Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

John Ford - The Searchers SE 2006 confirmation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 of 47 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 30 2005 - 09:19 AM

http://dvd.ign.com/a...5/635898p1.html

Quote:
During a recent question and answer session about the upcoming release of The Wizard of Oz, Warner Brothers Tech Operations President Chris Cookson announced that the next film in line for restoration was none other than the John Wayne classic The Searchers, which the company originally released in April of 2004.

Cookson, along with Technical Operations Mastering VP Ned Price, described the elaborate process of remastering older films, indicating many of the problems that occur due to distortion and print aging, and suggested that the film will potentially look better than it ever has.

Awesome news

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 47 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted July 30 2005 - 09:35 AM

Sweet! It's been mentioned as a likely 2006 SE release for a while now, but it's certainly good to hear anything confirming that directly from the studio. But I think they originally released it in, uh, 1997, not 2004. I've owned since I first got a DVD player in 2000.

I wonder what sort of restoration process it's undergoing. It wasn't a three-strip Technicolor film, so it wouldn't be Ultra-Resolution like Wizard of Oz. Given Warners' track record, we can be sure it'll look great.

#3 of 47 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 30 2005 - 09:36 AM

Weren't we supposed to be getting a big John Ford boxset from Warners next year?

#4 of 47 OFFLINE   Jing_B

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted July 30 2005 - 09:49 AM

Cross My fingers Stagecoach would get a 2-Disc Restoration as well.

#5 of 47 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 30 2005 - 09:53 AM

Sweet! It's been mentioned as a likely 2006 SE release for a while now, but it's certainly good to hear anything confirming that directly from the studio. But I think they originally released it in, uh, 1997, not 2004. I've owned since I first got a DVD player in 2000.

That's correct, I bought that dvd on its release date that Fall.
Weren't we supposed to be getting a big John Ford boxset from Warners next year?

John Ford and John Wayne films released on new dvds are going to be large next year for Warner.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#6 of 47 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 30 2005 - 09:54 AM

wow that is very good news indeed

Posted Image

#7 of 47 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted July 30 2005 - 09:57 AM

I hope they will include 'Fort Apache' - that's overdue for a DVD release.
Bruce Morrison

#8 of 47 OFFLINE   David Jay

David Jay

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted July 30 2005 - 12:39 PM

Can't wait for this. I rented it from Netflix a few months back and loved it, one of the best Westerns I've seen. Posted Image

#9 of 47 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 31 2005 - 05:08 AM

I thought this and "Stage Coach" were rumored for the John Ford boxset.

It's great to see a confirmation! this is deffinately in the must buy catagory for me.Posted Image

#10 of 47 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 05:10 AM

Just to be sure.

Which John Ford movies are Warners apart from Stagecoach and The Searchers ?

#11 of 47 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 31 2005 - 05:47 AM

Just to be sure.

Which John Ford movies are Warners apart from Stagecoach and The Searchers ?
Oscar,
Early in John Ford's career, most of his films in the post silent screen era were either with Fox or RKO. After WWII he started his own production company and would distribute his films either with RKO or Republic. He then enter a period in which several of his films were released by MGM, Warner and Columbia. Anyhow, the following is some of his films that Warner has dvd rights to besides Stagecoach and The Searchers.
  • Fort Apache
  • 3 Godfathers
  • She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
  • Wagon Master
  • Mogambo
  • Mister Roberts
  • The Lost Patrol
  • Wings of Eagles
  • Cheyenne Autumn
  • The Fugitive
  • The Long Voyage Home
  • Sergeant Rutledge

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 47 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 05:49 AM

Cheers Crawdaddy

#13 of 47 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 05:49 AM

Warner has a few of the greats...

How the West Was Won
Sergeant Rutledge
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
The Searchers
Stage Coach
They Were Expendable

Fox owns a ton of them and has already done a great job on some of his other classics ("Grapes of Wrath", "How Green Was My Valley", "My Darling Clementine") with their Fox Studio Classics line.

I wish either Warner or Fox owned "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", as that could probably get a really good edition as well. But just a simple catalog release from Paramount as usual.

#14 of 47 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 05:51 AM

Dane

Those three you mention from the FSC are absolute gems

Posted Image

#15 of 47 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 31 2005 - 05:55 AM

I wish either Warner or Fox owned "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", as that could probably get a really good edition as well. But just a simple catalog release from Paramount as usual.

Paramount is doing some great things with John Wayne films so they may revisit that title.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#16 of 47 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
Oscar, Early in John Ford's career, most of his films in the post silent screen era were either with Fox or RKO. After WWII he started his own production company and would distribute his films either with RKO or Republic. He then enter a period in which several of his films were released by MGM, Warner and Columbia. Anyhow, the following is some of his films that Warner has dvd rights to besides Stagecoach and The Searchers.

Fort Apache

3 Godfathers

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Wagon Master

Mogambo

Mister Roberts

The Lost Patrol

Wings of Eagles

Cheyenne Autumn

The Fugitive

Sergeant Rutledge

But wait, there's more!

Warner has domestic home video rights to Wayne/Ford collaboration THE LONG VOYAGE HOME under license (as is the case with STAGECOACH) from Castle Hill Productions, and lest we forget John Ford's sequence in HOW THE WEST WAS WON.

In terms of John Ford films that don't have John Wayne in them, Warner also has: MARY OF SCOTLAND, YOUNG CASSIDY and SEVEN WOMEN.

MARY OF SCOTLAND

#17 of 47 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 31 2005 - 06:23 AM

But wait, there's more!

Warner has domestic home video rights to Wayne/Ford collaboration THE LONG VOYAGE HOME under license (as is the case with STAGECOACH) from Castle Hill Productions, and lest we forget John Ford's sequence in HOW THE WEST WAS WON.

In terms of John Ford films that don't have John Wayne in them, Warner also has: MARY OF SCOTLAND, YOUNG CASSIDY and SEVEN WOMEN.

MARY OF SCOTLAND

If you noticed in my post, I did say "some" of his films, not all of them controlled by Warner. By the way, Turner Classic Movies is getting ready to show "Seven Women" very soon which was Ford's last directed film.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#18 of 47 ONLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 08:06 AM

Didn't John Ford direct the 1935 picture The Informer which won the best actor Oscar for Victor McLaglen ? I think this was produced at RKO. This could go in a Ford boxset or part of the best actor/actress sets that they could promote around Oscar time. Warner has a batch of unreleased best actor/actress pictures including Jane Wyman in Johnny Belinda/Spencer Tracy in Captain's Courageous/Ginger Rogers in Kitty Foyle/ Paul Lukas in Watch on the Rhine etc.

#19 of 47 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 31 2005 - 08:51 AM

Didn't John Ford direct the 1935 picture The Informer which won the best actor Oscar for Victor McLaglen ?

Yes, that's another of his early RKO films.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#20 of 47 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 03:57 PM

Frank, I was think exactly about that. I think that WB could release two box sets on february: one for a best actor collection, including Tthe Champ, The Informer, The Story of Louis Pasteur, Captain Corageous, Sergeant York and Watch the Rhine, and another one for best actress collection including The Divorcee, Morning Glory, Dangerous, Good Earth, Kitty Foyle and Johnny Belinda.

Forum Nav Content I Follow