What's new

Woman loses weight by only eating at McDonald's (1 Viewer)

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
One of the main points of Supersize Me was how far fast food restaurants go out of their way to shove crap down your throat. Consumers tend to only care about more more more and particularly when financial means are stringent. Why walk away with one Big Mac for $2 and change when they have a special of two Big Macs for $2? "Supersize it? Why not? I'd be a fool not to want an extra gallon of soda for only 10 cents more." The sick fact is that you essentially have to pay more for smaller portions in a majority of restaurants. When I eat at Panda Express you should see the look of confusion when I ask for only a small amount of chow mein. They're trained to pile it on because we've been trained to expect gargantuan portions of everything. I'm actually a big eater...6 foot...215 but enough is too much. They'd rather get take the chance and give you more even if you throw half of it away, than dish out nutritionally reasonable portions and risk losing business because "they don't give you as much anymore."

Absolutely, sensible diet is about choices. Mc D's isn't responsible for making anyone fat. They're ad agencies are just responsible for finding a weakness and exploiting it.

Someone is looking for publicity by taking the same scenario as Supersize Me and flipping it. It still doesn't detract from the eye opening results and the horrendous impact on Morgan Spurlock's health.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Meh, this "news" story is incomplete. They failed to mention her hidden agenda to get rich off McD's by becoming the next Jared.

"Gee, I was only doing this because McDonald's is unable to defend itself." Yeah right.:rolleyes

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it sounds like you havent seen it.

the sad fact is, anyone who is 227 lbs (and overweight for their height) can lose weight by eating at ANY restaurant. the point of super size me was not to attack mcdonalds specifically, only the industry. see the movie first, then make judgments, then throw it in his face if you still feel the need to.

CJ

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Biggest diffrence:

Spurlock: Filmmaker eats everything on menu. Specific mention is made of eating everything on menu

Morgan: Dieter only eats certain menu items. If the improper item (say the afformentioned apple pie) is delivered, she didn't have eat it.

Obviously when allowed to only eat McSide-salads you're going to lose weight. If you must eat the double quarter-pounder you're going to gain weight.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
How to lose weight eating at McDonalds.

Get out a Map.
Find a McDonalds a few miles away from home (or work, or whatever).
Walk there. Eat a light meal.
Walk back.
If you can't make it to McDonalds by walking, refrain from eating.
Repeat as desired.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
We had a teacher here in town that did the same thing for 30 days about 6 months ago. All he ate was McDonald's meals but continued to exercise at least an hour a day. He lost weight and said "See - this whole super size me is a sham".

Of course, he never told us how he actually felt physically and what kind of nutritional shape he was in after a month of eating big mac's.

These people trying to downplay the health/weight effects of fast food are only fooling themselves. Obviously they don't have a clue that here in the west we're actually in a obesity pandemic. And besides, everyone is different. I know a few people from the past that can and do eat nothing but fast food but seem to never gain weight due to their metabolism, but this doesn't apply to most of us. It still doesn't mean their healthy.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yes. As long as that's what you get from the movie. Others like to use it as a way of making it sound like I'm killing myself because I once ate a burger there.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> how far fast food restaurants go out of their way to shove crap down your throat

I've yet to see a restaurant that actually puts the food in your mouth. You have to do that yourself. Nobody has to buy the large size meal, or eat more than they want to.

What you eat is a lot more important than where you eat.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
You can lose weight eating nothing but Jujubes too but that doesn't make it good for you. I think I should write a book. It'll be the next Atkins.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, you can lose weight by eating a lot of stuff, but can you maintain life by eating that stuff? I believe that you can maintain life by eating at McDonalds (while losing weight). I really can't imagine sustaining life with just eating Jujubes.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. Spurlock even makes the point of including Don Gorske in the film, who's eaten 19,000 Big Macs. He's physically active and almost never orders the french fries.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Since I HAVE seen the movie, I'll jump in and defend Mark a bit here. What Spurlock does is reatarded. On at least one occasion (if not more) he eats to the point of vomiting. That is not a normal, rational behavior. Even obese people without a "eating disorder" (some may say someone who is 5'10" 275 HAS an eating disorder, but I'm talking literally) dont eat until the vomit. The point of Super Size me was stupid. I'm at the top end of my ideal weight (i.e. I'm not even in the overweight category much less obese). I bet I could gain weight eating weight watchers and healthy choice if I had an agenda. Spurlock makes totally assinine and unreal decisions in the movie Supersize Me which made it pretty ineffective for me.

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Spurlock ate to the point of vomiting but that was only because he was not used to eating that much. The sad fact is, many people ARE used to eating that much. Heck, in high school I used to eat the exact meal Spurlock ate that made him vomit, and then I'd go up and order a milkshake to top it off. It was just a Double Quarter Pounder w/ cheese, Supersize Fry, and Supersize Coke. In college, that's like a midnight snack for most guys.

As said above, they did make it clear in Super Size Me that if you avoid the fries and the regular soda, it's not all that bad for you.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thank you :)

I guess I should really have clarified that I am more pissed off at my friend than the movie. Others too have jumped on the "you're gonna die if you eat fast food" mentality after seeing this movie.

It infuriates me to have to listen to her talk down to me like I am an idiot. She think this movie is some sort of "Holy Grail" that opened her eyes to fast food. Like she never realized that eating Big Macs, fries and soda every day was bad????? :rolleyes:

I mean, come on! I'm not THAT stupid! Yet she (and others) treat me as such. It's so damn annoying! So any kind of 'knock' against this movie and I'm all gung ho! :D

Example: When my band is finished with a gig (at 2:30am) we are starving and the only thing opened is Dunkin Donuts. We like it because they're basically the only thing opened and it's QUICK. My female friend is in the band as well...Whenever she hears our plans, she gives us this big lecture and brings up this movie. She ridicules me to no end about eating their egg sandwiches and how bad it is for me to do so.

So hopefully you can see why I have such a loathing for this or anything related to it. ;)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I imagine she sings, so I have to give my cardinal rule: Never join a band that has a chick lead singer, unless the band is named after her (in which case you do it for the money) or she also plays bass (the Aimee Mann rule). The above type of behavior is the reason why. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LMAO! Yup, the singer! We talk about that all the time. She even knows it herself. She's always saying how 'bitchy' she is.

p.s. The plus side is that her and her sister sing. It's easy to get a good crowd to stick around when you've got 2 females bouncing around on stage. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks