Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Orchestra Wives

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnOPR

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted August 05 2005 - 06:44 PM

I noticed on another thread (not the primary topic of that thread) that "Orchestra Wives" will be released on 1 November 05. This was a great movie from 1942, starring George Montomery, Ann Rutherford....and the FANTASTIC Glenn Miller band (including Glenn Miller himself, playing a character named Gene Morrison). The movie features Cesar Romero, dancing by the Nicholas Brothers, and some great Glenn Miller favorites: "Serenade in Blue," "At Last," and the 1942 Oscar nomination for Best Song "I've Got a Girl in Kalamazoo." If you're a Miller fan, you'll love this movie. As someone said in that other thread, hopefully "Sun Valley Serenade" (made in 1941) will soon be released, too. Great renditions of "Chattanooga Choo Choo,", "I Know Why," and "In The Mood" in that one. The musical numbers in both are top notch. I hope that some of the old 40's movies featuring the Harry Jammes band will be out one of these days, too. As far as I know, "Private Buckaroos" is the only DVD currently available that features his group (along with the Andrews Sisters). Not a great plot, but the music is super.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnOPR

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted August 05 2005 - 06:47 PM

Sorry for that incorrect spelling of Harry JAMES. Was typing too quickly and didn't proof read. Forgive me, Harry...wherever you are.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 06:35 AM

Wow, thanks for the bulletin, John! My dad got me hooked on Glenn Miller, and for that reason alone I will be checking this movie out. From your description, however, it sounds like the rest of the movie is not to be missed, either.
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 09:58 AM

I and Bart pearce remixed the songs for true stereo for the laserdisc version and I wonder if that wioll be used on the dvd. the specs say mono and stereo, but if this is a studio classic, it could be just one of those mono spread things. BTW - the song is I've got a GAL (not girl) in Kalamazoo.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnOPR

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 04:23 PM

Joe, you're right. It is "gal,", not "girl." I doubt that Tex Beneke ever made that mistake.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Dave Jessup

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 03:02 AM

What an eye-opening, pleasant thread to see. This is one of a few swing-era movies I must have on disc. Now looking forward to 1 November and a reasonably-permanent-format presentation of Glenn and the boys (including Jackie Gleason and Cesar Romero)... and the Wives.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users