What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Sin City (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those souls brave enough, Sin City is a modern digital masterpiece.

In these final days of the NTSC DVD world, as we attempt to eek out every bit of quality from the format...

and as many fail.

Sin City is a perfect DVD.

Both pictorially and in synchronization with its DTS track, Sin City is a marvel of modern home video technology.

Extremely highly recommended.

RAH

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
Damn! I was going to wait for the special edition. But with a recommendation like that, I don't think I want to wait anymore. I'm sold!!

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I'll think I'll wait till I can pick it up in the 3 for 25 dollar deal at Hollywood video. Mainly cuz of the SE coming down the line.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Not to be challenging or disrespectful at all sir, but DVDfile's review mentioned halos, ringing and softness in fine detail. Did you notice this too? I'm only concerned because Buena/Miramax has a HORRIBLE recent track record for releases with certain titles like "Gangs of NY" being virtually unwatchable at least to me with all the filtering and unnecessary Edge Enhancement.

Thanks! d

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Sounds good, Robert, but I'll still wait for the SE... only a few more months.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Regarding DVDFile...

I can only speak for myself.

Not for others.

Sin City is based upon a digital image.

I viewed the software on a 110" screen via a Runco projector tuned to my specifications.

To my eye, the image was proper...

and technically perfect.

This is neither Gangs of New York nor Cold Mountain.

RAH

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Me too. But I'll probably get it from Netflix also to tide me over.

Joel C

Screenwriter
By now, DVDFile probably mentions halos and ringing for every BV/Miramax DVD just in case some other sites sees them.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Rob.. have you seen other of RR R rated action movies? or even kill bill? sin city is a great film, but not for everyone.

if you like Kill Bill or even pulp fiction.. then you will probably like it.

I would rent first if you are not a fan.

JACOB

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My only qualm with waiting for the Sin City SE is that it could turn out like the Kill Bill SEs. Everyone says it's coming soon and it takes years to actually come out. I don't think that it'll be that long for the Sin City SE but I'd still be kinda surprised if it wasn't bumped into 2006.

Either way, it's probably gonna be $15 for the basic one and I loved the movie so I'm picking up both versions:)

Mark VH

Second Unit
I'm sure the DVD looks terrific, but I only wish the movie were better. In fact, the film's digital source is, for me, its most crippling flaw.

Robert Rodriguez, in his continuing insistence on making movies inside computers rather than on actual sets, has ceased to be a filmmaker and become a video game director. Sin City is all comic book, no movie. It's not an adaptation - it's literally the graphic novel onscreen. And for me, it just didn't work. And don't you dare call it noir.

So, ironically, I find that the thing that makes the DVD so "perfect" is the major factor keeping the film from greatness. I just wish Rodriguez had made a real movie out of it.

Blu

Screenwriter
The point of Sin City and bringing Frank Miller on board as a director was to put the graphic novel on screen.

If Sin City had been shot in a traditional way the whole feel of the graphic novel would have been lost and probably pointless.

I wish more directors would be as respectful with the original subject material as RR was with Sin City.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
don't judge the dvd by dvdfile's remarks...I screened this with Dave Boulet the other day in preparation for his review...I won't steal his thunder but I will say that I disagree with DVDfile...

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I for one will take RH's word over DVDFile.com. It does call into question how much reviewers really know what they're looking at, doesn't it?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
What's pretty funny is that often "halos, ringing and EE" aren't noted in their reviews. I remember the review of "Gangs of N.Y." where the reviewer noticed "no EE and the pic. was quite striking" when that title is one of the worst examples of excessive EE that's ever existed and one of the worst transfers I've EVER seen.

:)

If Dave B. liked it, I'm sure it's golden!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks