What's new

BATMAN (1943 serial) Oct 18, 2005 (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
DVD Drive-In is reporting that the first 1943 BATMAN serial hits DVD on Oct 18th.

Good news, but is there any chance it will be the original, unaltered version? I kind of doubt it; this will most likely be the same version (altered) released by Goodtimes in 1989.

I've got a copy of the original version, and most of what was changed was the narration at the beginning and end of the chapters, which would be considered racist today. The Goodtimes version has rewritten and revoiced narration by Gary Owens from "Laugh-In"!

I think they should release the original version but include a little featurette that would comment on wartime attitudes, etc.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great news if it's the original uncensored version. Otherwise I'll pass. I have some optimism in that this is coming from Sony and not a budget label.

Steve

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
The serial was released in 1943, and there are many references to "Japs" and many anti-Japanese slurs. Frankly, this serial goes beyond non-PCism and is downright ugly in its racism.

I'm surprised Sony is releasing it, but since they are, I hope it's the original version, with a disclaimer, as suggested above (maybe good ol' Leonard Maltin'll do it).

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
With cases like these, I can understand censorship as an option. I think the best way to present something like this would be to default to the censored version but make the original version an option. Burying it in the setup or special features menu would probably be adequate but they could even include it as an easter egg or flag the disc to be an "adult" title so that people that use parental controls wouldn't have to worry about their kids watching it. Basically, it boils down to this: it's not a good idea to have kids picking up something full of uses of terms like "jap" because they saw "Batman Begins", "Justice League Unlimited" or "The Batman", but the original version should be available for those of us that are capable of viewing the film in it's original context.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I'm willing to bet the original version will be offered. I'm sure Sony knows the only people that will buy this want the original version, and no one would buy the altered version.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Seeing as Sony's "Batman And Robin" was complete, I'd be surprised if this is altered at all. Has sony released cut product before? I have many complaints about Sony's DVD releases, but cut presentations hasn't been one of them yet.

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator
So by the end of the October, we'll have the 1943 and 1949 serials, the Adam West movie, the two Michael Keaton movies, the Val Kilmer, George Clooney and Christian Bale movies, not to mention a handful of animated interpretations... so why can't they figure out how to release the 1966 TV show already?!?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I have seen the original serial in 35mm from a vintage, unaltered 1954 theatrical re-release print. There are not that many references to "Japs" in the 15 chapters. Perhaps two or three times in the opening voice-over, and two times when Prince (Doctor) Daka is recognized by Linda Page and the Batman.

The most derogatory comment is in chapter one when the announcer proclaims that a "wise government rounded up the shifty-eyed Japs."

These voice-overs were redone for the 1966 theatrical re-issue, and that's the version which has been syndicated to cable and released on video by Goodtimes.

Clay_E

Second Unit
:b Oh, dear God, I'm an idiot...sorry about that! I was reading this at work and somehow managed to miss that completely...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks