Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Sin City - RECOMMENDED

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 of 144 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 12:52 PM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 144 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,762 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted August 15 2005 - 01:06 PM

Er, not to be glib, but are we sure that the disc wasn't actually sourced directly from the digital master? Did they actually output it to film and then source it from that? If it just comes directly from the digital master, it's really no surprise that it avoids pitfalls of film-to-tape transfers. DJ

#3 of 144 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 01:08 PM

Cool, Dave!

Been waiting for your review! Sounds killer! Congrats on the new house as well! Me and my fiancee are actually moving this sat. to our new apt. and I will finally get to see my new optoma DLP FP on an actual screen, (optoma greywolf) as oppossed to just the wall.
Now that we have jumped to FP, many of the comments you and others have made in the past re: transfer issues are much more noticeable at big screen widths.

Excellent review as always!

Posted Image d

#4 of 144 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 01:15 PM

Excellent points DJ. In fact, yes, the DVD was sourced from digital files and it looks that way. However, don't be fooled into thinking that this avoids the "digital haze" issues...that post-production "let's make the DVD look better by turning this dial up to eleven..." mentality can much up anything. But in any case you make a good point and I'll modify the review accordingly. Thanks!

Posted Image

#5 of 144 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 02:24 PM

God, I want to wait for the SE coming out on down the line, but the temptation is overwhelming me! I hate double-dipping but this may be worth it. Ergh!!!

#6 of 144 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 02:25 PM

Great review - I'll be picking it up tomorrow for $20 CDN. It should look stellar on my Benq 8700 projector and HTPC. Dave, have you upgraded your DVD player yet? Posted Image
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#7 of 144 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,815 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 03:50 PM

Nice review David, again. And I appreciate your objectivity and honesty when giving your audio conclusions. From reading your reviews, not always, but it seems that usually you prefer the dts mix so sometimes it's easy to think that you or others are biased. Not the case with you at all. You really do call it as you see and hear it and I appreciate that and trust your reviews. Good job. Keep up the good work. I meant to see this film many times last spring, but things kept happening from me seeing it. Looking forward to the dvd. I've been warned by many to have realistic expectations.

#8 of 144 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 04:33 PM

If you mean me Dave, yes, I just got an oppo upscaling player and through DVI, the pic. is phenomenal.

Posted Image

#9 of 144 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,673 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 10:27 PM

I will definitely rent it - my wife has not seen it yet. I enjoyed the film. The repetitive theme diminishes my need to purchase for repeat viewings.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#10 of 144 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,321 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 10:33 PM

My personal story on this film....

I was actually very concerned about watching
Sin City. I know it had gotten quite
a bit of positive press upon its release, but
I also knew that it was supposed to be a very
dark comic book film, something that I knew
would not be appealing to me.

I bought the DVD blindly simply because that's
what I do. Sometimes it pays off -- sometimes
it doesn't.

So here I am watching the first few minutes of
Sin City last night and already I wanted
to eject the DVD from the player. Not sure if it
was because I was tired or that I wasn't getting
into it -- but I was struggling to stay with it
just a little longer.

Thank goodness I did for within the first 20
minutes things just clicked! I found myself riveted
to this story about Marv (Mickey Rourke), out
for vengeance against the group who killed
a prostitute named Goldie (Jaime King), whom he was
madly in love with. As I found myself comfortably
enjoying this story, I became very appreciative of
the film's look and feel which is technically beyond
anything that his been done in film to date.

Though the film's first story was by far my favorite,
I also immensely enjoyed enjoyed the story of Dwight
(Clive Owen), who gets drawn into Old Town to dispose
the body of a murdered cop before a truce is broken.

...then there's the film's first and final sequence
which stars Bruce as John Hartigan, a cop who captures
a child rapist and vows to protect the girl he saved
(Jessica Alba).

All three stories take place in seedy black-and-white
surroundings known as Sin City, a highly perverse city
whose heroes are highly psychotic, but at the same time
strangely likable.

As David Boulet points out, the DVD is gorgeous.
It's not often that you see black levels this rich,
and I swear the band-aids that Mickey Rourke wear
give so much added dimension that they seem to leap
off the screen.

I was very surprised as to how stunning a film this
was. It's vastly beautiful and entertaining on a
level far exceeding anything I have seen in recent memory.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 144 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 12:27 AM

I think Im gonna hold out for the SE as Im tired of double dipping.

#12 of 144 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,059 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted August 16 2005 - 12:49 AM

Good to hear about the quality, but I refuse to double dip. Much like del Toro and PJ before him, I thank RR for ensuring the fans are aware of the SE before this release. I appreciate being told the release plan. Picking up the SE for sure. I loved the movie, but I was familiar with the source material. Yes, Sin City is essentially a well read teenage boys' naughty (but strangely moral) fantasies given form, but it works. Thanks for the review, Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#13 of 144 OFFLINE   DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 01:24 AM

Excellent review Dave!! I'll be picking it up today. This will tide me over until the SE. Although I don't like double dipping as well, this is one of those exceptions where I'll be happy to make.

#14 of 144 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 01:59 AM

Thanks for the review, Dave. But tell us more about your new basement home theater. -Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#15 of 144 OFFLINE   Scott_lb

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor

• 592 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 02:53 AM

Sin City is being released today on PSP UMD as well for those interested.
"My name is El Nino which in spanish means.... The Nino!" - Chris Farley

#16 of 144 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 03:56 AM

Dave, I meant the other Dave, but it seems you have the better player than the Momitsu V880 that Dave (the other one) uses. Posted Image Posted Image

I find the Momitsu V880 upconverting player adds a bit too much noise to the picture. It doesn't add EE at least, but things look a little bit artificial when compared to my HTPC.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#17 of 144 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 04:02 AM

So what's the best *affordable* DVI-out scaling DVD player? I'd be willing to upgrade if the image improvment was worth it. I could be tempted to go HTPC if it didn't cost too much and could be simple enough for me to intruct my roomates on how to use it as well...but a stand-alone "plug and play" DVD player would be my first choice. My buddy with the 1080P JVC HD2K has the pioneer...and it produces in his system possibly the best DVD image I've ever seen regardless of price. I've been tempted to bring it over and check it out in my own system...it has HDMI out (though that might be problmetic with the BenQ 8700 which only does DVI?) but it costs a pretty penny... Throw your suggestions my way! I'll comment more on my basement HD later when it get it properly set up. Suffice to say for now that one of the driving impulses to buy a home, in addition to the usual list of things...was to finally have a place where I could review/enjoy movies without worry about anyone else being disturbed. It's perfect...I have 3 roomates in my 2nd floor bedrooms and with the HT in the basement I can crank it at night at any hour and no one hears a thing upstairs...bliss...

#18 of 144 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,248 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 04:09 AM

Has there been any word on the SE release date? I found articles of RR talking about what would probably be on there (sounds very cool) but nothing with a release date, firm or tentative. Thanks!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#19 of 144 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 04:18 AM

Nope, no official word yet. It still isn't clear whether the theatrical cut will be included on the eventual SE. Some of RR's recent comments seem to suggest that it will, but nothing definite has been announced.

#20 of 144 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 04:40 AM

How anyone could have missed the theatrical release of this movie and wait for the downrezed dvd is beyond me. Maybe it's because I live in LA where we have more than one theater in town to choose from. The movie looked gorgeous and solid in DLP. While I'm sure the dvd looks great it can't hold a candle to even 1.3k digital projection. I've read the dvd has the same dialogue quality problems as the theatrical release. There's some noise present, especially in the first half of the movie. Sounded kind of like digital upsampling artifacts to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users