-

Photo
- - - - -

Stowe Vermont info please...?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 23 2005 - 12:16 AM

I know theres a few local residents that post here... are you guys farmiliar with the Smugglers Notch region cause I have a couple of questions?

1) How close is Bingham Falls from the Notch assuming you're driving through from Stowe Village (I guess Mountain Road?) through the center and up the peak? Is it just at the base and aaprox. how far walking distance from the parking area?

Also, can anyone tell me the quickest way in through the Notch if I'm driving in straight from the I-89?

2) Where is Moss Glen Falls located and is it in the Notch as well? Is it a hike to reach and aaprox. how far is Moss Glen Falls from Bingham?

If I wanted to park at the notch (just off Mntn. Rd. coming in from Stowe) for an hour or so while driving thorugh, and walk down to Bingham and Moss Glen to have a picnic lunch and take a dip in the falls before moving onto our destination, would that be possible or is it an afternoon activity?

3) Is it safe to swim in the falls, are there shallow rock pools to chilll and dip your feet in? Which of the two is better recommended, I guess scenic wise, if Im driving through and want to stop off, dip in and have a quick picnic lunch?

I'm trying to make up a schedule for this weekend in August. I'll be driving up to stay at the Von Trapp Lodge in Stowe and have the entire weekend planned out except for the first day. Hotel check-ins at 3pm but rather than waste the afternoon, I figure I'll leave around 10:30 and stop off at the Notch for a short couple of hours to have lunch and dip in some private pool off one of the falls. I've been through many times before but never really pulled over and got out for more than a few minutes to walk around and actually head down any of the paths or anything so I want to get an idea of where these two spots are in relation to ach other and whether this is possible or not. I dont mind a 30-40 minute trek through the mountain but I'm not looking nor have time for any crazy 4-mile hike if Ive gotta be at the hotel at 3pm.

Anyways, any info's appreciated!

PS - If you were gonna go on a 4-hour canoe river trip -- would you hit up the Lamoille or Winooski? Which is more picturesque & secluded and has a better chance of seeing wildlife and other cool stuff? Do they wind through the mountaina/forests or the farm side?

Thanks!

#2 of 5 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 23 2005 - 01:24 AM

Actually, forget my second question... I just want to know how to reach the Notch (not Smugglers Notch resort but the actual pass through Mountain Road which winds up the Notch) from the I-89 and where Bingham Falls is in relation to it? If we were to pull over at the top of Mountain Road pass through the Notch, would we be able to walk down to the Falls and also, is it generally a pretty quiet and secluded spot or will there be hundreds of annoying tourists with cameras crowding the area?

Thx.

#3 of 5 Richard Beckman

Richard Beckman

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted July 23 2005 - 08:59 AM

Try Google / mapping services.

#4 of 5 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 23 2005 - 12:41 PM

To get to the Mountain Road from I-89, get off Exit 10 then take VT 100 North to VT 108.

I don't know much about the specific area up there, so I can't really offer much more.

Some info at the VT State Parks website.

Also more here at Smugglers Notch resort.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 5 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 23 2005 - 11:35 PM

Thanks a lot Malcolm!