Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TITANIC DVD Cover art- request a change here!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#1 of 93 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 07:07 PM

I am following the suggestion provided to me by Bill Hunt, editor of The Digital Bits, and starting this new thread, exclusively for sending complaints and simple requests for a change in the recently revised cover art for "Titanic: 3- disc Special Collector's Edition" DVD.

This is in response to Paramount adding a very out-of-place image of director James Cameron on the once elegant cover art.

Mr. Hunt said that he could send the thread link to Paramount so they could read the comments, and hopefully comply with a change, or a simple reversion to the previous design.

The more you write about how important this is to all of you fans of this great film, the better our chances the studio might listen to our admittedly simple plea.

#2 of 93 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,499 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 07:31 PM

I would bet the chances of having the artwork changed back to the Cameron-less original version are slim to none. James Cameron is probably the one who insisted on the revision to include his image. His ego is legendary in Hollywood.

#3 of 93 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 07:32 PM

show us the cover art.
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#4 of 93 OFFLINE   Fabien Renelli

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 08:09 PM

The new cover art is really ugly. I mean, is it a joke ? I can do better with my own Photoshop !!!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

#5 of 93 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 08:35 PM

The cover art is fine because it's derived from the international poster. It's just the picture of Cameron directing Winslet and Leo is more of a picture reserved for a behind the scenes section.

#6 of 93 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 08:40 PM

Yup, the addition of the "Behind the Scenes" picture messes up a previously classy cover. I'd certainly appreciate a revision.

Chris

#7 of 93 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted August 09 2005 - 12:20 AM

Normally, I stay out of "give us" threads, but this is important. I love Jim Cameron and his films, and I appreciate the support studios give him. That said I love movies more, and his Titanic most of all. Please reconsider this cover, which lays bare the fact that this is just a movie, as opposed to a story. It makes the magical clinical, and there is no need for that on the packaging. Yes, I'll watch the extras, yes, this is a great picture for the back cover, and yes, I'll buy it anyway.

But respect the magic of motion pictures.

No directors on covers,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#8 of 93 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 01:12 AM

Put JIM on the back of the cover, not the front, please!!!!!!!!!!

#9 of 93 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 01:50 AM

Yes, please revert back to the original version. The signature can remain, but the photo must go, and also everyone seems to miss the fact that the title of the film has been lower to the middle from the top, and this makes it look very poor design-wise.

#10 of 93 OFFLINE   ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 02:10 AM

Please go back to the original cover art. It was simple and elegant and reflected the grand scope of the film. The revised art looks a disjointed with the addition of the awkwardly placed Cameron pic on the cover. The original cover art was excellent. The modified design reduces the size of the ship to facilitate the picture of Cameron and oddly places the title of the film in the middle of the cover. Please reconsider the decision to modify the art.

FYI, for those who are interested:

Original Cover Art Posted Image

Posted Image

New Cover Art: Posted Image
Posted Image
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#11 of 93 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 09 2005 - 02:19 AM

Quote:
James Cameron is probably the one who insisted on the revision to include his image. His ego is legendary in Hollywood.

If that were the case then he'd probably be on the R2 set as well. Plus, he's not on the cover of any other of his movies.

#12 of 93 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 02:19 AM

I couldn't agree more. Keep the signature, but please restore the artwork to the earlier, less cluttered and out-of-place artwork.

Also - is it just me, or is that "3-disc set" graphic really old fasnioned? I think we all know what 3 discs look like!

#13 of 93 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 02:40 AM

That's Cameron all right: "I'm bigger than the ship!"

#14 of 93 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 02:45 AM

April fools is still April 1st, isn't it? I bursted out in laughter seeing that artwork! This is 10 times worse than the Kevin Smith picture on the Jersey Girl artwork.
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#15 of 93 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 03:25 AM

I like Cameron as a filmmaker. REALLY like him.

I DO NOT want him on the front cover.

Backside or Disc 3 artwork only, please.

#16 of 93 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
April fools is still April 1st, isn't it? I bursted out in laughter seeing that artwork!

Yeah it's so obviously positioned to look like he's trying to reach the Oscar...

#17 of 93 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 04:00 AM

I have to agree. Lose the Cameron picture.
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#18 of 93 OFFLINE   JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 04:21 AM

Whats the purpose of showing the two main actors TWICE in the cover art, along with Cameron who is not an actor but a film maker? Not only did they ruin what was otherwise a very classy cover art, they make it seem more like its a pure marketing ploy. I thought Cameron was better than this, given that he has devoted quite a bit of time to releasing this SE. There is still some time though but not much to change it.
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#19 of 93 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 04:38 AM

Here I quickly made my own version, using the main element of the original, and some elements of the revised (upper banner, signature).

Posted Image

#20 of 93 OFFLINE   Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted August 09 2005 - 04:44 AM

I have to add my .02¢ worth and say that the new art is a disaster in itself. Isn't the movie "Titanic" not "Cameron"??? Why isn't the ship a focal point any longer? I am hoping this is a hoax!

Have you also noticed the spine is different between the old and new art and look at the numbering. doesn't the old say 03136 and the new 03135 ?

Forum Nav Content I Follow