What's new

How Close is Too Close To Sit To a 65 Inch CRT-RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Right now, I am sitting about 12 feet from my 65 inch CRT-RPTV. A perfectionist has said that this is too close.

On Comcast cable, the best HD material is stunningly clear and sharp. Well recorded DVD looks excellent. Even most SD is more than acceptable.

I would rather sit where the best quality feed looks good rather than where the worst quality feed looks good.

THX calls for a huge amount of your field of vision to be taken up by the image. I am not trying to achieve that.

I know there are other formulas, but I am asking more from your personal experience.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

To get the most out of an HDTV signal ... you have to be 1 to 3 times screen height in seating distance.

65" = 32" high ... x 3 = 96 inches or 8 feet.

12 feet actually sounds fine.

Regards

Shane Burton

Agent
Well, I think it just adds up to....what do you like? I sat 11 feet away from a 120" screen and loved it. A lot of people would say that is way too close.

Personal preference, in my opinion....

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Michael

I had thought I was 11 feet, but when I remeasured, I am 12 feet from the screen.

All I can tell you is what he said:

"At 11 feet, a 65 is simply too large. PQ will not be the best compared to a 55 at that distance. If you moved your sitting position farther back, the a 65 would be ideal otherwise you are giving up PQ for size and it simply isn't a good idea. A 55 looked small to me at the store but in my TV room, a 55 is HUGE. My father in law has a 65 at 10 feet back and it does look bigger but worse. It's because it's too close."

Apparently, his personal experience.

This came up in a discussion of his plan to jump in on HD DVD and my suggestion that his money might be better spent on one of those 65 inch Mitsubishi CRT-RPTV with the 9 inch guns, if he could find one.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
A well setup CRT projection display, front or rear, supports very wide viewing angles, as close as 1x screen width. I'm sitting closer in feet, to a screen 80 inches wide, without degradation. I am very picky, and I sit much further back when viewing digital displays, than most people. I would say the guy may be referring to digital-based RPTVs, in which case he may be correct, but not with a CRT RPTV.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Actually, he is referring to CRT-RPTV. I was just trying to help him out. I just felt that there would be a vastly bigger difference going from a 55 to a 65 with 9 inch guns, compared to going from DVD to HD DVD, as an early adopter.

I know that when I browse in stores, even the 57 inch look way small. He likes Mitsubishi and might still be able to find a 65 with the 9 inch guns.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

Michael - is that a typo? 1 screen height away is good? So sitting 32" away from a 65" screen would be at the minimum end of "good?" That doesn't sound right.

Shane Burton

Agent
Well, this is really the point...everyone has different vision, therefore "perfect" distance is different to everyone.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
>>>>everyone has different vision, therefore "perfect" distance is different to everyone.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
My rule has always been to sit at the shortest distance at which you cannot resolve individual scanlines or pixels. I'm at 7 ft. (screen to eyeball) from a 56" CRT-HDTV. SD cable is right at the limit (i.e. if I zoom a widescreen show, I can see scanlines), but HD is outstanding. I'd say your "perfectionist" is one by title only (and self-titled at that). Seems there may be a little peni... er, uhm ... screen envy going on here.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.

When your nose shows signs of chaffing, it's too close. Anywhere else that you enjoy the TV the most is the best place. Your friend can sit on the floor where ever he likes...

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
It's too depressing. I don't have the budget...

To determine the height of a 16:9 screen, divide the diagonal by 18.4 and multiply by 9.

As previously stated, A 65 inch hdtv will have a height of 32 inches and a width of 57 inches, and should be viewed from a distance of eight feet or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks