What's new

Reasons for Enterprise Cancellation (1 Viewer)

george fr

Auditioning
Did anyone do this: I purposely didn't watch "Enterprise" on Tv,because I knew it would come on dvd at some point.Being a "Trekkie",I knew I'd buy it and could watch it anytime without commercials and in my own time.I just wonder how many other people opted for that and just watched other shows on dvd.I wonder if the fantastic packaging of shows led to the downfall of this show.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I saved the last half of season four for DVD. I did not watch the end of season four when it aired, knowing that it would be on DVD soon. Other than hearing that the cast was upset by the ending I've avoided all meaningful spoilers, so I am looking forward to season 4 on DVD.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I didn't bother with Enterprise, as I'm not much of a fan, but I have pretty much givin up on Network TV for TV on DVD. I will basically check out a few episodes to see if it interests me, and if so, wait for the DVD, similar to what you did with this.

I wonder how many more are doing this?

And to stay on topic, I would probably be tempted to try out a bunch Enterprise and Next Generation, as I have heard good things about both of them (DS9 lost my interest after season 2, and Voyager just looked about as temptiong as a shit sandwich to me), but the price point is way top high for these shows. I planned on getting T.O.S boxsets, but I just can't justify more than $65-$75 for Tv on DVD (CDN dollars, with $75 being my limit for a "Season or Volume collection)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
After watching the series finale I was so upset with how Paramount handled the final episodes ... especially the ending. They cut Jonathan Archer's big speech out at the end which I was looking forward to hearing.

What happened? The writers of Star Trek couldn't get inspired enough to write an inspired speech for Archer's speech to the United Federation of Planets?:thumbsdown:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Well, the finale was a disgrace, but the episode that preceded it, Terra Prime, was excellent, and gave Archer a nice sum-up speech at the end, with due to the crew. With the exception of the season 4 opener (which had to tie into the season 3 closer) and the season 4 finale, season 4 was one of the best seasons of any Trek. I believe it was the Bits (or maybe TV Shows) that said "if you only get one season of Enterprise, make it season 4." I agree.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Enterprise didnt pick up till the last few episodes of Season 2. The middle of S2 was so bad a lot of people left and never returned. S3 and 4 were excellent. There were one or two crappy ones but every season of trek has had at least one bad episode. Im on the final S2 episode now. I look forward to the Xindi Arc in a few months

capt

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
I gave up on watching Enterprise during its first season, as over here it was being shown cropped to 4x3. I'm holding out for an eventual hi-def format release in however many years time, as I've reached the point in life where I don't want to have to keep replacing whole swathes of Trek; I've already done it once in upgrading all my Original Series/TNG/DS9 VHS tapes to DVD (haven't got round to Voyager yet), and I figure Enterprise will get a complete re-run in 16x9 here at some point in the future.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
I've been watching this mostly for the first time on DVD and I must say that Season Two is why the show was eventually cancelled. Millions of people dropped the show after the chainsaw episode - what the hell was that? Archer in Bo Derek braids? *Crazy* - where did the writers from TNG and Voyager go? Surely the network new the writing was horrid. Oh and the theme, what kind of theme is that? I love the song, but it belongs on a western or drama not a sci-fi show.

I wonder if sales of the next DVDs will suffer?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorely tempted to move this thread to TV Shows/HD Programming. But keep referring to the DVDs and it can remain here.

And I'll add this: Voyager, as bad as it was, at least managed to pull me in through the bitter and awful end. After which, I was so burnt out that it took time for me to return to the glories of Star Trek on DVD. I was that down on the franchise.

With Enterprise, I was attracted until about midway through the first season, after which the B&B Effect just overcame everything. Tired cliches, already rehashed in previous Trek series, were the norm. By the second season, it was obvious the series was going nowhere and I just gave up and simply followed the threads in TV Shows.

The third season, with its "Xindi" arc, just sounded silly, trite, and time-wasting.

Then, everybody started praising the show with the fourth season. But I just didn't care. I did, however, tune in for the series finale. My goodness. How awful.

So, I can tell you that the series never will join the first three on DVD in my library.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I used to be a Trekkie. Original Series? I'm in the process of buying it. TNG? There are about fifty episodes I'd like out of the entire run. DS9? Maybe three or four real mould-breakers just as a record of the show. Voyager? You couldn't pay me to watch that again.

Notice a pattern?

Enterprise - I gave up in disgust after three or four shows, although I've occasionally looked in out of a sense of not-wanting-to-miss-anything. But I haven't. Enterprise was the franchise's biggest missed opportunity and frankly I was surprised it made it to four seasons.

I think I realised I was looking at a thanksgiving dinner when they unveiled the costume designs and it was obvious the production team was happy in the rut it had dug itself. When the show premiered, it became even more obvious - Berman's need for constant conflict, the interminable technobabble, the inevitable sininster story arc the series needed like a hole in the head (the temporal Cold War). Why couldn't they have played on the sheer WOW factor of being in space, the culture clashes and culture shock? Couldn't the show have been a couple of tones lighter after that dirge they called Voyager? Couldn't we have had some real Jim-Kirk-style fun with the franchise after all this time? Did we even need the militaristic stylings of Starfleet when it would have been so much more interesting to go out into space all wide-eyed and innocent - "Hi, I'm Captain Arch...aaargh!!!"
"Do not be concerned , Captain. That is merely their way of saying... hello."

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Yep, this was the series' biggist failing, in that it didn't bother to follow its own concept. This should of been about exploration, discovery and wonder, and didn't contain much of all three.

Fans like to pat the third season on the back as an improvement, but they seem to ignore the fact that the creators basically tossed the whole original concept of the show out the window to do it. I didn't sign up for that. It also didn't help that the ending was somewhat of a letdown.

Season 4 may have been good, but I just didn't care any longer.

Jason

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't watch Enterprise because I felt it was an attempt by Rick Berman to piss on the Original Series. If they were intent on doing another series it should have taken place in the far future.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I felt exactly the same, except that I perked up when I read that B&B would be handing Enterprise over to someone else in the fourth season (Manny Coto). That got me to tune in, and I'm glad I did. It was a great year, and I am looking forward to adding it to my DVD collection (the only year of either Enterprise or Voyager that will be added).

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
They should have made more changes than they did. Keeping the same writing staff who were obviously burned out on Trek by then was a huge mistake.The tone was WAY too close to Voyager which IMO spent seven years redoing the WORST of TNG.

And Russel, I'd give DS9 another chance. I kept falling off when it originally aired but rediscovering it on Netflix has proved it to be the best written of all five series. DS9 was the franchise at its peak. Once it ended, there was nothing much left.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The problem is, of course, that they cancelled it just after it had stopped sucking (so much). And then, to add insult to injury, they ended the series with probably the biggest bag of suck of the whole four years.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
I do love the packaging - with the exception of the plastic folding trays. The plastic tabs on these sometimes break. It's too bad Voyager and TNG didn't get nice sturdy cases like Enterprise.:frowning:

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
People, including myself didnt like the writing and the show overall wasn't worth purchasing because it was a bore to watch. That's why it was cancelled.
You want a good show to watch on DVD, watch B5 or Farscape or if you can get your hands on the new Doctor Who. Now that's entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks