What's new

Animated Batman films get re-released (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
On October 4, WB will re-release the three animated Batman films. Everything seems to be the same, except they're cheaper and in a keepcase now, made to look like the Return of Joker disc:

As well as somthing entitled "Batman vs. Dracula" on October 18 (same day as the 1989-1997 Batman Anothology):

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Why? What's the point of rereleasing these movies unless they have better bonus features?

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Is WB finally dumping the snappers?

And hey WB why not release them all on 10/18? C'mon let's see how many bat dvds can be released in one day!:b

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
WB has been dumping snappers for keepcases for the last six months to a year. The only thing they're "behind" on now is the switch to slim cases.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Re-releasing dvds at a lower price is simple economics. There are a certain amount of people who are willing to buy a dvd at a certain price level. Once that's been done, lower
the price and that brings in newer customers who were not willing to buy at the previous price. I see nothing unusual about what they are doing.

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris
What would've been a lot more cool is a boxed set for the animated series direct-to-video movies (like what Babylon 5 got). They could've squeezed one more boxed set out of Batman: The Animated Series (which my sister just started buying on DVD with Season 1 last month).

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Better cases + Better prices = much better sales and a happy customer. When you risk older snappers cracking with one wrong move, these are a godsend.

Ryan

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Is Batman vs. Dracula from Batman:TAS? Or from the current Batman series?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
All for lower prices and new cases. But, instead of retreading old releases. How about releasing more Justice Leagues and Batman Beyond episodes?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Is it true that some of these are pan-and-scan? Like the Catwoman disc?

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

No. MotP is anamorphic widescreen. Freeze and Batwoman and RotJ are full frame. Don't know about Dracula, that series isn't my cup of tea.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Notice no Batman Beyond: the Movie.

Best Batman series of them all, IMO - a series that feels like Blade Runner-meets-Batman - and still only sporadic releases.

I want a season set release of Batman Beyond and I want it now! Waah.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Batman Beyond: the Movie was a collection of episodes, much like Last Son of Krypton and World's Finest.

The fact that they haven't rereleased these is a positive sign for box sets. We're supposed to get the last Batman and Superman Vol. 2 by the end of the year. Which, given WBs release pattern would mean we would see Batman Beyond or Justice League (with Superman Vol.3 if Vol. 2 is as small as Vol. 1) next summer.

I'll get all the Bruce Timm shows but i really want JLU. That'll be a wait.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I'm shocked they are holding back on Justice League. With the rest of the shows the staggered release is a bit understandable but they are missing out on huge cross marketing possibilities by not releasing the JL/JLU seasons while JLU is still on the air.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

Never knew that about Batwoman. I didn't explore the supplements on the disc. I used to own the LD of Subzero which I believe was matted so I knew for certain that it was full frame. I assumed they did the same w/ Batwoman. That sucks.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was just thinking about the movies while watching Vol 3 of BTHAS. I wonder if we well see these bannded together in a value set at a cheaper price point?

Is Batman Vs. Dracula an actual movie or a collection of episodes that well most likly be doubled on the eventual box set?

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Sub-Zero was released straight to video, however the laserdisc release was widescreen (1:85:1)I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks