heros S2
Stargate SG-1 S8
Into the West
Soap S4 -can't wait
Arrested Development S2
Tales from the Crypt S2
3rd Rock S2
Scrubs S2
Stargate Atlantis-not yet announced but prob Nov

16+ some more not yet announced

Makes 62 for 2005

I am pretty happy about 2005
but I am still waiting for

Bionic Woam
6M$M
Bosom Buddies
Boston Common
Brisoce County Jr.
Charmings
Day by Day
F-Troop
Fantasy Island
Get Smart
Herman's Head
Incredible Hulk-Season Sets
Marvel Superheroes
Mr. Belvedere
Star Trek Cartoon
Still Standing
That 80's Show
Two and a Half Men
Voyagers

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
If it means we'll be able to eventually own the entire series on DVD... just the release of Mary Tyler Moore - Season 2 has made my 'TV on DVD' year! That was my personal holy grail of TV on DVD. Add to that more seasons of Seinfeld, Cheers, Frasier, Raymond, Golden Girls, Law and Order, M*A*S*H, Moonlighting, etc. :emoji_thumbsup:

Now if we can just have Get Smart and Wild, Wild West...

If not for the Carsey-Werner (Roseanne) debacle, I would have considered this a FANTASTIC year for TV on DVD!

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I've just started finally collecting TV series this year, and I'm really happy that I have. I might only own 14 TV Sets and 1 DVD of Comedy specials (I'm still really a movies kind of guy), but I will say that this year was far from a disappointment. With releases like Night Court S1 and Father of the Pride Complete Series, along with upcoming releases like Arrested Development S2, Nip/Tuck S2, and Count Duckula S1, it's going to be an expensive fall to say the least. Enough said.

My whole TV collection though:

Nip/Tuck S1
Arrested Development S1
The Critic Complete Series
Game Over Complete Series (Blind Purchased; Haven't watched it yet though)
Father of the Pride Complete Series
Aqua Teen Hunger Force V1
Sealab 2021 V1
Night Court S1
Clerks Uncensored
Dead Like Me S1
The Simpsons S1
The Simpsons S2
Rescue Me S1
Family Guy Freakin Sweet Collection
The Complete Denis Leary (No Cure for Cancer & Lock 'n' Load)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks