Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVDs where the pic. looks better in the supplements...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 10 2005 - 12:08 PM

Hey guys, I just got a new Optoma DLP FP after retiring my trusty tweaked Mits. 55" Diamond CRT. Transfer issues are now WAY more apparent the way that Dave Boulet and others with FPs have said. "Imagine these artifacts blown up to 105" etc..." Well I watched "Road to Perdition" last nite and the pic. looked "OK" but then I watched some deleted scenes and shockingly, they looked WAY better. No EE, much, much more fine object detail etc... The way to clearly see this happen is in the deleted scene, "a dance" which is really just a scene extension. Watch carefully for when the scene extends from what was in the film to the deleted extension, right after Hanks says, "You'll never know..." As the scene progresses, the shot stays the same and it goes from an ok looking image to a fantastic looking one. Suddenly the halos are gone, there is more detail and everything looks better. In the same shot!! There is not a cut to a new shot! It's very easy to see this occur. If you have a big enough or decent enough settup, it is quite apparent. If you have the disc try it out. Deleted scene, "a dance" It's a shame that the truly stunning cinematography by Hall can't look as good as it should on this. Another instance of some telecine operator "improving" the pic. by needlessly filtering and electronically "sharpening" a film which didn't need it. What's interesting is that some catalog titles like "Barfly", "Romeo is Bleeding" don't have any of these issues. I guess it's because they are so non high profile that nobody bothered to try and make the image look a bit better for DVD. Get away from those interlaced 27" studio monitors, lads! The latest Buena releases have a horrible rep. in this dept. And Sin City sounds like it might continue this tradition. I've heard of other instances where trailers, deleted scenes looked better than the feature, "Star Wars ep.1" from most accounts has way less EE on the trailer. "Vanilla Sky"'s shots look far more detailed on it's trailer and it's not even anamorphic! Any other discs people can think of....??

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted August 10 2005 - 12:31 PM

Goldfinger is the one that quickly comes to my mind. the clips in the making of doc look prisitine, while the actual film looks grainy and dupey

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted August 10 2005 - 01:24 PM

Phantom Menace?

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 10 2005 - 01:28 PM

I have noticed this too and found it quite weird. Just watched Goldfinger last weekend and thought the same thing. Can't remember all the other titles I've noticed this on, but I'll try to.

And you know I was always reticent to bring this up for fear that I as imagining it!Posted Image

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Shane Roach

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted August 10 2005 - 03:12 PM

"Hero" fits the bill, too. I'd read about it here when the Miramax DVD was released, but my wife noticed it without being told beforehand. So much of the movie's power comes from its mesmerizing visuals that it was disappointing to see a much richer and more detailed picture in the supplements. I'm seriously considering going region-free, whether by buying or modifying, just for this movie.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 10 2005 - 04:49 PM

Shane, the Japanese version of "Hero" is supposed to be MUCH better!
http://www.dvdbeaver...Review/hero.htm
has comparisons.

Posted Image

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted August 11 2005 - 01:20 AM

In Super Size Me, the actual film is non-anamorphic, while the supplements and deleted scenes are anamorphic! Go figure...

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 11 2005 - 11:26 AM

THAT is Bizarre! And unsurprising, frankly.

Posted Image

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted August 12 2005 - 03:41 AM

I recall that the trailer for "The Relic" was much brighter and better looking that the film istelf which was dark and murky.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted August 12 2005 - 03:49 AM

Annie - the movie is widescreen on the featurette
[c][/c]

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 12 2005 - 04:15 AM

Some of the footage of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in the Empire of Dreams doc look much more natural than the color and contrast boosted versions on the discs.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted August 12 2005 - 05:33 AM

American Pie. The supplements are actually correct, the actual DVD has the brightness turned all the way down.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted August 12 2005 - 10:49 AM

Die Hard With a Vengeance: 2 Disc SE. The trailers look fantastic, the movie has the worst transfer I have EVER seen on DVD. Posted Image
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users