What's new

Setting and Hookup Help for infocus 4805 (1 Viewer)

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm helping a friend finish a home theater in his basement. He just bought an Infocus 4805. Projectors and TV's are the least I know about home theater. So I have a few questions.

Hookup: We have component video cables from the DVD player to the receiver (Onkyo TX-SR702), then to the projector. Is this OK? We did this so he could hookup multiple sources to his 4805.

We got the 4805 up and running last night but when playing a DVD we still had black bars above and below the picture (movie was Star Wars Ep. II). Shouldn't the movie fill the entire projected screen since it is a 16:9 projector? Or do I have something setup incorrectly? Right now we have the DVD player set to 16:9 and the projector set to 16:9. Is this right?

Should the progressive scan on the DVD player be on or off? I know the 4805 has the Faroudja de-interlacer, but I’m not really sure how all that works. His DVD player is a Denon 1710.

I think that’s all I can think of for now. I would really appreciate the help. Any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Troy

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Since no one else has jumped on you this question yet, I'll try to be brief. 16:9 = 1.78 aspect ratio. your movie (and most new releases) are 2.35. See the problem here - different shape. You have it set up right for your player. I'm surprised there isn't a sticky on this here although the "Master Burn-in" thread covers it a few times.

1.85 theatrical releases match up well with almost invisible bars. On a tube set they will be hidden in overscan while a FP will show them.

The 4805 does great de-interlacing and scaling with the built in chips, generally better than all but the best DVD players. This has been covered in all the 4805 threads, here and elsewhere. Try it both ways. Most people find that progressive DVD output is not usefull for this FP.

This topic would probably have been more appropriate to the 4805 thread although your questions have been answered many times before. Search is your friend.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for your help, Steve.

I apologize for asking the same old questions. :frowning: I tried the search function, but there was just too much information to weed through. I'm a bit of a newbie to the display scene so I got bogged down by all the tech talk. So I got a bit frustrated searching, especially after only 3-4 hours of sleep. I needed help fast, since he wanted to get his setup done this morning (we were up to about 2 A.M. last night trying to figure things out).

Thanks again.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I just got my 4805 and was amazed how well it works on my old tapes (mostly Beta). A 2.35 movie at 10' wide is about 51 inches high -- blackout cloth comes in 54 inch width so guess what my screen is right now. I'm getting ready to paint the 10' section of wall however so I can open up for standard TV and HDTV. It's strictly a widescreen movie setup right now.

I read the entire thread at AVSforum and had a chance to see an X2 before I made the plunge. I was afraid that no one would respond to some recurring questions and you might think no one cared. If I was more energetic I would have provided some links but I didn't have anything relevent bookmarked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks