What's new

John Ford - The Searchers SE 2006 confirmation (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Sweet! It's been mentioned as a likely 2006 SE release for a while now, but it's certainly good to hear anything confirming that directly from the studio. But I think they originally released it in, uh, 1997, not 2004. I've owned since I first got a DVD player in 2000.

I wonder what sort of restoration process it's undergoing. It wasn't a three-strip Technicolor film, so it wouldn't be Ultra-Resolution like Wizard of Oz. Given Warners' track record, we can be sure it'll look great.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

John Ford and John Wayne films released on new dvds are going to be large next year for Warner.

David Jay

Stunt Coordinator
Can't wait for this. I rented it from Netflix a few months back and loved it, one of the best Westerns I've seen. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought this and "Stage Coach" were rumored for the John Ford boxset.

It's great to see a confirmation! this is deffinately in the must buy catagory for me.:emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Oscar,
Early in John Ford's career, most of his films in the post silent screen era were either with Fox or RKO. After WWII he started his own production company and would distribute his films either with RKO or Republic. He then enter a period in which several of his films were released by MGM, Warner and Columbia. Anyhow, the following is some of his films that Warner has dvd rights to besides Stagecoach and The Searchers.
  • Fort Apache
  • 3 Godfathers
  • She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
  • Wagon Master
  • Mogambo
  • Mister Roberts
  • The Lost Patrol
  • Wings of Eagles
  • Cheyenne Autumn
  • The Fugitive
  • The Long Voyage Home
  • Sergeant Rutledge

Crawdaddy

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Warner has a few of the greats...

How the West Was Won
Sergeant Rutledge
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
The Searchers
Stage Coach
They Were Expendable

Fox owns a ton of them and has already done a great job on some of his other classics ("Grapes of Wrath", "How Green Was My Valley", "My Darling Clementine") with their Fox Studio Classics line.

I wish either Warner or Fox owned "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", as that could probably get a really good edition as well. But just a simple catalog release from Paramount as usual.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

But wait, there's more!

Warner has domestic home video rights to Wayne/Ford collaboration THE LONG VOYAGE HOME under license (as is the case with STAGECOACH) from Castle Hill Productions, and lest we forget John Ford's sequence in HOW THE WEST WAS WON.

In terms of John Ford films that don't have John Wayne in them, Warner also has: MARY OF SCOTLAND, YOUNG CASSIDY and SEVEN WOMEN.

MARY OF SCOTLAND

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

If you noticed in my post, I did say "some" of his films, not all of them controlled by Warner. By the way, Turner Classic Movies is getting ready to show "Seven Women" very soon which was Ford's last directed film.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Didn't John Ford direct the 1935 picture The Informer which won the best actor Oscar for Victor McLaglen ? I think this was produced at RKO. This could go in a Ford boxset or part of the best actor/actress sets that they could promote around Oscar time. Warner has a batch of unreleased best actor/actress pictures including Jane Wyman in Johnny Belinda/Spencer Tracy in Captain's Courageous/Ginger Rogers in Kitty Foyle/ Paul Lukas in Watch on the Rhine etc.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Frank, I was think exactly about that. I think that WB could release two box sets on february: one for a best actor collection, including Tthe Champ, The Informer, The Story of Louis Pasteur, Captain Corageous, Sergeant York and Watch the Rhine, and another one for best actress collection including The Divorcee, Morning Glory, Dangerous, Good Earth, Kitty Foyle and Johnny Belinda.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks