Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sub Help

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Corey Hancock

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted August 18 2005 - 10:00 PM

Hey everyone, I was recently a victim of a lightning storm. Or rather, my receiver and sub/amp were. Anyhow, my STR-DA777ES and NHT SA-2 amp are probably dead. I already have a replacment receiver on order (VSX-74TXvi) however I'm torn on what I should do about the sub amp. The sub is an NHT SW2Pi with the SA-2 amp. When the sub amp is turned on the sub puts out a solid hum that can not be adjusted by the volume nob. Doesn't matter if the sub amp is connected to the receiver or not. I hooked up the sub to a crappy receiver I had in the closet and the sub works though. So, I guess the question is, should I get a new amp or get a new sub? I also liked using the front line outputs to the sub amp instead of using the sub out from the receiver. Any suggestions? Corey

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,941 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted August 19 2005 - 05:06 PM

If you’re asking which one is the source of the hum (i.e., which needs to be replaced), that would be the amp. If you’re asking if you should just go ahead and get a powered sub instead of replacing the amp, it seems to me that if the sub works fine, it’ll be cheaper to replace the amp instead of the whole she-bang. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Corey Hancock

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted August 19 2005 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the response Wayne. Anyone have any suggestions on Sub amps? It's hard as hell to find the SA-2.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   MikeLi

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

• 945 posts

Posted August 20 2005 - 04:26 AM

I will make another suggestion that you may like or not but take it however. I had two of those same sub/amps two years ago. Loved them for music but they did not do movies justice. I switched to a single SVS sub with the amp built in and am in heaven now. Plus cost me less than what I paid for the NHT's. I am not joking the SVS sub put those in the dirt, no comparrison at all... good luck.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Corey Hancock

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted August 20 2005 - 04:31 AM

Which SVS did you get? TBH, I've been reading most of the threads here about what subs people are getting and everyone getting the svs and really peaked my interest in getting an svs sub.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users