Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have any ideas on good/long range two way radios?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Jonathon Tillman

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 04:40 AM

Ok, I have just began my research in finding a suitable two way radio for use on a ATV trail that has no cell phone signal. I have no idea what mile range is good enough, I guess the more the better. I live in PA and we travel to the Poconos to go on the ATV trails provided by Delaware state forest.
The trails are maybe a mile at the most but I am afraid we will be getting into further distance trails and I would like communication being the phones don't work.
I mean god forbid one of us gets hurt or are in trouble etc.
We have one ATV and the rider is alone riding, we have to have some form of contact.
Ok, so I have been looking at the Garmen rhino, Motorola Talkabouts and Cobra radios but I am finding the reviews of the range as being undershot. Both the Garmen and Motorola have radios with max range of 5 miles and with a Cobra with a max of 7 miles. Seven miles sounds nice and I can get it for $50 off the web, but is it really 7 miles and is it worth it?
Reviewers complain about the wattage that a 2 watt sounds like a half watt. Does the Government restrict the wattage?
I am looking for something under $100 that you could recommend. I have also looked at the VHF radios that are $300+. Please help.

Jonathon

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 06:11 AM

Post deleted by author.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,673 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted August 08 2005 - 12:19 PM

If you are not looking at constant use (year round, etc), you might consider renting a satellite phone if weight is not am issue. Globalstar and Irdium are basically the two major players in the NA market. Iridium is worldwide whereas Globalstar is mostly contintental US and the carribian. Iridium is of course more costly, I rented a Kyocera phone on the Iridium network of satellites for a recent backcountry trip to Wrangell St. Elias for $80 for two weeks. A globalstar phone is considerably cheaper for what you would need in PA. So, if this is just a one week fling, you might consider renting a satellite phone if you do have a landline in your cabin/house in PA..

just a thought anyway.

As far as two way radios go:

http://www.rei.com/o....ory_rn=4500616

Have never used that one but they are generally line of sight but do claim a 7 mile radius though I would think that would be only under ideal conditions.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   twowaydirect

twowaydirect

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 07:02 AM

We sell a great two-way radio that is 4-watts of power and it's very inexpensive! Feel free to call the office anytime for special pricing 888-742-5894 and ask for Brandon.

Two Way Direct - Two Way Handheld Radios - San Diego, CA