-

Photo

Sound of Music 40th, Oklahoma 50th, State Fair 60th and Two for the Road in November

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
279 replies to this topic

#21 of 280 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,416 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 05 2005 - 06:17 AM

Quote:
Guo, you'll need to get The Nun's Story, coming out in November, I believe.
Quote:
I think this will complete my collection of the Hepburn films I like.
Just kidding. I forgot about that one. I admit I haven't seen all of War and Peace. I'll have to revisit that one, even though I've heard it's mediocre at best. Green Mansions might be worth it just for eye candy. Paris When It Sizzles is not. If I ever find it for like a buck, maybe I'll buy it.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#22 of 280 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,235 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 05 2005 - 08:29 AM

Quote:
Paris When It Sizzles is not. If I ever find it for like a buck, maybe I'll buy it.

They'd have to pay me much more than a buck to take that film. (Shudder) Posted Image

#23 of 280 DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted August 05 2005 - 08:34 AM

I hope that SOMEBODY puts a little extra feature on Oklahoma!, a side-by-side comparison (or top and bottom in this case) of some musical numbers, which were filmed using the same pre-recorded track.

#24 of 280 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted August 05 2005 - 09:28 AM

There is one variation in the prerecords. Parts of the opening Pas de deux in the dream ballet are noticeably faster in the Todd AO version than in the Scope version.

#25 of 280 Daryl L

Daryl L

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted August 05 2005 - 10:37 AM

I myself prefer the Jeanne Crain/Dana Andrews version of State Fair, followed closely by the Janet Gaynor version (I've just always been a big Jeanne Crain fan). As much as I love Ann Margret, her version comes in third.

Love Shirley Jones too, so Oklahoma is a purchase.
Daryl L 
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
15" LED Glossy Widescreen
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB GDDR3 Vram

#26 of 280 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted August 05 2005 - 11:19 AM

I can't believe we have yet another version of The Sound of Music on the way. How many does make? I think that will be at least the third edition alone to feature 2 discs. Glad I don't own it yet, because I'll be buying it. That makes like the 6th or 7th multi-disc re-release of a Best Picture this year!

I am a little disappointed that they're not going more all-out for this one and not including 3+ discs like so many other BP winners (Ben-Hur, Chicago, Gladiator, Titanic, etc.) are getting this year. I mean, they've done the two-disc thing before. I hope it includes all the past content and adds something though. I don't want to have to own two editions of it to get all the content.

I'm also intrigued by 2-disc SEs of State Fair and Oklahoma! They would be blind buys for me.

#27 of 280 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted August 05 2005 - 01:50 PM

It might not make sense musically-wise, but it does as far as film quality. The 1962 film is not a good film.

I like the 1962 version (for Ann-Margret alone) is it really that bad a film?

#28 of 280 Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 298 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted August 06 2005 - 12:41 AM

From Amazon, regarding the SE of State Fair:

Format: Dubbed, Full Screen, Special Edition, Widescreen

Hope it's true.

#29 of 280 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 12:50 AM

The Barnes and Noble website says the same thing about state Fair - Full screen and Widescreen. can't wait to see the specs and the covers.

#30 of 280 William Miller

William Miller

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 12:55 AM

From Movies Unlimited:

State Fair (1945)/State Fair (1962)

Now Accepting Advance Orders!

The only Rodgers and Hammerstein score written expressly for the screen is available in two different film versions. The 1945 adaptation is a lavish musical rendering of the beloved tale of the Frake family's adventures during their annual trip to the Iowa fair. Stars Jeanne Crain, Dana Andrews, Vivian Blaine, Dick Haymes, and Charles Winninger. Songs include "Isn't It Kinda Fun!," "All I Owe Iowa" and the Oscar-winning "It Might as Well Be Spring." The 1962 version is a classic slice of Americana that moves the fair to Dallas, Texas, and includes five extra songs written by composer Richard Rodgers. Pat Boone, Ann-Margret, Bobby Darin, Tom Ewell, and Alice Faye (after a 16-year screen absence) star. Standard/Widescreen; Soundtracks: English, Spanish; featurette; TV pilot; audio commentary; trailers. Two-disc set.

YAY!!!!!!

#31 of 280 Porter Faulkner

Porter Faulkner

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 01:34 AM

Quote:
I like the 1962 version (for Ann-Margret alone) is it really that bad a film?

No Greg,it's just one persons opinion.There are hordes of bad films and most of them are available on DVD, but this isnt one of them.

Of course it isn't that bad, but it does have weak direction. In a more capable directors hands it could have been so much better. There are many people on this site who have VERY fond memories of the 1962 "State Fair" and are delighted it is finally being released. It has long been neglected and changes hands for $30-$50 when the old VHS tapes come up for sale on Ebay. Wisely Fox know this and have finally succumbed to requests to put it out on DVD.

Let's hope they do a fine transfer in multi-channel stereo, it also has that glossy CinemaScope look to it that I personally love. Plus Ann-Margret is at the peak of her powers. Thanks in advance Fox!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#32 of 280 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 05:04 AM

Great news!!! The 62 version is a guilty pleasure of mine.
Ken

#33 of 280 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 05:37 AM

I have the 2000 Five-Star version of Sound Of Music and I'm pretty satisfied with it, is this new version going to be better or something?

#34 of 280 Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 09:50 AM

The video transfer on the "5-star" Sound of Music DVD suffers from edge-enhancement issues and other problems. As I recall there was some fairly significant gnashing of teeth in this very forum back in 2000 when the disc was released.

#35 of 280 AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 10:08 AM

Who cares all I want is "FLOWER DRUM SONG".
HOW MANY EDITIONS CAN YOU BUY OF ONE FILM.
I AM SO TIRED FIRST BUYING THEM ON VIDEO, THE LASER DISC, THEN THE DVD, THEN THE REMASTERED DVD, THEN THE ULITMATE EDITION DVD, AND ON AND ON AND ON.

#36 of 280 felipenor

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 10:25 AM

Fox announced a 4-disc SE of The sound of music for Brazil. Will this edition be released in the US?

#37 of 280 Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 10:59 AM

Quote:
I AM SO TIRED FIRST BUYING THEM ON VIDEO, THE LASER DISC, THEN THE DVD, THEN THE REMASTERED DVD, THEN THE ULITMATE EDITION DVD, AND ON AND ON AND ON.

I know exactly how you feel. I must be on my 4th or 5th version of Mary Poppins. That's the cross one has to bear for being a classic video geek.

#38 of 280 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,466 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 06 2005 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
HOW MANY EDITIONS CAN YOU BUY OF ONE FILM.

I totally agree with you. They should have used the remastered and restored version in 16x9 when it was first released on laserdisc in 1991...

Posted Image

#39 of 280 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,016 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 12:25 PM

Quote:

Me, too -- and I have it from a very good source that it's going to happen, and soon.

Since this same source said the 1962 STATE FAIR was in the works, I have every reason to believe him.

Quote:
Let's hope they do a fine transfer in multi-channel stereo

I hope so, too ... but there might be trouble here.

Varese Sarabande released the soundtrack on CD a few years ago, and they said the original stereo tracks were so badly damaged, they couldn't even put all the songs on the CD -- including "It's a Grand Night for Singing," one of the biggest hits.

#40 of 280 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 01:17 PM

Oh dear, You're crossing wires here regarding vareseSarabande.
original stereo tracks for them meant the stereo MUSIC masters, not the mixed stereo track for the film. THAT has been used for a couple of pan and scan master and a semi letterboxed on on FXM, so it very much exists.
Note - the 1962 Stae Fair has exit music which was used only some of the prerecorded VHS copies.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow