-

Photo

Fantastic Four Double-Dip

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   Chris Bergmann

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 07:32 PM

From http://www.homemedia....rticle_id=7814

Quote:
Director Tim Story thinks bigger will be better on DVD. He cut his comic book movie, Fantastic Four, down to a fast-paced 105 minutes for its hit theatrical release, but he has proposed an extended cut of the movie, in addition to deleted scenes as an extra feature, for the DVD.

“I feel like now people have seen the kind of fast- paced ‘get in and out’ version,” Story said. “We’re talking [about] only a handful of scenes that I might put back into the movie just to allow the movie to breathe a little bit.”

Extended cuts have become more common as studios look for opportunities to create additional, sellable versions of the same film. Many directors take issue with the term “director’s cut,” insisting that adding more does not necessarily make the film better. But Story is okay with creating additional versions with films under the right conditions.

“I don’t mind that, as long as I have the say so of what [is put back in],” he said.

Fantastic Four tells the origin of the team of superheroes exposed to cosmic radiation in outer space, resulting in each one developing unique powers. Most of the film’s visual effects are on display in theaters, but Story said he has saved a few for his extended cut.

“There are a couple of things with special effects in them that we actually finished up and then [will] put into the movie, so it’ll be interesting to see how people respond to it,” he said.

To complement or offer an alternative to the extended cut, Story also has plans for the standard array of DVD extras for Fantastic Four.

“There are going to be a lot of deleted scenes and commentaries, and we’re going to have a lot of special effects features,” he said.

I liked F4 a lot - it was a fun little movie which never tried to be anything but a lot of fun (unlike Spider-Man 2 which tried to be an Ingmar Bergman film and ended up being an overlong Dawson's Creek episode with special effects).

My only complaint was that it seemed too short, too rushed.

Looks like the director agrees.

Too bad we'll probably have to wait until Summer 2006 to see the longer version.

#2 of 60 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 08:21 PM

I enjoyed this and will probably wait for this
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,008 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 27 2005 - 11:09 PM

The shortness of the movie is one of the things that I liked about it. To me, it seems like alot of movies today run an extra 15 or 20 minutes too long only just so the audience can feel like they got their $9.25 worth.

Obviously, the footage that they want to add back to the FF could be a few minutes that actually improves the movie but I have a feeling that will add, say, an extra 30 minutes just so they can say that it has '30 MINUTES OF UNSEEN FANTASTIC FOOTAGE' on the cover of the disc. They'll put everything back into the movie whether it works or not.

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 11:29 PM

great, one dvd less to buy this year

#5 of 60 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,016 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 12:44 AM

when I first saw the F4 movie, I did feel that some stuff was cut out.. however when I did watch it again.. It seem just fine to me. I would still be interested in the directors cut or exended edition of the fantastic four!

JACOB

#6 of 60 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 01:06 AM

How about this for an extra, hidden as an Easter egg:

On Disc 1, press the Up arrow on your remote to highlight the 4 symbol. Press Play, and you'll get to see the original unreleased "Fantastic Four" film from Roger Corman from 1994, all made for the gloriously low-budget price of $2 million! Posted Image

Now that would be a lotta fun! (I know it's wish-fulfillment, but hey, gotta go with something when you have your caffeine in the a.m.!) Posted Image
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 02:13 AM

I would love to see that one as well
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,016 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 02:28 AM

I do not want to see the corman version.. it was terrible.. I just want the 2005 version.

besides I heard they burned the ****** movie.. thank god.

JACOB

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,008 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 28 2005 - 03:15 AM

What's funny is that they could sell a fair number of the Corman version (even separatley) just to people who are curious to see how bad it really is. Posted Image

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 03:38 AM

Is this still considered a 'double dip' if you know about an extended version BEFORE the regular version comes out Posted Image?

#11 of 60 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 04:27 AM

Not necessarily. The LOTR extended versions were announced at the same time as the 2-disc theatrical versions, as Peter Jackson had deliberately planned it that way to make the extended versions more faithful to the books by putting in more content that the longtime LOTR readers would recognize. So it's not the first time this sort of thing has happened.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 04:37 AM

No, I mean, the term "Double Dip" refers to when another version comes out AFTER the original version is out. We double dip because we already own the first, then buy the second.

Knowing about the second version in advance, allows us to pass on the first (or just buy the first because we may not want the 'extended' version), thus negating the "Double Dip". Posted Image

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 05:40 AM

Extended version of F4 sounds great. I am curious about the Corman version too.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,419 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted July 28 2005 - 01:34 PM

I will be happy with more...as long as more includes
Ben Grimm NOT hooking up at the end
to make everyone feel cuddly.

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 03:58 PM

I'd love an extended version, but I'd still get the theatrical version. I'm a Marvel completist. Posted Image

#16 of 60 OFFLINE   John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 04:37 PM

I'm pretty sure that nowhere in that article does Story say there is going to be a double dip.

Of course, there most likely will be, but it doesn't say there will be multiple releases.

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   Porfirio

Porfirio

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 07:04 PM

Ahh... the Corman version. That flik is so bad that it oozes of cheese (just like Velveta mac & cheese). Posted Image But then again, I must be sick in the head 'cause I got a kick out of Corman's FF and... I like my mac & cheese. Posted Image

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   Chris Bergmann

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 07:13 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that nowhere in that article does Story say there is going to be a double dip.

But when was the last time we got an extended version of a movie as the first release?

And please stop the F4 bashing - compared to that pretentious cure for insomnia called Batman Begins it was a masterpiece.

#19 of 60 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,291 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 29 2005 - 01:42 AM

Jacob said:

Quote:
I do wonder if tim story is now able to talk about a exended edition for f4 now that its a huge hit?

Did you even read the first post of this thread???
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#20 of 60 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 29 2005 - 02:15 AM

Thread reopened.

This thread is for discussion of the upcoming Fantastic Four DVD and its features. Anyone who wants to discuss the merits of the movie (or of other movies such as Batman Begins) should go to the appropriate threads in the Movies forum.

Popping into a thread like this just to trash the movie is thread-crapping, and that's been frowned on at HTF for a long, long time.

Thanks for your cooperation.

M.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

Forum Nav Content I Follow