Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: The Complete Thin Man Collection (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED).

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 06:45 AM

My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Claus Nielsen

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 08:37 AM

Great review. I can't wait until my copy arrives.

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,589 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 09:45 AM

What can I say but yet another excellent WB release and a wonderful review written by Herb. Thank you Herb. I pre-ordered this the day it first went up on Amazon and anxiously await its arrival. These are the kinds of films that one can watch over and over and never get tired of. Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 31 2005 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the review, Herb. I'll be visiting Sams and Costco on Tuesday to see who has the better price on this. We watched The Libeled Lady a couple of weeks ago, and Powell was just great. I may just have to fire up My Man Godfrey in preparation for Tuesday. - Steve

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 31 2005 - 08:06 PM

I've made it through four of the dvds with only "The Thin Man Returns Home" and "The Song of the Thin Man" left along with the bonus disc. This is a fine set, but it would've been nice to have a commentary at least on the first three films. Anyhow, so far I agree with Herb about this set except his film ratings. Over the years, I've changed my rankings of the films from "The Thin Man" being the best of the films followed by "After the Thin Man" to now reversing those rankings. The second film in this series is much funnier and entertaining to me. The rank difference in those two films isn't very much, but "After the Thin Man" did have me laughing out loud more than a few times. Also, the video quality of "After the Thin Man" was damn good because even though I've seen this film countless times, for the first time, I noticed Penny Singleton's freckles on her shoulders and upper back. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted August 01 2005 - 02:40 AM

Amazon split my order and only just shipped this a day or 2 ago, so I anxiously await its arrival! Great to hear to is a top notch package.

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted August 01 2005 - 04:19 AM

Thanks guys...

Crawdaddy.... I came close to awarding Song only 3-1/2 stars but with my girl Gloria in it, I just couldn't do it... Posted Image
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted August 01 2005 - 11:55 AM

My order still hasn't been moved into shipping soon yet by Amazon. If there is one complaint I have with these Warner Box sets, Warner & Amazon need to get together to make sure that they have enough in stock so those who order it before release date don't have to wait two or three days after release date for these to ship. Paul

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 06:22 AM

I would have gotten this in a second, but am a bit peeved that I have to pay for another copy of "The Thin Man" in order to get the rest of the movies. But I assume I will have no choice . . .

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 07:05 AM

The box set will run you $40-50, a thoroughly reasonable price for just the five sequels. Then do what I am and give the single to some poor soul who hasn't seen it and make his life happier.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 07:24 AM

It's a great set, but the bonus disc didn't cover the most important actor in the series -- Asta!
Even if the sequels were available individually, the box set would probably be cheaper than the other five movies. I know when the Classic Comedy set came out, I only wanted two of the films but ended up getting the whole thing because it cost less than the two movies on their own.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Kevin_Lodge

Kevin_Lodge

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted August 02 2005 - 10:35 AM

I picked the set up today at Sams Club for $37.23

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted August 02 2005 - 02:14 PM

wow...Amazon had it here on release day! That has to be a first....I couldn't be happier. I was only able to pop each of them in quickly to see how they look and I'm very very thrilled with the set. I can finally retire my battered old VHS copies...woohoo! I first fell for these movies way back in the days of the Dialing for Dollars Movie every afternoon at 4:00 and have loved them ever since. One funny thing...the liner notes on the extra disc list Kevin Kline as the narrator on the Powell bio...imagine my surprise at hearing MICHAEL YORK'S voice on the actual disc! It's funny that Warner's commitment to getting everything as close to right as possible never extends to the staff doing the covers (remember how Stephanie Beacham ISN'T in The Horror of Dracula?) No matter, it's minor (and kinda funny) and I wouldn't part with this set for the world. Just super!

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,589 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 12:35 AM

My set also arrived yesterday and to say the artwork, packaging is first rate is an understatement. Even the menus look beautiful. Have only watched "After...." and it looks superb. It will take some time to get through this set because of all the bonus features. Warners has done pretty much everything they could to honor and respect these films and its fans with how they put this together. As much as I loved the transfers of the Rathbone Holmes films that came out a couple of years ago I thought the packaging and bonus features weren't all they could have been. Warners has now set the gold standard on how a classic film series should be released. If anybody from WB is reading this, you have my sincere "thank you" for a job well done. Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,949 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 03 2005 - 03:01 AM

Sigh. I have yet to receive a shipping notice from Amazon for my order. Posted Image

I'm looking forward to sharing these films with my wife. I've seen them several times on TCM, but she's never experienced a Thin Man film.

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 03:31 AM

I think Robert Crawford has a point about ranking "After the Thin Man" above "The Thin Man". They've both great but "After" runs more smoothly.
Plus, it has Jimmy Stewart as the murderer!
A feature on Asta would have been cool, though its not like the Tarzan set where they could actually show a living Cheetah. According to imdb, Asta was so popular that he actually caused wire-haired terriers to be over-bred.

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit

• 256 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill GA USA

Posted August 04 2005 - 11:04 AM

I just realized the set I purchased today at Best Buy, (the last copy they had in town), has two copies of "Another Thin Man" and no "After The Thin Man". Has anyone else encountered this apparent packaging snafu?

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Dave Jessup

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 05 2005 - 03:16 PM

I'd like to be able to comment on the snafu - or the set - but there seem to be no copies in town. Either Rochester has a huge clientele of classic film buffs (hey, Eastman is here, after all) or local retailers dreadfully under-ordered. Had to settle for watching the trailers last night; in due course I look forward to all the goodies!

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   DavidBC

DavidBC

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 11:02 AM

Does anyone know where there's scans of all 7 covers? I'd really like to see the art.
I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted August 06 2005 - 02:08 PM

You can get a rough idea of the individual coverart here. DVD Profiler has the front & back covers posted. If you don't have Profiler, you can view the scans in my online collection (link below), look in "Wish List".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users