What's new

Best DVD player to buy? Denon 2900/2910? Anything better? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I currently own the Panasonic RP91. Had it for
the past 2 years and for its time it was considered
the best DVD player out there.

Now I am itching to buy a new DVD player that
upconverts standard DVD to near HD-quality. I have
never actually seen the improvement that is to be
expected in such image upgrade, but I can imagine that
it is significant.

My friend owns the Denon 2900 and swears by it.
The prietag is just over $800, which is a bit steep,
but hey....if the image quality is THAT GOOD then it
is worth the price I am certain.

Doing some research I noticed that the Denon 2900
does not support HDMI, or at least, that was something
I thought I had read. It was suggested that anyone
who wants HDMI support should move up to the 2910.

I thought I'd ask what all of you thought would be
the best DVD player to purchase in the $700-$800
range.

I want HDMI output for future connections as well
as standard DVD upconvert capability.

What are you guys recommending these days?

Also, tell me more about the quality improvement
I should expect when running my standard DVDs through
a player that upconverts.

Finally, your opinion......

If I do go the route of the Denon 2910, what do
you think of THIS?

A region-free player would be grand, but not quite sure
of the reputation of the company selling it.

Thanks in advance!

greg_t

Screenwriter
I've tried two upconverting players, the Zenith 318 and the Panny S97, and neither produced any real improvment over 480p out from my RP82. I haven't tried the denon 2910 though, but I believe it has the Faroudja 2300 chip in it and thus will have macroblocking. After being disappointed with upconverting players, I've gone back to my RP91 and use it's 480i output to an Iscan HD unit. My RP91 is region free and was made so by use of an upgrade CD.

I'm only using a 53" screen, and I'm not sure what you're using Ron, but for me, the upconverting players just aren't a real improvment, and sometimes add more issues such as the macroblocking. I'd like to see a Denon 5910, which uses the same upscaling chip as the Iscan HD.

The 2900 does not have HDMI and does not upconvert. It's 480p via the Silicon Image 504 deinterlacer and has been replaced by the Denon 3910.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Unless you're interested in the audio portions of those players (SACD/DVD-A) I'd look at the Oppo for an upconverting player that received pretty good reviews on Secrets. That said, I have the 2900 (which is 480p only) and am more than happy with its performance on my PDP. It's discontinued so should you find one it should be priced closer to $500 (or less).

Mort

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Ron,

The DVD-2900 is out of production and as Greg mentioned, outputs 480p as component video only. It does not upconvert the video and does not have a DVI/HDMI output. It has very good 480p video quality and has an excellent audio section for DVD-A and SACD playback.

The DVD-2910 does upconvert to 720p or 1080i through the HDMI output (but not via component video), so you need an HD capable display with an HDMI input. FYI, the DVD-2910 replaced the DVD-2200. The DVD-2900 was replaced by the DVD-3910.

What display do you have? Generally, people with digital displays (LCD, plasma, DLP) have reported the most noticable improvements when using an upconverting DVD player, but it varied widely, depending on the player and the display. Most of the comments I've seen from people with CRT based displays have been that there was little, if any, improvement in picture quality.

I have a CRT display (Pioneer SD-533) and an RP-91. I have been thinking about getting a used Denon DVD-2900, but it would be mainly for use as an audio player. For video I'm going to wait to see how the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray fiascos shake out.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

I have a 56" Toshiba RPTV that is 4-5 years old.

No HDMI or DVI input. Using component.

Am I a candidate for a player that upconverts
with noticeablebly better image?

Thanks for the responses thus far.

James Phung

Second Unit
Most upconverting players with hdmi/dvi will only upconvert over hdmi/dvi nowadays. They will only allow 480p (or 480i) over component.

If money was no object I would love to get the Denon 5910. But the $3500 price tag is a little too high for me at least. :)

If you're only using component upconversion, then you're limited to not too many dvd players.

Faroudja processing players with upconversion over component would be the zenith 318 and the samsung 941. You will need to use the old firmware to get upconversion over component on the zenith, and you have to disable hdcp with a hack to get component upconversion with the samsung 941.

Non-Faroudja upconverting players would include the Samsung 850 (with a hack), the Momitsu V880 players, and avel linkplayer2 to name a few.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ron - Given your display I wholeheartedly recommend the Denon 2900. It can't be beat in its price range for 480p video output (better than the 3910 in my system, which exhibited Faroudja FLI23xx macroblocking issues, as did the Zenith DVB318) and you get a top-notch CD/SACD/DVD-A player in the bargain. It's built like a tank. In fact, an HTF member has a very lightly used 2900 up for sale now at a great pice:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=239596

I greatly prefer the Silicon Image deinterlacer in the 2900 to Faroudja for film material. Until the HighDef DVD formats get ironed out and on the market I don't think you can find a better value. In my opinion there's no sense in dumping a lot of money into a 480i/p DVD player that's "future proof" (HDMI/DVI) at this point in the game, since they're all gonna be obsolete pretty soon.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
The Denon is a good machine,and I haven't heard anyone complaining about it once it was hooked up. The link for the region free seems about in line cost-wise with other sites selling it modded.

Dare I suggest the Oppo if you've got DVI or HDMI? ;)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Ron,

I'll ditto Doug's comments, the 2900 would be an excellent option for you, IMO. I really doubt you would see a significant improvement from an upconverting player on your RPTV, even over the component video connections. The 2900 has very good video quality, particularly from film based sources (it uses the Silicon Graphics chip) and the audio quality is outstanding.

Have you had you RPTV calibrated? If not, a good calibration would provide a greater improvement in video quality than an upconverting player.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronbo,
I have the 2900 which replaced the RP-91 as my main dvd player and I'm very happy with it's 480P video presentation as well as it's audio performance.

Crawdaddy

Rolando

Screenwriter
Well I am in a similar situation, needing a new player, so I hope you don't mind me "hijacking" your thread a bit. figure better than starting a new one so similar.

I had a Malata and I was surprised by all it's features. I got it simply because it was region free and did PAL to NTSC. Turned out to be a gem.

I can zoom in progressively to well over 100% but even better in can zoom out to compensate for overscan.

It can pan left, right, up or down. again to help compensate overscan or in conjunction with zoom really lock in on a part of a scene.

the forwards and reverses were my favorite. FWD X2, X4 or X20 but the best was the slow mo. can go 1/2 speed, 1/4 or as slow as 1/20!!! I love it to really get the detail from a scene. sometimes you are not sure you saw what you saw. well let me tell you, now you can be sure.

another must is that it creates black bars automatically for 4:3 content which is great because I really don;don't like those grey bars but REFUSE to alter the AR.

Well it has been crapping out on me on and off for the last 4-5 months. it's near the end I tell you.

Well I was considering the 2910 for a while but it seems rather pricey. I don't mind paying for quality PQ but I know I will never listen to any DVD-A or other audio formats. not even one.

SO what do you guys recommend? If it upscales it is a plus but all I really want is great PQ and those features I will surely miss if not there.

Of course with PQ being the FIRST PRIORITY I am willing to sacrifice one or more of those if it is justified.

would love suggestions. thanks.

Oh yes, almost forgot, seamless layer switch would be nice

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ronald, "significant" is more like get a D-VHS deck, IMO. I just got an Oppo DVI player and I don't see any huge improvement over my 2900 via component. I do see significant improvement with D-Theater tapes on my JVC tape decks. DVD ain't ever gonna look like that, no how, no way! Get the 2900 if ya wanna do M/C music, otherwise, maybe you ought to opt for one of the other Denons and save a buck...? :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The only current Denon players he'd be able to find cheaper than a used/old stock 2900 are the 1720 and 1920, neither of which should really be under consideration.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Ron,

For what it's worth, there's a region-free software hack floating around the net for the 2900. I've applied it and retired my upconverting region-free Momitsu in favor of the Denon's superior build qualities (and coupled with an iScan HD for upconversion).

I'd also like to echo the earlier comments that the 2900 is the best route for your video-wise. If I'm not mistaken, it uses the same video chip as your RP-91.

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,

I'm currently considering getting a Denon 1920, so naturally I'm curious why you wrote that neither that nor the 1720 should be under consideration. Is it simply b/c his budget allows for better items out there, and because one of the 1920's advantages is the HDMI interface which he doesn't have on his tv, or is there something wrong w/ the 1920?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gents,

Thanks for all your responses.
Very appreciative of your help.

It seems to me that many feel I may
not benefit from the upconversion of
the Denon 2910.

With High Definition looming, it may
just be worth to wait it out another
year and spend that kind of money on
a HD-capable player.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Ron you might also consider the universal Sherwood-Newcastle SD-871 They are built like tanks and look stunning in the titanium finish that goes well with black or silver gear. I'm likely getting one shortly.

Features

* SACD, DVD-Audio/DVD-Video playback
* DVD +/- R/RW, CD-R/RW compatible
* MP-3, JPEG, Kodak Picture CD Playback
* WMA Playback
* DivX Playback
* Progressive Scan playback
* 192 kHz/24-Bit Audio DAC's
* Faroudja DCDI processing
* HDMI Digital output (HDCP: 720p/1080i Video ouput, 192 kHz audio ouput)
* 216 MHz/12 bit video DAC's
* 2 Pair component video outputs (RCA and BNC)
* RS-232C control input
* 480p Component Video Output
* Two each S-Video and composite Video outputs
* 5.1/7.1 channel Audio Outputs plus 2-channel audio downmix output
* One each coaxial and optical digital audio outputs
* Pure Audio Mode turns off all video processing
* Pure Black Mode allows black level adjustment (7.5 IRE or 0 IRE)
* Sherwood Digi Link III communication protocol
* Aluminum front panel

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Beautiful player...and I'd absolutely consider it.

See my post 2 above. I am concerned I will not
really see a difference in quality with the upconversion.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You wouldn't be upconverting to 1080 given the component input choice on your TV without going with one of the Oppo type players. The sherwood adds SACD that you don't have now and should last longer then the lasers in the panasonics. They have an 860 model that's cheaper without the HDMI and upconversion in the same case.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Explain this to me, please?

What exactly do those players do that the Sherwood
and Denon don't when it comes to component input?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks