Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Other Shoe Drops: Will Blu-Ray be HDMI Only Too?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
127 replies to this topic

#1 of 128 OFFLINE   Pete Lee

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 05:01 AM

Well, not really a surprise since Sony is one of the founding members of the Advanced Access Content System but the Blu-Ray guys announced that they will go with AACS. AACS mandates down-rezing of high-def signals through component inputs. Here's the article with some quotes:

http://www.extremete....1845993,00.asp

I'm opting out of HD video.

#2 of 128 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 09 2005 - 05:12 AM

So how exactly will the PS3 work with some 13 inch TV that a little kid will use to play games on? Correct me if I'm wrong but won't you need an HDMI input on your TV to play it?

#3 of 128 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 06:09 AM

So is the HTF boycott back on?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#4 of 128 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 06:35 AM

Ooooh, the money I will be saving. Posted Image Posted Image

#5 of 128 OFFLINE   Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 06:40 AM

F**k them all, in that case. I'll stick with upconverted 1080i over component. Wow, I just saved a bundle!! Cheers.

DS.

"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"

-The former Gov. Ventura

See It...In StrotoVision!!

#6 of 128 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 06:51 AM

Quote:
So how exactly will the PS3 work with some 13 inch TV that a little kid will use to play games on?
He'll buy an adapter and hook it up via composite like he does now. This affects movies, not games. It would shock me if they would not allow PS3 games to be seen in HD via component. If it's fine now, it will be fine for later. Movies are a different story.

#7 of 128 OFFLINE   Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 07:13 AM

Quote:
So how exactly will the PS3 work with some 13 inch TV that a little kid will use to play games on? Correct me if I'm wrong but won't you need an HDMI input on your TV to play it?

Presuming his 13" TV is capable of 1080i, he will be forced to accept a mere 480p. Hopefully he will not notice.

(actually, most likely the Blu-ray drives will have composite and/or S-Video outs as well as component and HDMI)

#8 of 128 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 07:41 AM

wow, a kick in the teeth of early adopters...

nice...
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#9 of 128 OFFLINE   Mick Wright

Mick Wright

Second Unit

• 351 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 08:22 AM

I wonder how long it will be until cable and sat boxes are setup to down-rez HD over component connections. It has to be coming.
"What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes."

#10 of 128 OFFLINE   Pete Lee

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 08:34 AM

Quote:

No, I'm sure games discs will be granted permission under the AACS to pass through component inputs without downrezing. After all, the threat of the so-called analog hole is not the same for games as it is for movies; you're not going to "copy" a game by capturing the signal as it passes through the component input. So your PS3 games will play in 720p or 1080i/p in all their glory over components. Incidentally, XBox 360 games will also be HD through components.

It's too bad, I was looking forward to HD but there's no way I'm going to replace my TV AND my computer monitor to get it.

#11 of 128 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 08:45 AM

What, you were surprised? The winner of the format war is going to be the one that makes the studios the happiest. Why do you think Fox jumped on board?

Quote:
C'mon people, don't make senseless arguments like this. Someone who's playing on the 13"-20" TV isn't buying a next-gen system for image quality or a HD media player. It's not as if they're going to make the PS3 (which doesn't even have final specs yet) HDMI-only.

Quote:
I'm opting out of HD video.
Well, if you and everyone else does it, hoepfully the studios will get the message. Thanks to our adamantly and stubbornly uneducated consumer culture, I wouldn't count on it
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#12 of 128 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 09:19 AM

Okay, that pretty much sets the stage for a full out boycott of HD. There is no way I am investing in any format that won't play on the high priced set I own, and I can only hope that the consumer backlash severely hurts these companies' bottom line. This is complete and utter bullshit. Posted Image

#13 of 128 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 09:33 AM

I'm stunned by this. Here is a technology that probably most J6P's will be slow to adopt anyway, and now they've made it even less attractive to them by requiring a HDMI connection to view the disks at 1080. WTF?

"Gee honey, should we buy this $20 DVD player or get this $200 Blu Ray player that'll wind up looking the same anyway?"

Am I understanding this right?

#14 of 128 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 09:38 AM

If you've been paying attention, there are currently devices that will enable you to play HDCP encrypted bitstreams on non-HDCP compliant displays (including CRTs), although whether these devices will still work when HD discs are finally released is undetermined (little something called key revocation might screw things up) and there will be more devices in the future. Plus, there's always the Chinese ....

This shouldn't be a surprise; we've known that the analog outputs would be downrezzed to SD in the presence of an HDCP encrypted bitstream for quite a while. If they weren't, what would be the point of HDCP?
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#15 of 128 OFFLINE   John Goodwin

John Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 11:02 AM

What does this key revocation mean for multi region capability?

#16 of 128 OFFLINE   Pete Lee

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 11:14 AM

Quote:
Well, if you and everyone else does it, hoepfully the studios will get the message. Thanks to our adamantly and stubbornly uneducated consumer culture, I wouldn't count on it

I think you're far too pessimistic. The systems are so user un-friendly that people will simply not bother and stick with DVDs. I believe this will be DVD Audio/SACD/CD all over. The mass market will judge DVDs good enough and the studios will be forced to capitulate because they need HD video to take off to compensate for their stagnating DVD revenue. Ultimately, the market will force a retreat from their copyright extremism. It's just going to take some time. I'm willing to wait it out and do nothing to help the studios.

#17 of 128 OFFLINE   Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 11:34 AM

Quote:
If you've been paying attention, there are currently devices that will enable you to play HDCP encrypted bitstreams on non-HDCP compliant displays (including CRTs), although whether these devices will still work when HD discs are finally released is undetermined (little something called key revocation might screw things up)

Where? Dtrovision boxes, which have been hailed here as the thing to have in order to do this, are billed as "HDCP compliant"... which means that while it will pass a 1080i signal out its component end, it won't do so in the presence of a protected/encypted signal.

I know. I checked with the licensing body.

China is a legitimate (some might say illegitimate Posted Image ) possibility, though. At least until the keys used there are revoked.

#18 of 128 OFFLINE   Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 11:39 AM

I am OK with this as long as I don't have to plug the machine into the telephone jack. And NO, it has not been decided if that is truely the case as of yet.

#19 of 128 OFFLINE   Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 11:42 AM

I'm with Tony. If this has to be hooked into a telephone or ethernet jack, it's a no-sale.

Otherwise (for me), I view the likelihood of something annoying occuring to disrupt the HD goodness as small compared to the enjoyment I will get out of prerecorded HD content.

#20 of 128 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 11:57 AM

Quote:
"Gee honey, should we buy this $20 DVD player or get this $200 Blu Ray player that'll wind up looking the same anyway?"

"well when you put it that way Hon i guess it doesn't matter. but , on the other hand, if we do get the Blu ray player, then we will be able to play HD discs 10 or 15 years from now, when we're ready. it would be much better not to have to buy another player in ten years when we upgrade out tv"

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow