Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Experience with J&R Music World

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   JoshMa

JoshMa

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 12:45 PM

I recently ordered a Harman Kardon AVR-635 from J&R music world online. My order just arrived Friday. It came out of the box looking like someone took a hammer to it. I promptly notified customer service and received a RA#. She said that they would schedule a UPS pick up that should occur no later than Tuesday. Does anyone else have any experience returning/exchanging merchandise with J&R that they would share? I'm just trying to determine what I'm in for, and how long this is going to take. Thanks for any help.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Mitch G

Mitch G

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 01:50 PM

I bought an MP3 player from them which subsequently failed a couple of weeks later. They no longer carried the model I had bought so they gave me one that was a bit more expensive in exchange.
Overall, it was a good experience, all things considered.

So, I wouldn't freak out - yet.

Mitch

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,831 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted July 31 2005 - 02:07 PM

I've ordered small things from them (e.g. CDs, DVDs) many times and found them quite good to deal with.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 03:59 PM

I ordered a HK 435, the box was in decent shape, a bit "rounded" on the edges, but the box that actually held the 435 was in great shape. The unit has worked perfectly since I have received it.

FYI, if the box looked like a hammer had been taken to it I guarantee it was UPS's fault of throwing it and not J&R.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter

• 1,367 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 05:07 PM

J&R is a first rate company to deal with. You'll have no problems.
"What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

"For the first few minutes of the film, I had accidently listened to the Dolby Digital track." - Ron Epstein (HTF)

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted August 01 2005 - 01:02 AM

I actually go to the store often and I purchased one of those DVI to HDMI cables adapters and when I learned that it would work because of HDCP issues with the Zenith DVD player, I returned it for Die Hard Trilogy Box set and no questions were asked. I'm happy with their service.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   JoshMa

JoshMa

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted August 01 2005 - 01:05 AM

Thanks for the responses everybody. It wasn't the box that looked like it had been worked over by a hammer, it was the actual receiver. I was a little dismayed to find that J&R shipped a piece of electronics that heavy, in such a flimsy outer box that contained only a bag of air on one side for protection.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted August 01 2005 - 01:37 AM

J&R has very good customer service.

The quality of their double boxing leaves a good bit to be desired. As Josh said, they now (at least for receivers) simply put a very hastily inflated (if at all) clear plastic bag of air under the manufacturers box. The outer box is just adequate.

The sloppy bag of air does next to nothing. This is a clear decline from their double boxing from perhaps, 5 years ago, when they might have been using plastic peanuts.

I have never received anything where the unit itself was beat up, but they will make good. Unless the manufacturers box was messed up, they would have no way to know the unit was messed up.

Buyers expect sealed manufacturers boxes, so they can't open every box to see if the unit is ok.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 03:42 AM

Heh, I bought my 635 from them, too!

Arrived quickly and unharmed.

I am literally listening to it as I type!

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   JoshMa

JoshMa

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for rubbing it in Kenneth. Posted Image

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 01:26 PM

Posted Image