What's new

Does it get any better than the Sony Wega KV-27FS12? (1 Viewer)

I'm looking for a capable 27" TV to replace my aging Magnavox. I was in Best Buy the other day when I spotted the Sony Wega KV-27FS12. This TV seemed to fit my needs very well based on the following criteria...
1. Inputs: Component input for use with my Toshiba DVD player, 2 composite inputs for use with my VCR and Dreamcast, coax input for the DirecTV receiver, and another set of composite inputs on the front.
2. 16:9 Enhanced Mode: This would be perfect for viewing anamorphic DVD's. However, it bothers that this mode can only be activated by the TV menus and not the remote. Anyone know if this can be activated by a learning remote?
3. Gotta love a flat screen.
4. Price was right, $569. This is about the maximum that the wife would allow into putting into a new TV.
The TV would be used in a small-ish townhouse so the size is about right and I have no central receiver so all the video/audio switching would have to be done by the TV. Due to Sony's marketing campaign and me not keeping up with the latest developments in TV developments means that the Sony Wega TV's are about all I know of currently that would fit my needs.
So I'm hoping this wonderful forum could offer me some advice on this particular set or a comparable set that is perhaps cheaper and fits my needs just as well.
So I'm wondering, "Does it get any better than the Sony Wega KV-27FS12?" Any information is greatly appreciated.

DarrinH

Second Unit
yep the KV-27XBR400
------------------
The EC
The Entertainment Cave
"People that talk in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch"

Todd J. Derr

Auditioning
I just went shopping for a 27"; I considered the Wega but ended up buying a JVC 27D502. It's definately a step down from the Wegas, but it's also a lot cheaper - $369 from Circuit City. It's not a flat screen, one less input (2 in the rear including one component, and one in the front). It doesn't have a 16x9 mode although I've heard you can do "the squeeze" from the service menu. It's a nice set, good value for the $. The speakers are decent, which is a consideration if you're not using a receiver.
I didn't compare them myself, but I've heard that the wega FV16's have much better speakers than the FS12's, plus PiP and maybe some other features... but of course they cost more. Philips and JVC also have 27" flat screens in the $600 range that are worth having a look at. I didn't consider any of them too seriously because that was more than I wanted to spend (I was looking for a set for the bedroom)...

Scott_Sl

Auditioning
Well, I went shopping for a 27in Tv set for a while, looked at many of the different forums and decided on the JVC I'art. Everyone seems to agree it has the best comb filter and less problems. Though it has no anamophic mode you can do the squeeze trick with. Plus it has lots of hook ups in the back and front. From what I seen and heard, this is the 27in TV to buy.

Thanks for the replies. The JVC sets do look interesting. I'm going to have to find a place that has them both so that I can see them side by side and too see just how much difference the 16:9 mode of the Wega makes.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
----
Thanks for the replies. The JVC sets do look interesting. I'm going to have to find a place that has them both so that I can see them side by side and too see just how much difference the 16:9 mode of the Wega makes.
----
Trust me, the WEGAs 16x9 mode makes all the difference in the world when you're watching anamorphic DVD source material. A downconverted anamorphic image on a set without this feature looks pitiful by comparison. If the JVC is not capable of the squeeze without introducing geometry distortion (like their D series sets) then the WEGA beats it for DVD viewing, no question.
DP

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
WHY are you people considering a brand that is trying to defeat free HDTV access? This should be a no-brainer -- go for the VVEGA.
- Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks