What's new

What should be my next purchase? (1 Viewer)

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Currently I have JBL E30's connected to a Panasonic SA-XR25. I'm trying to decide if my next speaker should be a center channel (EC35) or a subwoofer. My budget is roughly $200 but I don't know what subwoofers to consider. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Dayton 12 inch from Partsexpress is under $200 delivered. Will give you a huge difference compared to adding a center.

Alan M

Second Unit
I would think a lot would depend on you HT.The "I'm a guy,I need more beer,pretzels,more bass" is the immediate answer.Your HT situation should dictate the next purchase.

While a sub,will give your HT more punch,does your HT suffer from any of the following? do you find voices not being centered when watching movies? Do those voices seem to move around your HT? do you find Voices hard to understand? Does your front soundstage seem less then full?

If you suffer none of these afflictions:D ,then a sub would be a likely next purchase.

I would agree with Arthur.In your price range,the dayton 12' sub would be a very smart buy well within your budget.

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at the specs on that subwoofer last night. My house has an open floor plan, will this 12" Dayton perform better than the 10" that everyone raves about? I also noticed that the 12" only has a one year warranty as opposed to the five year for the 10".

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
For a larger space, the 12 inch Dayton should be a better choice than the 10 inch, especially for like, $15 more. As far as the shorter warranty, I had not heard about that. Disappointing if true, but that is not going to stop many people from buying the 12.

It is so new, there are just a few responses from owners basically saying it sounded good.

Over the next week, owners will have posted much more specific info on the 12. Perhaps it would be wise to give it another week or 2.

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
To answer Alan M's questions, I don't suffer from any of those.
Would my options change much if I were to increase my budget to $300?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
By upping your budget to $300 you would add several candidates to your list, for example JBL E250P. Cosmetically, the JBL would be nicer. There probably would not be much of a difference in the sound.

If you want to increase your budget to the low $300 range, 2 of the Dayton 12 will give you most bang for buck.

To make a quantum leap from Dayton 12, you are talking about $420 for SVS PB-10 B-Stock.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I say wait for another month or so and save like the dickens for that SVS sub. Then your at least in a league of big differences that you will notice forever!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
For what it is worth, I have purchased 2 SVS B-Stock subs and they were both in virtually perfect condition, cosmetically, electrically, mechanically. No problems of any kind.

I believe the SVS PB-10 is $399 B-Stock. Plus about $20 shipping. The only other thing I would mention about PB-10 is that it does not have a crossover. Your receiver would have to control which frequencies go to the sub.

I don't know what the sub crossover frequency is on your reciever, probably 100Hz. With the PB-10, you are stuck with whatever your receiver has.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
For the same price (don't forget shipping), you could also get an Acoustech H100 ($250) and a center channel. The H100 is no SVS, but it's still no slouch and will give you a lot of boom for your buck.

Or, if you only have the two mains right now, you could go for the center and surrounds and fill that out -- then think about adding the sub down the line.

Do you want bass right now? Or do you want actual surround sound right now?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The SVS B-Stock varies from day to day. You have to check every day to find the model you want. You may have to wait till they have the exact model you want.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Good advice here. Save up for a better sub if you can wait. It will serve you better in the long run. I have to say that if you are planning on getting the PB10 (or any other SVS for that matter) consider getting a parametric EQ at some point as well. It will make a big difference in how well it plays in your room.

Mike

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

The Dayton 10" (PN 300-632) is also a one year warranty; I think you were looking at the info for the Dayton Titanic Mark III (PN 300-761), which is $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks