Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Carpet dyeing: scam?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   David Nguyen

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted August 05 2005 - 11:34 AM

Ever since I moved into my money pit last year, I've been dying to change the ugly medium blue carpet, especially since it clashes with well, pretty much everything.

Then today while surfing the net, I came across a few sites that talk about dyeing your carpet and being able to change the color for a fraction of the costs associated with an actual carpet change. Color Your Carpet

Has anybody tried this?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 01:02 AM

So, I don't know how big your house or carpeted area is, but I use a carpet wholesaler (you have to hunt around, put up with the used-car-sales types in the discount carpet biz to find the real deal), and if "dyeing" is half the cost then you could dye your carpet for under $500. I doubt this. I'd recommend that you find a reputable carpet dealer, preferably a wholesaler, and just spring for new carpet. I pay between $1000-$2000 to carpet a whole house with mid-grade, durable carpet. And that's not a bad deal. Even heavily trafficked carpet lasts upwards of 5 years. MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 02:51 PM

Only natural fibers can be dyed as synthetics will not absorb any dye. So unless you have wool carpet, it is a scam. Or at least a really bad idea. jeremy

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   David Nguyen

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 03:54 AM

Great; thanks for the advice guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users