What's new

CD Player Connection question (1 Viewer)

I currently have a home theater in my living room. I am in the process of building another theater/bonus room for my kids.

I would like to connect the cd changer that is in my living room to the receiver in the new bonus room.

I thought of using a y splitter to the cd changer and connecting it to both receivers. Will this work?

will i be able to play a cd and listen to both receivers in both rooms at the same time?

Thank you for the help.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
When you say “splitter” (singular) does that mean you have the CD player connected to the receiver with a digital coaxial cable? If so it’s probably best not to split that. Instead, send the analog L/R connections to the second receiver.

If the analog L/R are what you’re using, there are better ways to accomplish it than using splitters. You can use the record output of any tape or video loop – i.e., the ones that have both in and out connections. The record outputs are always active with the signal from the selected source. So if you send them to the second receiver, it'll play the CD there anytime you play it on the main receiver.

It will also send to the second receiver other sources you're playing in the main room. If you don't want that - i.e., only want the CD in the second room - your best bet is to use the CD player's digital output for the the main receiver and its analog for the second.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne,

I currently have the cd player connected to the receiver in the living room via toslink cable.

I am not sure I follow you with the record out set up.

I don't believe my Yamaha RX-V750 has that option.

Could I still use the toslink for the main receiver and use analog or digital coax for the other receiver? Will I be able to play it simultaneously this way?

Thank you

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Troy,
Yes, the digital and analog connections are both active all the time. Since you’re using the digital (toslink) for the main receiver, you can send the analog to the second receiver. Both will get a signal anytime the CD player is playing.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks