What's new

Complete Series sets gaining popularity (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
It seems as if sets consisting of complete series are gaining popularity. A couple are being released in time for this Christmas:

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Friends
- Sex and the City

What do you all think of this? Do you think that this is going to be a growing trend?

Andy

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I think it'll be a growing trend...after you get all the sets out on the market, release them all together. Plus, they make nice gifts!

I like how the box for Friends is gonna be made available to those who already own the sets...but I may just have to sell off my Buffy and get the extra stuff that's gonna be with the mega-set.

John*D

Second Unit
I would appreciate the ability to get the containers from the Studios similar to what NEW LINE did with LOTR...

I just got a container for the Highlander sets from highlander-official.com for only $1.

I hope WB and FOX offer some ability to get the boxes for FRIENDS and BUFFY if we already have the sets!!!

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a bad idea, technically. When you're dealing with 30 or 40 discs there's bound to be at least one defective disc in most sets. How many people are going to watch all 7 seasons of "Buffy" to make sure they don't have a bad disc before the 30-day return period elapses? That's hard enough to do with a single season. Take "X-Files" for example. Over the course of 9 seasons and 59 discs I encountered 3 defective discs: 2 had authoring defects and one came off the hub in the package and got scratched.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
If it saves money, great. My wife bought me the entire Star Trek the Next Generation for half off. I haven't found any defects.

But at this size they'll never replace season sets.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind if they are doing this after the fact, and as long as they make all the season sets available individually.

Getting some of the boxes would be cool, but I'm the type that I couldn't wait for all 10 seasons of Friends to come out and then pick up the whole series in 1 shot...I'm content to buy them a season at a time. Why wait until the next calendar year for the 11 season Frasier box set when I can get a majority of it right now...I mean what if that 11 season set doesn't come, then you've got to go back and track down the prior releases.

So for some this is a great thing, and I would probably give these as gifts, but probably wouldn't do it for myself with a couple of acceptions.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, the Friends and Buffy sets are good ideas. They're (relatively) inexpensive enough that you can sell off your existing sets and be able to get it without breaking the bank.

However, the Sex And The City set is cracked out. You can get all 7 sets from Target for $29.99 a piece. That comes to $209.93 before tax... HBO has given a $299.99 list for the set. Even if one tries to sell off their S&TC sets, so the special packaging and bonus disc is worth $90.06 according to HBO. Even if you find the thing on sale, it's more than likely going to cost more than if you bought all of the seperate sets. 94 episodes of S&TC is too much for $300 when you can get them for little over $200 (and let's not even get into used places where you can find them even cheaper). You'll be able to get 230+ episodes of Friends for the SAME PRICE. Granted, I think S&TC was a better show than Friends, but for those who were Friends-heads, there are a lot more episodes to go around. For $100 less, you'll be able to purchase 144 episodes of Buffy. This is just a sick joke and HBO needs to get a grip.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

The actual price you pay for Sex and the City's complete set should be considerably less than $300. By how much, I don't know, but I'd guess that it might end up costing between $210 and $240 at Amazon.com (20-30% off list price).

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

yes, but $210-240 is still a little more than actually purchasing the sets seperately. Whereas the Buffy set you're basically getting 7 seasons for the price of 3 1/2. HBO should've tried to have the price a little bit lower so those of us who already have the series on DVD might be willing to sell off our sets and get the new one because it's a good price, it's not... I'm keeping my existing sets. Yet I am contemplating getting rid of my Buffy sets for the mega set.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
For those who haven't purchased any of the sets, though, such as myself, there's going to be no real difference in price between the two options for Sex and the City.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

well, the fault lies with HBO. They never once dropped hints when season 1 came out FIVE YEARS AGO that "you might be smart to hold out until we do a super box set". Twentieth Century Fox is a bit smarter with the assumption that a great number of people who'd want to own Buffy The Vampire Slayer on DVD, so they're offering the complete series set at a price that people who ALREADY HAVE them won't feel like they're being ripped off. HBO released the first season of Sex five years ago, it's one of the top selling TV-DVD sets of all time, HBO is insane for charging $300 for a show that's been offered for 5 years now. I think it's going to flop because the majority of S&TC fans I know aren't willing to repurchase the whole thing for just one disc, since it's not like we'll get more than $10-20 per season if we sold em

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love buy the sets season-by-season, but it's also nice to be able to buy the entire set for a discounted price. Like someone mentioned above, I'd wish for a box to be available to those who already own the sets, as well as any extra "specials" they put in the big sets...even at a reasonable cost.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis

Replace "all" by "almost all" and I completly agree !
Band of Brothers and From the Earth to the Moon sold at the right price (of course the lower, the better). Maybe because they are mini-series and not multi-season series, I'm ready to pay more than for a "regular" series...

€70 ($84, price in R2 France/Belgium) for a 13 episodes season of The Sopranos is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive. No matter how good the show is...

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
HBO also had Everybody Loves Raymond at a reasonable price, given the number of episodes per season in comparison to Sex and the City, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I like that this choice is available.

At this point though, I don't think I'd take advantage of it for series that lasted many seasons for the same concerns stated earlier by Bill GrandPre and based on my similar past experiences with faulty single season multi-disc sets.

The only one that I might pursue, if the price is right, is the relatively small Star Trek: Original Series package.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott

That was simply a packaging of all seven season 7 sets in one SKU. That's not what Gord was talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks