Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sound of Music 40th, Oklahoma 50th, State Fair 60th and Two for the Road in November

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
279 replies to this topic

#41 of 280 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,968 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 05:04 PM

I have the 2000 Five-Star version of Sound Of Music and I'm pretty satisfied with it, is this new version going to be better or something?

It had better be better! Viewing the Five-Star on a 46" set in anamorphic is a hellish experience. I feel confident this will be a brand new transfer that will correct the problems cited in earlier threads. Hope they port over all the extras, too.

#42 of 280 MattMC

MattMC

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 05:13 PM

I just hope that they transfer most of the extras (if not all and more) from the 5 star TSOM to this new edition. I agree that the picture quality on the 5 star disc was bad but I liked the extras that Fox included on the discs.

#43 of 280 AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 02:01 AM

So, Joe,
When did you hear "FLOWER DRUM SONG" might be coming to DVD, along with "STATE FAIR"-1962. I would much rather have the ANN-MARGARET and Bobby Darrin version, than the original, again that has has been released numerous times on DVD !!!!!

#44 of 280 Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 02:21 AM

Quote:
HOW MANY EDITIONS CAN YOU BUY OF ONE FILM.
I AM SO TIRED FIRST BUYING THEM ON VIDEO, THE LASER DISC, THEN THE DVD, THEN THE REMASTERED DVD, THEN THE ULITMATE EDITION DVD, AND ON AND ON AND ON.
With any luck you'll need to buy an HD version in a few years as well.

#45 of 280 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,002 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 02:25 AM

Quote:
So, Joe,
When did you hear "FLOWER DRUM SONG" might be coming to DVD

I heard it recently. But if you mean when did I hear the DVD might be out, all I heard was "soon."

I'd guess next year should be the year.

#46 of 280 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 04:23 AM

So was the transfer on the 5-star version of TSOM the same as the transfer that came out on the later two-disc edition (the one that came in the white digipak and had the numbered spine)?

#47 of 280 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,094 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 07 2005 - 05:51 AM

Quote:
So was the transfer on the 5-star version of TSOM the same as the transfer that came out on the later two-disc edition (the one that came in the white digipak and had the numbered spine)?

Yes. When Fox abandoned the 5-Star line, they redid a few of the titles as the 2-Disc digipaks, but the content, including transfers, was the same.

#48 of 280 Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 292 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted August 07 2005 - 07:42 AM

I am a rabid fan of State Fair and I thought I would list what I would expect from a "Special Edition" DVD of the film-none of which is beyond the pale-(almost)all have previously appeared in a digital media:
"That's For Me" alternate version with Dick Haymes in the shower (on the previous DVD)
"It Might As Well Be Spring" alternate costume version with Jeanne Crain (mentioned earlier in this thread)
"We Will Be Together" (song by Dick Haymes and Vivian Blaine) at least the audio outtake-I don't know if it was actually filmed but the audio version should be included. It was on the cassette included on the 1992 VHS release.
As for the 60's version: Ann-Margret's personality test ("Mack the Knife") and State Fair specific screen tests ("It Might As Well Be Spring" both already on the Hollywood Screen Tests DVD)
Other screen tests for the 1962 version-Andy Williams, Barbara Eden, etc (The Sound of Movies DVD)
Anything less is really not that "special."
I hope Fox sees this and takes note-any "old movie" fan can tell you how the studios "don't know what they've got," "weren't aware" blah, blah, blah. Fox, in particular, hasn't done a decent job regarding extras.
Get this one right Fox.

#49 of 280 felipenor

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 09:33 AM

The sound of music:

Disc One:

- Special anniversary introduction by Julie Andrews
- Commentary by Robert Wise (from the original laserdisc)
- Commentary by Andrews and co-star Christopher Plummer
- Sing-along subtitles in English, French and Spanish

Disc Two:

- "My Favorite Things: Julie Andrews Remembers": Julie Andrews recalls the von Trapp family; she is joined by Christopher Plummer, Johannes von Trapp, Charmian Carr and film director Robert Wise

- "Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer: A Reminiscence": The two stars sit down for an intimate fireside chat

- "On Location with The Sound of Music": Charmian Carr takes viewers on a trip to Salzburg, Austria, one of the locales made famous in the film

- "From Liesl to Gretl: A 40th Anniversary Reunion": All seven of the actors who played the von Trapp children reunite in this touching "family reunion"

- "When You Know the Notes to Sing": Highlights from Sing-a-Long-Sound of Music at the Hollywood Bowl

- "The von Trapp Family: Harmony & Discord": the 1998 A&E Biography tells the true story of the von Trapp family

- Storyboard gallery
- Behind-the-scenes photos
- Lobby cards and one-sheets and trailers and TV spots

#50 of 280 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,181 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 09:38 AM

Looks like we're missing out on the documentary "The Sound of Music: From Fact to Phenomenon." What a shame, this was a great one. I guess I'll just have to hold on to my previous disc.

Andy

#51 of 280 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,094 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 07 2005 - 10:58 AM

Disappointing about the doc. It was great. Oh well, what's one more extra disc to hang on to!

#52 of 280 HaigH

HaigH

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 12:39 PM

I would only pick up the Sound of Music if it had all the extras from the previosu five star version AND if it had a new HD mastered transfer.

But if that's not the case, the once a year showing on ABC HD is sufficient to hold me over until the probable 45th anniversary Blu-ray/HD-DVD release.

#53 of 280 Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit

• 373 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 01:16 PM

But will The Sound of Music have a new improved transfer?

#54 of 280 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 02:18 PM

I have the 5-star Sound of Music. Trying to figure out what the new one has the offer.

I love that movie, and the 5-star is one of my prized DVD's since it let me know all the things I'd been wondering about since I was a kid and first saw it. Things like who the real people were, and what happened to them after they went over the mountains at the end. And it never occurred to me the songs we hear in the movie were not the songs they sang, but of course it made sense once I thought about it.

It is hard for me to imagine a better disc.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#55 of 280 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,008 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 07 2005 - 02:30 PM

We also lose the isolated music score. Posted Image

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#56 of 280 Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 853 posts

Posted August 07 2005 - 11:02 PM

That is definitely an intriguing list of extras for TSOM, but this thing must have a new transfer before I'll double dip. No new transfer correcting the EE = No sale.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#57 of 280 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,129 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 07 2005 - 11:40 PM

But will The Sound of Music have a new improved transfer?

Yes, Fox noted the problems with the last dvd's presentation.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#58 of 280 RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 03:45 AM

The Sound of Music, well, I am definately keeping the 5 star collection, until I know everything is on the new disc set, which I don't think it is. Personally, they should have had a 3 disc special edition with the older features too, and DTS, that would have enticed more people to replace their discs, very dumb move. Looks like a remastered picture for sure, which I have read in 6 sources so far. Someone posted about a 4 disc edition in a different region, does anyone know any more about this?

Here's the story from the Business Wire, which makes announcements for the studios on the bigger classics:

http://home.business....89&newsLang=en

Classics on Blu-ray is what it is all about!

#59 of 280 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,181 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 04:18 AM

The new disc also doesn't seem to include the, "Original 1965 Documentary Salzburg Sight and Sound". This clearly isn't the definitive release that the Business Wire press release indicates.

#60 of 280 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted August 08 2005 - 06:34 AM

I think the dvd DOES include Salzburg sight and sound - retitles sound of music on location.

Forum Nav Content I Follow