What's new

Directors Films that should be reissued as SPECIAL EDITIONS (1 Viewer)

Alex Cano

Auditioning
Hello, here are some films that I love but haven't purchased because I believe that the studio that released them should have put at least some effort (in the meantime I'll stick to my VHS copies), and would like to know what other films you think should be re-issued as SE's.

Hopefully the studios will be looking at these boards and see the interest.

By Special Edition, I mean at least some features, in relation to the importance of the film, I wouldn't expect an "Alien Quadrilogy"-type release for "Motel Hell," (more something along the lines of "Last House on the Left SE" or Howling SE), but I would for a film like Superman 2. Anyway, here goes:

1. SUPERMAN 2 - RICHARD DONNER DIRECTOR'S CUT SE
For me, the Holy Grail of films in need to be restored and taken out as Special Editions. The only DVD release was barebones, which is inexplicable given a film of this importance and turmoiled history. Donner shot about 70% of the film along with "Superman The Movie" (most of it except the battle over Metropolis), before stopping to concentrate on the first film's release. The Salkinds had Lester reshoot a lot of it, which had him get Director's credit. But Donner's footage's still there, along with all the Marlon Brando stuff that brings full circle his relationship with his son, begun in the first film, also Superman destroying the Fortress of Solitude a the end, Louis pretending to shoot Clark in order to have him show his true identity, and a lot of other stuff. With that in, Donner could get Director's credit for this version. The moment is perfect, with "Superman Returns" coming next year, and Bryan Singer sprinboarding it from "Richard Donner's Superman" and set after Superman 2. Imagine the media coverage! An in-depth documentary about the making of "Superman 2", another awesome audio commentary with Donner and Mank, etc. Maybe issue another Super-Duper Special Collector's Edition with both "Superman The Movie" (maybe this time including the Theatrical Cut and original mono soundtrack) and "Superman 2", call it THE SUPERMAN SAGA and... ok I'll stop there.

2. DARKMAN
The movie is great fun, it has a cult following, Sam Raimi does some of the best audio commentaries, this was his first studio film and could make for a great documentary. The only DVD release was barebones and one of the first titles out, must be lots of space for improvement in transfer and sound,.

3. THEY LIVE
The last GREAT John Carpenter film, imho. Carpenter audio commentary, making of, trailers, cast commentary. Come on, this movie kicks a$$! If the studio is not hip enough, give it to Anchor Bay (they did a great 2-Disc SE of Supergirl, for Chrissakes!).

4. MOTEL HELL
Awesome movie, great fun, very witty, deserves a hell of a lot more than being in a 2-pack with some piece of crap, Cinemax-filler flick. Deserves an SE to equal the one for "Return of the Living Dead" and "Last House on the Left," something modest but thorough.

5. INNERSPACE
One of Joe Dante's best, funny, moving, witty, wacky, sweet, great script, great FX, great actors with much chemistry (Dennis Quaid, Meg Ryan, Martin Short), must-see film, GROSSLY underrated, Dante is also great in commentaries, also needs a making-of, an FX featurette. PLEASE!

6. THE ROCKETEER
Another criminally underrated film, great innocent fun. Director commentary, making-of, FX featurette, history of the independent comic on which it was based.

7. THE NEVER-ENDING STORY
For some reason , this film was never as succesful here as it was in Europe. Wolfgan Petersen rocks, this film is classy, literate, sweet, has a great message and the entire production is top notch. Whatever you do, don't watch the sequels!

That's it for now, please add your entries, or second some of mine see if we can see some consensus. Any studios out there reading this?

Alex

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Innerspace has a commentary track featuring:
>Director Joe Dante
>Producer Michael Finnell
>Co-Stars Kevin McCarthy and Robert Picardo
>Visual Effects Supervisor Dennis Muren

Plus it has both the new 5.1 Surround and original Stereo soundtracks.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Just one pops to mind...

Three O'Clock High

One my all time favorite films that deserves more than it got on the current disc, which is to say not one damn thing. The transfer's nice, though.

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
I'm all for SUPERMAN II, DARKMAN and NEVER-ENDING STORY new special editions. Especially Sups.

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
What about 'Death Becomes Her'! R1 got it full-screened and R2/4 got a shoddy non-anamorphic transfer straight from the laserdisc that require the brightness levels turned up to see anything! What's worse is that there is a huge amount of deleted scenes including an entirely removed subplot leading to an alternate ending. Some of these are featured in the trailer on the disc.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Walter Hill's "STREETS OF FIRE" starring Diane Lane...

Walter Hill's "SOUTHERN COMFORT"...

Steven Soderbergh's "KING OF THE HILL"

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Braveheart
Face/Off
Con Air
The Ghost and the Darkness
The Hand that Rocks the Cradle
Twins
kindergarten Cop
Conan the Destroyer
Short Circut
Sleepers
Contact
Crimson Tide
The Fugitive
Demolition Man

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see an anti-SE of The Last of the Mohicans which would present the theatrical cut of the film on DVD.

- Walter.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Moved to Polls. There are many threads in HT Software discussing the desire for special editions of individual titles.

M.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Keeping to just English language films:

The Night of the Hunter
Days of Heaven
Shock Corridor
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Every Stanley Kubrick film

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics