What's new

Favorite 70's Sci-Fi on dvd (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here are my favorites:

3. Battlestar Galactica

2. Space 1999. Great show. Some episodes are clearly worlds better than others though. Check out The Infernal Machine for an example of just how awesome Sci-Fi TV can be.

1. Planet of the Apes. I'm so glad this was released on dvd. Although it should have have had extras like audio commentary by the stars of the show. Easily one of the best sci-fi/escapist television shows ever created.

Anyone have personal favorites that are currently out on dvd, or you wished they were?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'm a 70's SciFi fan as well as the 60's. My signature says it all :D I'm wanting both "bionic" series on DVD but "the wait goes on".

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I wouldn't be surprised if this coincided with Bryan Singer's remake of the film. I doubt that will come out before 2007, probably more like 2008.

TedT

Second Unit
You're kidding me! They're doing a remake of "Logan's Run"?!??! Has Hollywood completely run out of ideas??!?!?!

I'd like to see the TV series on DVD, though I wonder how it would hold up.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
First three seasons of Blake's 7 are out in Region 2. There's even a special edition of season 3 with a blister-packed Liberator (looks like the Corgi version from the '70s).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't think Logan's Run will hold up very well, but who cares, the cheese is half the fun!

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I would love to have Jason of Star Command and Space Academy or any of the shows below on dvd!

And I agree with you Bryan H, my pota set is one of my most prized sets ever and is well worn.

My favorite 70's Sci-Fi shows (in no order)
Buck Rogers (released)
Battlestar Galactica (released)
Both Bionic series
Isis and Shazam
Jason of Star Command
Space Academy
Planet of Apes (released)
Logan's run
Ark II
Amazing Spider-Man
Incredible Hulk
Project UFO
Man from Alantis
The Powers of Matthew Starr too from the 80's.
And the list goes on.

[QUOTE} the cheese is half the fun! [/quote]
Logan's Run has less cheese then stuff now though. Cheese is a standard today. Anyone see the chronicles of riddick, the new FF movie or CatWoman? All we need is a bag of chips. :D

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will

Thank you. I've been trying to remember the name of that show for some time now. This is the one about an alien prince who's hiding on Earth and has psionic powers. If I remember correctly, it came on NBC on Friday night along with V and Knight Rider. Couldn't find info on it on tv.com though.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

No problem. It's off topic but here's the episode guide in case anyone is interested.
http://www.epguides.com/PowersofMatthewStar/[/url]

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

Yes, they have. If you haven't noticed yet, at least half of all the big releases are either remakes of old films and shows or sequels. Just going by this spring/summer/fall fare off the top of my head:

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
King Kong
War of the Worlds
Star Wars III
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Dukes of Hazzard
Bewitched
Land of the Dead
The Amityville Horror

The only good movie I've seen in the theater in a while that strayed from this pattern is "Cinderella Man".

And not only is "Logan's Run" being remade, but Michael Bay's new "The Island" is a very similarly-themed movie, but even more like a movie called "Parts: The Clonus Horror", which was so bad that it was an episode of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" at one point. In fact, there is probably going to be a lawsuit over the way-too-similar storylines and even copies of specific scenes and shots. Leave it to Bay to essentially remake an MST3K movie (without permission nonetheless). I can just see his next picture: Michael Bay's "Manos: The Hands of Fate".

Back to the real topic...

The only time I've almost bought a region-free DVD player and DVDs other than Region 1 or 0 was because of "Blake's 7". That show kicks butt. The characterization is what makes it, but I love the cheesy costumes, creatures and effects that many, for some reason, point out as a negative. No way!! Watching this show today, I'd have to say it's pretty close to perfect. Maybe it wasn't as great in its time, but it's pure retro-goodness now. This is one show I really doubt will have a Region 1 release ever. :thumbsdown:

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

It's pretty hard not to notice. And it'll stay that way as long as people keep paying to see them.
I avoid them at all cost! (Except for Star Wars which I grew up with.)

Bay is one of the directors I avoid. And now he's screwing up the new Transformers movie, these studio hacks don't care about the fans at all.

Boy, you know, I think I'll go live in a cave with my 70's dvds.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

Hey, I'd pay to see that!

I'll re-affirm the mention of Battlestar Galactica. I'm sick of people putting the original down when they talk about how good the remake is. Yeah, its cheesy, but it had some genuinely interesting ideas and I have a lot of fun watching it.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
How's the quality of the R2 Blake's 7? I'll be ordering the new Doctor Who box set when it comes out, and if these are any good I'll add them to the shipment.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Well, I only had the first season (the money dried up for the others and the dollar has been taking a beating against the Pound as of late) so I cant tell you much. The video quality was pretty good - at least for an ancient 70's low budget BBC TV show that didnt recieve the love and care that the Who releases get. The extras were kind of light, a handful of commentaries (fair to ok) and some pretty good extras (The Blue Peter section on how to make a teleporter bracelet was pretty keen).

HOWEVER, the first print run of the discs was buggered up. At the layer change - about midway through the second episode on the disc - some players would have trouble. Some would freeze all togther, some would stop playing, some would skip ahead just a bit in the episode. It was widespread enough that the BBC recalled the discs and issued another print run.

Now, season 1 came out a year ago, so the odds of you getting a bum disc is pretty low - but be mindful and ask some questions of the retailer when you buy. Fortunatly Sendit (blackstar at the time) has a great return policy, and took mine back without batting an eye. I just havent had the motovation to buy it again.

Dale_

Agent
Yes, they have. If you haven't noticed yet, at least half of all the big releases are either remakes of old films and shows or sequels.

Yeah, and how about that Four Brothers movie? The Sons of Katie Elder, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks