-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Animated Batman films get re-released

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 06:00 AM

On October 4, WB will re-release the three animated Batman films. Everything seems to be the same, except they're cheaper and in a keepcase now, made to look like the Return of Joker disc:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

As well as somthing entitled "Batman vs. Dracula" on October 18 (same day as the 1989-1997 Batman Anothology):

Posted Image

Quote:
Gotham City is terrorized not only by recent escapees Joker and Penguin, but by the original creature of the night, Dracula! Can Batman stop the ruthless vampire before he turns everyone in the city, including The Caped Crusader, Joker and Penguin, into his mindless minions?

DVD Features: Featurette: "Science vs. Superstition": Batman's computer gives light to the legend of Dracula and all its rumors. Other: 1) "City of Knight": Click on a map of Gotham and discover behind the scenes and hidden buttons with short video clips of the making of. 2) "Voices in Close Up": Multi-window montage with pop-up trivia boxes and interview footage give intimate interview looks at the voices behind Batman vs. Dracula.

#2 of 37 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 07:30 AM

Why? What's the point of rereleasing these movies unless they have better bonus features?
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#3 of 37 Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 08:21 AM

Is WB finally dumping the snappers?

And hey WB why not release them all on 10/18? C'mon let's see how many bat dvds can be released in one day!:b
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#4 of 37 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 08:26 AM

WB has been dumping snappers for keepcases for the last six months to a year. The only thing they're "behind" on now is the switch to slim cases.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#5 of 37 FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,108 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 03:12 PM

Re-releasing dvds at a lower price is simple economics. There are a certain amount of people who are willing to buy a dvd at a certain price level. Once that's been done, lower
the price and that brings in newer customers who were not willing to buy at the previous price. I see nothing unusual about what they are doing.

#6 of 37 Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 03:39 PM

What would've been a lot more cool is a boxed set for the animated series direct-to-video movies (like what Babylon 5 got). They could've squeezed one more boxed set out of Batman: The Animated Series (which my sister just started buying on DVD with Season 1 last month).

#7 of 37 John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 03:46 PM

I don't have the old releases, so I get these new releases. Yaah!

#8 of 37 RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 03:46 PM

Better cases + Better prices = much better sales and a happy customer. When you risk older snappers cracking with one wrong move, these are a godsend.

Ryan

#9 of 37 Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 04:31 PM

Is Batman vs. Dracula from Batman:TAS? Or from the current Batman series?

#10 of 37 Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 04:42 PM

Thomas, Batman vs Dracula is from the current series.

#11 of 37 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,872 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 01:31 AM

All for lower prices and new cases. But, instead of retreading old releases. How about releasing more Justice Leagues and Batman Beyond episodes?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#12 of 37 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 02:20 AM

Is it true that some of these are pan-and-scan? Like the Catwoman disc?

#13 of 37 Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 03:38 AM

Quote:
Is it true that some of these are pan-and-scan?

No. MotP is anamorphic widescreen. Freeze and Batwoman and RotJ are full frame. Don't know about Dracula, that series isn't my cup of tea.
Xbox Gamertag: badlieut

#14 of 37 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 03:51 AM

Notice no Batman Beyond: the Movie.

Best Batman series of them all, IMO - a series that feels like Blade Runner-meets-Batman - and still only sporadic releases.

I want a season set release of Batman Beyond and I want it now! Waah.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#15 of 37 Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 03:57 AM

Batman Beyond: the Movie was a collection of episodes, much like Last Son of Krypton and World's Finest.

The fact that they haven't rereleased these is a positive sign for box sets. We're supposed to get the last Batman and Superman Vol. 2 by the end of the year. Which, given WBs release pattern would mean we would see Batman Beyond or Justice League (with Superman Vol.3 if Vol. 2 is as small as Vol. 1) next summer.

I'll get all the Bruce Timm shows but i really want JLU. That'll be a wait.
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#16 of 37 Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 04:08 AM

I'm shocked they are holding back on Justice League. With the rest of the shows the staggered release is a bit understandable but they are missing out on huge cross marketing possibilities by not releasing the JL/JLU seasons while JLU is still on the air.

#17 of 37 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 04:20 AM

Quote:
Freeze and Batwoman and RotJ are full frame.

According to a review on Amazon, Batwoman is pan-and-scan, as bonus features feature shots from the film in 1.78:1. This is confirmed by this review: http://www.dvdtalk.c...ead.php?ID=7967, and Subzero seems to be unmatted: http://www.dvdtalk.c...ead.php?ID=3785

By the way, these are eight bucks apiece on DeepDiscountDVD.

#18 of 37 Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 06:51 AM

Quote:
According to a review on Amazon, Batwoman is pan-and-scan, as bonus features feature shots from the film in 1.78:1. This is confirmed by this review: http://www.dvdtalk.c...ad.php?ID=7967, and Subzero seems to be unmatted: http://www.dvdtalk.c...ead.php?ID=3785

Never knew that about Batwoman. I didn't explore the supplements on the disc. I used to own the LD of Subzero which I believe was matted so I knew for certain that it was full frame. I assumed they did the same w/ Batwoman. That sucks.
Xbox Gamertag: badlieut

#19 of 37 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 03 2005 - 08:22 AM

I was just thinking about the movies while watching Vol 3 of BTHAS. I wonder if we well see these bannded together in a value set at a cheaper price point?

Is Batman Vs. Dracula an actual movie or a collection of episodes that well most likly be doubled on the eventual box set?
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#20 of 37 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 09:08 AM

Sub-Zero was released straight to video, however the laserdisc release was widescreen (1:85:1)I believe.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow