-

Photo
- - - - -

Classic TV And The Top 100 Shows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 634 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 01:32 PM

The website www.classic-tv.com has listed the top 100 classic television shows of all time. The link for the top 100 is:

http://www.classic-tv.com/top100/

Many of these titles are still not available on DVD. Check out the list and let's chat.

#2 of 18 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 07:03 PM

That's a really good list.I agree with most everything,except for the numbers which some shows are ranked.Of the shows listed,which are not yet on dvd,the ones I'd like to see released would be Hill Street Blue,Family Ties,Leave It To Beaver,CHiPs,St.Elsewhere and Alice.I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

#3 of 18 Dan_V

Dan_V

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted July 26 2005 - 01:14 AM

Bewitched is #8 and Seinfeld #19? While I agree that the top 100 shows listed for the most part are the top 100, but lets be real, I'm sure no one has ever discussed an episode of Bewitched at the water cooler.

#4 of 18 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,782 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 26 2005 - 02:51 AM

Like all Top 100 lists, I'll look at the shows listed and just ignore the ranking. No one is ever going to completely agree with another person on which show is better than the other.

And how old is this list? It says The X-Files is still airing and it ended in May 2002. Posted Image

#5 of 18 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,607 posts

Posted July 26 2005 - 03:47 AM

A completly worthless list - far too american-centric. Where's Monty Python? Where's Fawlty Towers? Blackadder? Doctor Who? Blake's Seven? The Prisoner? What about Macross/Robotech? Yamato/Star Blazers? Hell - Speed Racer?

Television does not begin and end at the US borders.

#6 of 18 Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted July 26 2005 - 04:12 AM

True, Tony. I love Star Trek but Voyager? Doesn't deserve it.

I guess I should be happy. Most lists assume that once they put the original series in the top 5 they're done with the franchise.
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#7 of 18 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted July 26 2005 - 04:20 AM

Where's Monty Python? Where's Fawlty Towers? Blackadder? Doctor Who? Blake's Seven? The Prisoner? What about Macross/Robotech? Yamato/Star Blazers? Hell - Speed Racer?
Even if they did have more British television, there'd still be complaining. Posted Image There are several British shows I find far superior to the ones you listed - Rumpole of the Bailey, To the Manor Born, The Good Life, Benny Hill, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, etc.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#8 of 18 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted July 26 2005 - 03:23 PM

Quote:
I'm sure no one has ever discussed an episode of Bewitched at the water cooler
And Bewitched didn't produce catchphrases that became part of the popular lexicon.

#9 of 18 Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis

Second Unit

• 491 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 02:11 AM

Quote:
And Bewitched didn't produce catchphrases that became part of the popular lexicon.

I really like Seinfeld (one of my fav' show ever!), but I'm not sure that the appeal will last longer than Bewitched's... I'm not sure even that Seinfeld will stand the test of time...
I don't think Seinfeld will be "discovered" by each new generation...

#10 of 18 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,782 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 27 2005 - 02:25 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure that the appeal will last longer than Bewitched's... I'm not sure even that Seinfeld will stand the test of time...
I don't think Seinfeld will be "discovered" by each new generation...

I think the exact opposite. I think Seinfeld will be as well remembered 50 years from now as I Love Lucy is today. Of course, only time will tellPosted Image

#11 of 18 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 02:58 AM

I like the blurb for THE SIMPSONS:

Quote:
...has entertained audiences for nearly a decade (!).

I was entertained for about 7-8 seasons. Posted Image

#12 of 18 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 04:45 AM

Oh please.....Bonanza (#28) better than Gunsmoke (#61)- don't make me sick!!!!! Marshal Dillon could outdraw all of the Cartwrights, and besides, why be stuck in that dusty old Ponderosa with Hop Sing while you can have fun at the Long Branch Saloon with Miss Kitty, Festus, and Doc?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#13 of 18 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,607 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 07:39 AM

Quote:
Even if they did have more British television, there'd still be complaining. There are several British shows I find far superior to the ones you listed - Rumpole of the Bailey, To the Manor Born, The Good Life, Benny Hill, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, etc.

Better than Doctor Who? Speak not such blasphemy!

But yeah, at least SOME of these shows should have made the cut. Sadly the blinders were on for this list.

#14 of 18 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 02:06 PM

Quote:

No show added more catchphrases than Laugh-In. Where is that on the list?

#15 of 18 LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 06:00 AM

Yikes, what a crappy list. Anybody who ranks BEWITCHED above THE AVENGERS has got a screw loose.

#16 of 18 Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 08:30 AM

Quote:
Bewitched is #8 and Seinfeld #19? While I agree that the top 100 shows listed for the most part are the top 100, but lets be real, I'm sure no one has ever discussed an episode of Bewitched at the water cooler.

I disagree with the ranking also, but I remember watching Bewitched when I was a kid and talking about it later. I'm sure it was discussed around watercoolers during its original run and a few years afterward.

#17 of 18 RoyM

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 09:59 AM

While I will give credit to the compilers of this list for getting almost all of the genuinely deserving shows somewhere onto the list, the following, in spite of many being popular (and popular doesn't mean good), do not deserve "Top 100" acclaim (in my opinion):

Bewitched
Flipper
Gilligan's Island
Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C
I Dream Of Jeannie
Munsters, The
Laverne & Shirley
Welcome Back, Kotter
Diff'rent Strokes
Facts Of Life
Growing Pains
Head of the Class
Mork & Mindy
Three's Company
Webster
Dear John
Home Improvement

And the following that somehow made the list are arguably among the worst TV shows ever. What the hell were they thinking putting these in there?:

CHiPS
Love Boat, The
Mr. Belvedere
My Two Dads
Perfect Strangers
Silver Spoons
Small Wonder
Who's the Boss
Beverly Hills, 90210
Baywatch
Full House
Herman's Head