What's new

Wild Palms...Finally on 10/05 (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard anything about whether or not a release of the miniseries "Wild Palms" (I think it was circa 1992, had Jim Belushi..) has a shot of coming onto DVD? I was thinking about this miniseries as well when I noticed the Twin Peaks DVD collection. :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
[size=]And what a great series this was. :emoji_thumbsup:

I have the LD boxset. :)[/size]

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
At the time I thought this series was pretentious garbage, but on reflection, it is pretentious garbage that evokes a certain era (was it early nineties or late eighties?) that I'd be nostalgic enough to want to see again. Bring it on.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I really enjoyed the Wild Palms miniseries and I'd love to see it released on DVD! They could include the series introductions from the Sci-Fi Channel as extras. :)

Gregory

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I'd replace my tapes of this in a second if this came out. For anyone who enjoyed the series I reccomend the superior graphic novel on which it was based.

Richard

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I've been getting all nostalgic about 1993 - does anyone recall a TV series called Wild Palms? I'd love this on DVD, don't think I have ever heard a word about it.

For those who can't remember anything about it, Wild Palms was a comic strip created by Bruce Wagner. It was transformed into six hour mini series, and touted as the new 'Twin Peaks.' I can't recall too much about it (other than I liked it) but it's plot was about virtual reality, showbiz, religious groups, drugs and multi-media moguls. Unlike Twin Peaks, the show did have a beginning, middle and an ending. The most accurate way to pitch it would be that it was a surrealist spin on Dallas and Dynasty.

Other talent involved in this were Oliver Stone producing with Kathryn Bigelow, Keith Gordon, Phil Joanou and Pete Hewitt on directing duties. On the acting from we had Jim Belushi, Dana Delaney, Robert Loggia, Kim Catterral, David Warner, Brad Douriff and many others (who I can't recall)

The DVD release campaign starts here.

Rand

Supporting Actor
A guilty pleasure. The acting was pretty poor for the most part and the plot was murky at best. But I still enjoy this mini-series a great deal. Fortunatly I have it on laser disc and probably wouldn't replace it with dvd. Still it certainly deserves a dvd release.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was actually thinking of pulling this out of my boxes of VHS tapes now relegated to the basement. I'd love to hold off and pick this up on DVD. So whoever holds the rights, you can add one sale!

Maybe the TV guru Mr. Lambert can fill us in on any potential?

John Watson

Screenwriter
I've posted (here and elsewhere) in favour of that mini series coming to DVD about half a dozen time in the last few years.

I loved the campiness, and the Citizen Gates overtones ("Windows"), and all the VR gloss, plus it gives me Kim Cattrall as Paige Katz, in a Bettie Page look. Great colour, allusions to Yeats (the great poet), a good trip!

I bought the Video Cassette set a few years ago, but it plays poorly, it was from Anchor Bay tho, so maybe they still hold some rights to it?

Maybe (conspiracy from hell?) Microsoft doesn' want us to see it :D

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I love that show. I've seen it several times over the years and it never fails to entertain. I'm sure the Scientologists don't care for it either, as it's a pretty thinly-veiled slam on them.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Well, I've only ever seen it once, but it seems totally forgoten about now. I rarelly hear anyone talk about it. I fond this odd when you consider how 'Twin Peaks', 'X-Files' and 'Space: Above and Beyond' is still pretty much in the consumer consciousness, even though both series have long since ended/flagged.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, I know nothing about this coming to DVD. Actually, I almost skipped reading this thread, since I only was lukewarm about it when it aired. I might be willing to give it a second chance on DVD, though.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
This was really one of the best directed mini series ever to air. Each of the directors really made each episode their own. I remember one scene where House of the Rising Sun is playing that was extremely effective. I think that was a Keith Gordon episode.

I have the laserdisc box set of it. Haven't watched it in years. Would also love it on DVD.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Those series were popular on their initial broadcast. Wild Palms was largely a flop, and AFAIK it was never rebroadcast. Its fans are devoted but few.

M.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
It'll be a shame if it doesn't ever make it to DVD, certainly when you consider the amount of TV pap getting released now.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, even the VHS is oop now. It featured about half an hour more of scenes than were on the TV broadcast that I taped.

The (rather poor) soundtrack cd can only be found second-hand. Its best feature was the Ryuichi Sakamoto opening theme, which I still love.

Many "unlikely" programs have come to dvd to date, so I'm not giving up hope.
:)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Plus, it has Bebe Neuwirth, who has a following from her work on Broadway, and James Belushi is a selling point too, to some extent.

I wasn't too keen on it back in the day, but I'd like to see it again.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I was just browsing and Search brought up a thread from last year, of TV shows unlikely to come to DVD, and someone mentioned Wild Palms.

Since some of the shows on that thread have come, what about Wild Palms?

My VHS copy is getting old :frowning:

And if it's not coming, who can I blame - Microsoft, or Scientology? :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd get this in a heartbeat! I loved the mini when it first aired and have watched my tape of it many times.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

There was an older thread, with which this has now been merged. It got missed when this forum area was created; so it was still in "Film and Documentary".

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks