What's new

Having second thoughts on this whole "Console War" thing... (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Im not trying to start a debate or flame war... as a matter of fact, Im thinking of not getting either the X-Box or the Gamecube. Obviously both will have their pros and cons but I was flat determined to get a GC for X-mas just because of RLII. But then what after it gets old? It seems that every other game is available for the PS2 (which I have and love) and the only "exclusive" is Resident Evil (which I never got into). So why would I want a GC?
Then I look at the X-Box and think it's GOTTA be awesome. Just look at the specs! Then I again realize that all those games are coming for either the PC or PS2. Halo looks awesome but I can be patient for the PC version and Obi-wan looks good too; but let's be honest if they can port it cheaply to the PC in 6 months, they're going to do it. So what, if any, system should I get?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Rob,
I'm not a big PS2 fan (but am a huge PSX fan), but even so if I were you I'd probably stick with the PS2 for a while.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I agree, stick with the PS2 if you're not sure. The PS2 is a solid winner already in the console wars, there's no two ways about it. I mean, I'm getting a GameCube mainly for one reason, and one reason alone: I'm an unabashed Resident Evil FREAK. I love the Resident Evil series, and I'm going to pick up the system that's going to let me play it next-gen.
I also want Super Monkey Ball, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur II, the various Mario games, new Zelda, and the new Smash Bros. I expect Nintendo will not let me down in the quality department. But, everything that isn't Nintendo or Res. Evil will eventually make it to the PS2, that's true.
That being said, I like the Cube having a slightly smaller user base sometimes, because it deters companies that continuously release crap. I love my PSX, but after sifting through the hundreds of games for it, I have about... thirty that I intend to buy for it. For a games available versus games I'll own ratio, that isn't great.
Likewise, the PS2 software I want, specifically Crazy Taxi and SSX and other EA Sports software, will get onto the GameCube. So for me, the Cube's the next logical progression in my game systems.
For you, however, I see somebody who's not sold on the machine, and doesn't like arguably the biggest launch title. You clearly either own or are thinking of getting a PS2. Why waste your time with the Cube when you already know the PS2 has what you're looking for?
Other option: Go to a site like ign.com list all the GameCube games you think you might want. Do the same for PS2, note ones of exceptional quality that are system-only, compare. I went through that process deciding to get my PSOne, so it might help you.
Hopefully that wasn't too rambly :)
------------------
Mark Evans
Low Rent Movie Critic, Low Rent Home Theater Owner, Low Rent Everything

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I would say stick with a PS2. If you get a new console by the end of the year, make it a GameCube.
Why the GameCube? First, its cheap. Second, there is a huge demand for Nintendo products all the time, so you can sell it on E-bay easily. Third, it has many games that people have said are good, like Super Monkey Ball. Rogue Leader is looking good (and based on what I have read about its length, its not going to just get old after a week). Fourth, the X-Box has three types of games:
1) 100% Exclusive to it (PC ports excluded)
2) Premiering games (exclusive for a while, but can go elsewhere later)
3) Ports
If you have a good PC, and a PS2 or GCN, then you don't need an X-Box. If you want two consoles, go with the PS2 because of what it has and the GCN because of what it will have (and its cheap).

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
It seems that every other game is available for the PS2 (which I have and love) and the only "exclusive" is Resident Evil (which I never got into). So why would I want a GC?
Well don't forget the countless exclusive games from Nintendo themselves here. These are, at the end of the day, the major draw for people to buy the Cube because in house titles like Smash Brothers, Mario, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin and so on will not appear on other consoles. The question is if the exclusive titles the Cube will have appeal to you, and from the sound of it, they don't beyond Rogue Leader...
Now, the cube is next for me, though finally after a year I am willing to pay up for PS2. The mass of new consoles has actually sparked a new interest in gaming for me, I'm looking forward to it and the PS2 is a great machine now with a growing catalogue of truly GREAT titles. Whilst yes a lot of PS2 stuff is also on or coming to the PS2, in not being a huge PC gamer a PS2 will find a good home with me.
Do exactly as Mark suggests though, I just made the same point in another thread here. Take a look at the current consoles, take a look at their games and go for whatever one meets your gaming tastes and demands most. For me, it has to be a mixture of the Cube and PS2, but everyone is different.
Don't feel forced to buy one of the new consoles because its new. If I was like that I'd have had a PS2 from its launch, a time when the console and its launch games were of no interest to me whatsoever. Don't worry if you don't feel the need to buy the new machines...
Dan (UK)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That being said, I like the Cube having a slightly smaller user base sometimes, because it deters companies that continuously release crap. I love my PSX, but after sifting through the hundreds of games for it, I have about... thirty that I intend to buy for it. For a games available versus games I'll own ratio, that isn't great.
So what? The games you don't or won't buy don't matter.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I've been thinking about this in the last few days also. I already had a Gamecube and Xbox preorder (both of which have been canceled) but now I'm wondering if I've done something stupid.
I wanted Gamecube 100%, but then once I really started looking at the launch lineup (and the games I had preordered) I couldn't really figure out why I was about to buy it. Rogue Leader, Waverace, and Tony Hawk 3.
Rogue Leader: Didn't like the first one on N64, so I'm not sure why I would like this new version. My main trouble with the N64 version is that it appeared as if you were flying REALLY slow! And on quite a few movies of RL, it appeared this way as well.
Waverace: Loved the first one...at first. After I beat it a few times I never picked it up again. I'm guessing this will happen on the Gamecube version as well.
Tony Hawk 3: Just picked up the PS2 version, which has online play. Nothing more to say here.
I'm thinking I'll pick it up when either Resident Evil, Mario, or Zelda comes out. (Whichever one ends up coming out first, that's when I'll buy it)
As for Xbox, I kinda wanted it, but kinda didn't. Halo, Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham racing.
Halo Without online play, I'm not really sure if I'll enjoy this game. Plus, I don't want to buy a whole new version just to get the online version. A online update would be nice.
Dead or Alive 3 I want this game! Plain and simple.
Project Gotham Racing I was a little worried at first, because I found MSR to be too hard. But hearing that they've improved the kudos system, I may like it more. With the added feature of using your own music in the game, it makes it that much better[/b]
Wow, you know what. I've never actually written out my reasons for wanting either system before. Now that I've done it, it's clear to see that I would have much more fun with a Xbox at launch, and a Gamecube further down the road.
Hmm, is Soul Calibur 2 coming out for Xbox as well as the Gamecube? What about Skies of Arcadia?
Well, this post has gone on for way too long I think. One last thing to say though...I think I've made a big mistake in canceling my preorders. Now, I have to try and work a miracle and find some place that still has some preorders left. Grrrr!
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, is Soul Calibur 2 coming out for Xbox as well as the Gamecube? What about Skies of Arcadia?
Soul Calibur 2 , yes.
Skies of Arcadia, no.
And the XB will have Jet Grind Radio Future, and the GC will not.
And so on. But you can bet Sega will be looking at more ports to whichever consoles are successful in the market.
Personally, Jet Grind Radio Future and Shenmue II are enough to make me choose XBox right off the bat.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Well, after posting that message and reflecting on it, I called up the closest Electonics Boutique to my house. Asked them if they were still taking Xbox preorders and if I preordered would it guarantee me one on launch day. They answered 'yes' to both questions.
So, I rushed off to the store and threw down $100 for the preorder bundle which came with Dead or Alive 3, Halo, and an extra controller(microsoft brand). Plus I preordered Gotham Street Racing.
I'm pretty happy right now.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One big reason why I could care less about the X-Box is that DoA3 is almost exactly like DoA2:H for PS2, only with better graphics and new levels. I was really looking for something more.
Rogue Leader has graphical and gameplay enhancements over Rogue Squadron, plus I loved RS, so this is my game.
The rest of the launch games are somewhat equal (besides Halo, which looks to be GREAT) but between launch and Christmas, the GameCube looks to be preferrable.
Nonetheless, I'm sticking with my PS2 for now and I will be VERY happy come January 2. I will get a GCN (hopefully by Christmas) and an X-Box some time next year, when the good stuff comes out.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
One big reason why I could care less about the X-Box is that DoA3 is almost exactly like DoA2:H for PS2, only with better graphics and new levels. I was really looking for something more.
Rogue Leader has graphical and gameplay enhancements over Rogue Squadron, plus I loved RS, so this is my game.
Umm, you've just stated the same thing about both game(both have improved graphics and gameplay), yet for some reason because DoA3 is on Xbox, it doesn't matter and you wish they did more? Huh?
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First of all, DoA3 only has better graphics and new backgrounds/characters, nothing in the gameplay has really changed. Rogue Leader has added features from Starfighter, along with the new setting, ships, story, etc. Fighting games barely have compelling stories and the backgrounds serve little more than ring outs, pin ups, and flashy graphics. So in a sense, Rogue Leader has more over Rogue Squadron than DoA3 has over DoA2:H.
Second, Luigi's Mansion has a brand new idea with a new style of gameplay. Its very original. Nothing on the XB is as original as this game.
Third, I would prefer to play Rogue Leader over DoA3 because of the amount of game time involved. I have heard reports from people who have played final versions of both games that DoA3 can be completed in the same amount of time as DoA2, which isn't very long, and that Rogue Leader takes a while and has more hidden things and extras. If Rogue Leader is anything like Rogue Squadron, that alone would make me want it over DoA3.
Fourth, this is my opinion. I liked Rogue Squadron, so I will probably like Rogue Leader. I liked DoA2:H, but I would rather spend $50 and get more than just eye candy around something I had already done to great extent on two other consoles.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Just spend all of your cash and get them all!!!!
biggrin.gif

Sorry...I'm having a bad day and I needed to try and laugh...
Seriously,just like everyone has said,take the time to research everything. Then look at what you think that you would like best. Then go from there....
Calvin
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks