What's new

Jarhead (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Directed by Sam Mendes and starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard, Chris Cooper and Jamie Foxx.

Trailer

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I caught the trailer this morning and it's certainly intriguing. Looks to be a the kind of full 'military experience' as Full Metal Jacket with a bit less brutality of the Vietnam war and more of the bizarre experience of a 90's war.

I have to wonder if, depending on how the film plays out, if it doesn't steal some thunder from Bochco's Over There series. Given that they're different wars, but I think they're supposed to touch on the nature of our modern wars in both.

I'd consider it a ticket sold.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
It looks pretty interesting. The mix of actors seems pretty interesting (Gyllenhaal and Sarsgaard in particular), and it'll be interesting to compare and contrast it with "Three Kings". Speaking of which, this'll be coming out just a few weeks before Clooney's "Syriana", which deals with the intelligence side of both conflicts. Too bad these didn't come out a year earlier or later.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Looks good to me as well. As mentioned, I see some FMJ as well as Three Kings and maybe a dose of Apocalypse Now thrown in for good measure. Cast looks sound, especially Gyllenhal and Cooper (reunited with Mendes).

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I don't know much about the book, but the trailer makes the film look utterly uninteresting to me.

I dunno...another "war is hell" movie with sort of an uninspired, slacker feel to it? "war is boring"? I just don't see apathy and war zones making for good drama.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It's anything, but about an uninspired slacker. The book is about the writer's experiences with his elite sniper unit during the Gulf War.

Trailers have misled viewers more than a few times about films.

Crawdaddy

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Interesting...well, I hope they come up with a new trailer if the film is going to adhere to that.

The slogan for the film is also in the trailer: "Welcome to the suck."

I'd say they're pushing the "boy, is this crappy or what" buttons pretty hard. Of course, it may be me...but, Gyllenhal always has that glazed over look anyhow.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Er, having words with usually negative connotations in the tagline may not be such a good idea. It plays right into the hands of critics who don't favor the film.

For example, Twister's original tagline was, "it sucks"!

Not that I think Jarhead will be bad. Mendes is a critic's baby anyway.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Looks pretty good but could have done without the rap music in the trailer. That's a deterrent right there.

You think people will want to see a War movie considering they can turn on the news and see the same thing?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Looks like another dark comedy/war drama, but looks good nonetheless.

Gyllenhaal plays Anthony Swofford, a former Marine sniper. His book was a 2003 best seller. I think I remember hearing Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire wanting the part.

I actually like the choice of music in the trailer (though I can't remember who sings them:) )

There has been alot of Oscar buzz surrounding it, but controversy as well given current world affairs.

Certainly a cross between Three Kings, Full Metal Jacket, and who knows what.

Still, the cast looks pretty good and Sam Mendes is 2/2 with his last efforts (IMO).

He's also using a rather acclaimed creative team for this one, with composer Thomas Newman, Walter Murch for editor, and Roger Deakins as cinematographer.

Heres a look at the poster artwork:

http://www.cinema.com/gallery/image....336_poster.jpg

Kain_C

Screenwriter
It's Kanye West. I despise rap myself for many reasons, but I thought the music was fitting and appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks