What's new

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Boxed Set (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll probably buy this, just because it's such a deal. I'm not a huge fan of the show, but all my friends keep trying to sell me on it, this is prabably the best way to pick it up.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hoe

lee

Shit.

Best deal ever. Boy I am glad I slacked off on purchasing this. Here is hoping they follow with Angel.

--
H

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i wouldn't be that eager to buy this new set unless the packaging allowed much easier access to individual discs than these fold outs do.
if the whole set were in a compact slipcase with dual disc thin packs, and took up less shelf space than the 7 individual sets, then i probably would be interested in it.
as much as i love the show, this is just a low priority at this point

but-this also just may make it under the gun for the next possible DDD sale...

TroyMM

Grip
I have no problem with studios releasing boxed sets for a lower cost. It makes sense, the people that really want a product will buy it when it is released for top dollar, then over time, once sales start to fall off, studios lower the price (or release a boxed set for lower cost) for the people on the fence. It makes sense. It makes money and everybody is happy (kinda).

My problem is that one bonus disc (special bonus disc containing a brand new documentary featuring Joss Whedon).

This to me is a slap in the face to all the loyal fans who bought the seasons when they came out and ensured the success of the series on DVD.

As a reward for buying the discs early, you get nothing and all the people who waited will now get the special rewards (ie lower price, extra disc, special packaging).

Hopefully if there is any justice, that one disc will be offered to the loyal fans who did buy early. (but I doubt it)

I will not be double dipping on this series (even though it is one of my favorites).

I suppose Angel will follow suit.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
As long as the AV presentation is up to snuff, they could be barebone triple-sided DV-27 shiped in jewel cases cases for all I care.

--
H

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

I couldn't agree more. I'm all for low priced boxsets that include previously released material, as not everyone had DVD players when some films/shows first came out, etc, and I myself have gotten great deals on films that I held off buying when first released. But extra content is rather a poor idea. It should be made available as an stand-alone disc for those who already own the prior sets. Especially, as the description seems to imply that the episode discs are the same as already released, i.e. no improved remasters, etc., so there's no impetus on that front to want to purchase the set.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I hope they don't do this with "The X-Files", although I think it would be too cost-prohibitive. If they added a bonus disc, the complete "X-Files" would span 60 discs (61 if the movie is included). Considering that the "X-Files" sets ran about twice as much as the "Buffy" sets, I'd estimate that a box containing the complete series would run about $600 (40 discs vs. 60 discs = 150% more content, which would be $300 vs. Buffy's $200, then double that). As someone who's always been somewhat interested in watching "Buffy", this is appealing to me but I can totally see how this would be considered a slap in the face to everyone who supported the earlier releases. I think it's only fair that Fox and HBO (in the case of "Sex in the City") offer fans the chance to get the bonus disc some other way. Universal allowed the consumers who purchased the first two "Jurassic Park" films the opportunity to get the box and bonus disc when the third one came out, and Palm Pictures sent the bonus disc from their "Director's Label" box set to the people that bought the discs seperately.

Aren't there a bunch of cuts and alterations on the "Buffy" sets? Fox should use this opportunity to correct them.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Gord,

Is it confirmed that this is the previous releases all in one set? Wasn't some Buffy seasons shot in 16:9, but put out in 4:3 in the boxsets? I thought I heard that some where, and am wondering if this set might not correct some this, if I am remembering it correctly. (Like how the upcoming "Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection" from universal is to have animorphic transfers oif some of the previous non-animorphic titles.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

They were shot 16:9 but always intended to be shown as 4:3 so the R1 DVDs are the correct aspect ratio. In other words, there's just wasted space on the sides that wasn't supposed to be seen if you see it 16:9:)

I gotta say that this isn't too bad of a deal. While I own all seven season, I doubt I'd ever buy this set since I'm not a HUGE Buffy fan. Hopefully the new disc will be something cool for the fans.

Bill, I don't think Fox will release the X-Files sets again. Besides the reasons you listed, I think that the new X-Files mythology sets are Fox's equivalent of this new Buffy release. Just a guess though.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
oooooooooooohhhh!!!

I wonder if Fox will supply review copies of this.

I have all seven sets but would gladly get rid of the ones I have claim it if they sent them out.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
I consider myself to be a HUGE Buffy fan, willing to buy almost anything with the name on it. With that said, I'm seriously considering buying this set, even though I already have all Seven seasons. I'll wait to see what the packaging is like. I really don't care to hear what Joss has to say in a documentary, considering he's not very wellspoken and often bored. His commentaries are awesome, but he's not as well enjoyed in video. If the packaging is extremely nice and convenient, then I might buy it. You can't beat $150 for 40 flippin discs.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
any word if the video will be remastered or anything? Seasons 1 and 2 are really beginning to show their age.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Once I see the packaging I'm definitely thinking about braving the Ebay waters. $25 for Seasons 2-7 would pretty much pay for the new set assuming there is a decent sale when it first comes out.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I doubt there will be anything done to the discs, since that means redoing a bunch of the set, which raises the price.

Gord

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Gord, Do you think it's possible that they will make the box and bonus disc available seperatly so we can just put our old discs in it?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I've often thought that episode guide books should be the same dimensions as a DVD case, so that they can fit alongside such sets. I expect that is what they're doing here.

As much as I like the idea, I won't buy this all again. I enjoyed my season sets and love them as is.

I'm sure I will see the bonus disc *somehow*, even if it and the book aren't sold separately. If they're smart, they'll sell the book with the bonus DVD bundled at bookstores, just to make sure that bootlegs don't run rampant.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Seasons one and two look pretty bad but the show was shot on 16mm back then. Also, if you have a flag reading progressive scan DVD player, the first few seasons have terrible combing issues at edits, unless you could force your player into VIDEO mode. All cadence reading players, (faroudja) seemed to be fine with them though.
And the biggest annoyance is that what many Scoobies consider to be one of the best and most ambitious episodes which was shot WS, "Once More With Feeling" is not anamorphic on the season 6 boxset. R2 had it anamorphic. They even released a standalone DVD of that ep. and the documentary. If anything is gonna be on a bonus disc, give us a new anamorphic transfer of the musical!!!!!!!!
also, the R2 sets have the "previously on BTVS" recaps before the shows. And when The brilliant one before the ep. "The Gift" was still omitted there was quite an uproar. Those would be nice to have back.

Grrr, arghhh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks