Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Think The Blues Brothers (25th Aniv Ed) will be worth buying again?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 OFFLINE   Dean L

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted August 14 2005 - 03:51 PM

For those of us who already own the Special Edition DVD that was released about 6-7 years ago, has the video and sound been remastered for the new DVD?
Is it the same cut from the first DVD release?

#2 of 68 OFFLINE   Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted August 14 2005 - 07:50 PM

What we know so far:

Quote:
Universal has also announced The Blues Brothers: 25th Anniversary Edition on 8/30 (SRP $22.98) which will include 2 versions of the film - the director's cut that appeared on the original DVD release and the theatrical cut (released for the first time on DVD). Other extras will include an introduction by Dan Aykroyd, a behind-the-scenes documentary, concert footage and more (much of this will likely be recycled from the previous DVD). This DVD will be available in both full frame and anamorphic widescreen versions.

I've heard elsewhere that the new disc will be on a DVD-18.

So, the reviewers should be receiving their screener copies any day now (if they haven't already), and reviews should start showing up shortly.

#3 of 68 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 05:47 AM

Hopefully the new transfer(?) will have less grain and DNR.

#4 of 68 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 06:51 AM

Quote:
So, the reviewers should be receiving their screener copies any day now (if they haven't already), and reviews should start showing up shortly.

There is a review up on www.dvdmg.com
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#5 of 68 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 08:53 AM

"...How do the picture and sound quality of this 25th Anniversary DVD compare with those of the original 1998 release? To my eyes and ears, they seem identical. I compared the pair and observed no differences in audio or visual quality."

from dvdmg.com review

Posted Image

#6 of 68 OFFLINE   BennyD

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 09:02 AM

Sad to see that reviewer not enjoying the film. My father, brother and I can literally recite the movie verbatim from seeing it literally hundreds of times. Anytime we pass a cop we still have to say "I bet they have S.C.M.O.D.S". It was a staple of my childhood.

#7 of 68 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 09:23 AM

It'll be nice to finally have the vastly superior theatrical cut on DVD.

edit: the trailer IS included, according to that review. Hopefully Universal will stop omitting trailers from their newer DVD's. At least I'll be able to get rid of my old disc. I would have felt sort of stupid holding onto an entire DVD for a trailer but I wouldn't have been able to convince myself to get rid of it.

edit 2: the reviewer said he didn't bother watcing the theatrical cut, which is the main draw of this new edition. Perhaps Universal gave that cut a new transfer. I don't care much for the video quality on the extended edition, the added scenes have always looked noticeably worse than the original scenes anyway.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#8 of 68 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 09:29 AM

damn thats a pass unless dvdbeaver proves otherwise

#9 of 68 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 10:27 AM

The same transfer is probably used but I bet the bitrate is considerably better though. The old release had a low avg of 4.45mb/sec, probably to accommodate the documentary.

#10 of 68 OFFLINE   Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 03:29 PM

Quote:
Anytime we pass a cop we still have to say "I bet they have S.C.M.O.D.S".

"S.C.M.O.D.S.?"

#11 of 68 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted August 15 2005 - 03:41 PM

Quote:
"S.C.M.O.D.S.?"

"State County Municipal Offender Data System"

And you know what? The light really was yellow!
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#12 of 68 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 01:35 PM

Quote:
Sad to see that reviewer not enjoying the film.

I don't think it's SAD I don't like it - that's kind of condescending, like somehow my life is worse because I don't like Blues Brothers. As my review states, I've tried to like it - I've certainly given it many chances to work its magic - but I just don't think there's much entertainment to be found.

Quote:
the reviewer said he didn't bother watcing the theatrical cut, which is the main draw of this new edition.

I would have liked to watch it, but it's one of those "not enough time in the day" things. I chose the extended cut mainly so I could directly compare it to the prior DVD - I figured many would be interested to know if it looked/sounded better. I didn't own the old one and reviewed it a LONG time ago, so I rented it to make the comparisons. Again, I saw/heard no differences. I even detected the same source flaws in the same spots.

And I'd compare bit rates... if I could figure out where the hell I put the thing. I have so many DVDs around the house that I lose track of them easily! I don't know if I'd count on a higher bit rate - the extended version still has the documentary on the same side...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#13 of 68 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 10:18 PM

How can anyone not like The Blues Brothers, the movie?

#14 of 68 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,082 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 16 2005 - 10:53 PM

I don't think it's SAD I don't like it - that's kind of condescending, like somehow my life is worse because I don't like Blues Brothers. As my review states, I've tried to like it - I've certainly given it many chances to work its magic - but I just don't think there's much entertainment to be found.

Well then, according to you, I must be a condescending type of a guy because I do feel some sadness for anybody that didn't enjoy a film I'd liked because I feel in a way they were shortchanged.
How can anyone not like The Blues Brothers, the movie?

Easily because of differences in subjective taste and personal opinion.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 68 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted August 17 2005 - 12:01 AM

Quote:
Easily because of differences in subjective taste and personal opinion.

That's subjective. Posted Image

Anyway, I think I'll stick to my initial DVD. I would like the theatrical version as well, but, as Colin said, it's only dolby 2.0. And this new edition doesn't even have a booklet!

No booklet = No sale!
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#16 of 68 OFFLINE   Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted August 17 2005 - 12:52 AM

Quote:
I just don't think there's much entertainment to be found.
Okay, I'll try my best not to be condescending about this. But it seems ummm...interesting...that you can't find "much entertainment" in the classic performances by Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Cab Calloway, and James Brown.

#17 of 68 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 17 2005 - 01:22 AM

Quote:
No booklet = No sale!

Is that a joke?

I finally got confirmation about live digital screenings on 8/29, complete with John Landis and Dan Aykroyd in attendance. You can read more about it here.

- Steve

#18 of 68 OFFLINE   BennyD

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted August 17 2005 - 02:47 AM

Colin, just somewhat reiterating what Robert said. I didn't mean to be condescending to you, and I apologize if I inadvertently offended you in anyway. The meaning of my comment was more the variety of I find it sad when a film that I hold in rather high esteem fails to connect with viewers (I simply wish upon others the enjoyment I experience ) as opposed to find it sad that you individually didn't enjoy the film. Hopefully no harm done.

#19 of 68 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted August 17 2005 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
edit: the trailer IS included, according to that review. Hopefully Universal will stop omitting trailers from their newer DVD's. At least I'll be able to get rid of my old disc. I would have felt sort of stupid holding onto an entire DVD for a trailer but I wouldn't have been able to convince myself to get rid of it.

Go figure though. This was one of the few instances where they could've dropped the trailer and I still could've sold off the old DVD since my American Pie Unrated CE has the trailer for The Blues Brothers. Losing the booklet will suck though.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#20 of 68 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted August 17 2005 - 04:51 AM

If I hadn't already sold my old copy on eBay a couple months ago I'd probably pass on this new DVD, but since I'm without a copy I'll be forced to pick it up on 8/30.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow